IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

On 8/31/2023 at 10:17 AM, seeteeyou said:

Personally I wouldn't even bother with any streaming services at all and therefore the whole point of having a router would be moot,

In reality, a significant number of Taiko Extreme owners have shown a preference for using Roon as their primary listening platform. This has led Emile to dedicate continuous efforts to ensure his server remains impervious to Roon updates and changes, striving to bring streaming sound quality on par with that of local files.

But what about the majority of DIY server owners here? Do they share the same concern regarding Roon and streaming?

At the same time, it's important to recognize that one can have a preference for local files. However, this preference often depends on how we define 'local files,' whether in comparison to streaming options or independently.

So far we've got only a few options out there, here's one from SOtM

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sni-1g/

https://audiobacon.net/2021/04/21/sotm-sni-1g-elevate-your-network-audio-system/

Yet another one from Hong Kong

https://www.vvaudiolab.com/products/97.html

https://www.carousell.com.hk/p/發燒友好評如潮-music-server-升級神器ocxo網卡-1194005806/

Maybe a couple of them from China as well

https://world.taobao.com/item/697110731909.htm

https://world.taobao.com/item/720695426742.htm

https://www.headphoneclub.com/thread-758395-1-1.html

http://www.erji.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2302188

Of course I'll be thrown under bus after saying this, stuff like QSA LAN Jitters plus their own cable might outperform everything else with a "plain vanilla" NIC on each end but YMMV.

Actually it's just too tricky to compare apples to oranges as well. Almost everything could be powered with only a single rail while Extreme Network Card would require two of them. In other words, is it still a fair comparison if two different PSUs / DC power cables etc. were used?

In addition, DAC cables might work best (of course other options are also available) between Extreme Network Card and Extreme Network Switch since they're designed to work together as a combo in the first place, while other options should be meant for the "regular" Ethernet cables with RJ-45 on both ends.

4 hours ago, BOBO said:

i`ve noticed that alot of power supplies have that blue potentiometer for voltage adjustments. 

how does that work, if the PSU`s current voltage is set to 12v, can i adjust it and set it to 5?

s-l1600 (11).jpg

Yes, this psu can be adjusted from 5 to 24v, but it depends on the voltage output of the transformer. I think to get 5v a 9v transformer are preferred,

but maybe a 12v can be used to…

2 hours ago, BOBO said:

ok, thank you for the info.

i have another question though. if the psu outputs 5v 3amp, does it do 3amp constantly or can i use it on a device that requires 5v 1amp ?

1 No, it does not.

2 Yes, you can.

"The draw" from the connected component should not exceed what the psu can "give".

23 hours ago, basillus said:

Yes, this psu can be adjusted from 5 to 24v, but it depends on the voltage output of the transformer. I think to get 5v a 9v transformer are preferred,

but maybe a 12v can be used to…

check with the manufacturer please, in general you need some voltage drop for the regulation but having excessive voltage drop can make the thing more noisy which IMO is contrary to the point behind using a dedicated PSU.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

6 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

check with the manufacturer please, in general you need some voltage drop for the regulation but having excessive voltage drop can make the thing more noisy which IMO is contrary to the point behind using a dedicated PSU.

Hard to say how much extra noise would result but a large voltage drop will surely generate a ton of excess heat wattage to dissipate! Remember, Volts (of drop) times Amps (of current load) equals Wattage (of heat to dissipate).

14 hours ago, Nenon said:

@BOBO - these things are so cheap, why don't you just order another one with the right voltage and avoid any risks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125943342243?chn=ps&var=426895517614

(there are many sellers and some sell them even cheaper)

Note: I don't recommend this product. 

I vote against the product, I bought a dual output dual transformer version based on this circuit to test the effect on SQ on my general use (not audio) Wifi AP's, the first transformer had a catastrophic meltdown within a month, used well within spec and the second one weeks later.....the only thing the seller could do was to tell me I surely had modified the unit and did not know what I was doing. 

junk.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

4 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

I vote against the product, I bought a dual output dual transformer version based on this circuit to test the effect on SQ on my general use (not audio) Wifi AP's, the first transformer had a catastrophic meltdown within a month, used well within spec and the second one weeks later.....the only thing the seller could do was to tell me I surely had modified the unit and did not know what I was doing. 

junk.

Sounds weird, was it with toroidal transformer or R-core transformer?

I have a few with R-core transformers and there have been no problems with them. It is basically the same psu as Xymox at "whatsbestforum" uses with a few modifications for his AppleTv X and switches/AP. 

1 hour ago, basillus said:

Sounds weird, was it with toroidal transformer or R-core transformer?

I have a few with R-core transformers and there have been no problems with them. It is basically the same psu as Xymox at "whatsbestforum" uses with a few modifications for his AppleTv X and switches/AP. 

the R core version, the weird thing was that one R core transformer was labeled 18V, which is a LOT for a 12V output PSU to didssipate in heat, the other side was a 15 V Rcore that also released its magic smoke....the first one we inhaled, for the second I recognized the smell.

2 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

the R core version, the weird thing was that one R core transformer was labeled 18V, which is a LOT for a 12V output PSU to didssipate in heat, the other side was a 15 V Rcore that also released its magic smoke....the first one we inhaled, for the second I recognized the smell.

Ok, sounds dangerous/worrying. You didn’t use both of the outputs?
Ask, because they are parallel connected, so if the psu max. is 3A, it will be max. 1.5A per. output.

I did use both outputs, my version was a dual output...one R Core rectifier caps and regulator per output.

to be transparent, it was not the same seller as the listing earleir shown...so YMMV

20 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

I did use both outputs, my version was a dual output...one R Core rectifier caps and regulator per output.

If Yours psu is the same as at “BOBO’s” picture, then it just have one regulator to both outputs and the outputs are therefore, as I wrote parallel connected.

it;s not the exact same yet it looks quite similar, anyway....beware of stuff that comes without proper certification/testing.

It might have been the R-Core it may have been the circuit....final result is the same, it almost caused a fire....the casing was too hot to handle and we partly inhaled the transformer 

Greetings, music, loving friends😎

I am going to start my Sage MB build in the Taiko case soon. I am going to be using the Taiko Rectifier, the big CAP and the Martin Mug chokes.

I have a feeling that I am going to need to drill some custom holes for the standoffs. I want to buy a tap and die set for the stand off screws, but I am having trouble identifying, the correct tap and die. I see that the thread for the standoff is #6-32, but the tap and die sets are not specified this way. Can anyone help me find the right tools for this work, please?

also, what size drillbit do I use to drill the hole, please?

is the bottom of the DIY Taiko case thick enough for tapped screws?  I am betting that the side walls are. 

has anyone else built a server with these components yet? I am hoping to see examples from others.

I still have a bit of time before I get started, but I will post pictures as I try to make decisions.

thank you 

I hope you all are enjoying some good music🎶

DJW