IGNORED

Let's be Honest and tell me the truth.

STC

There are many YouTube experts here who supposedly could tell from the YT audio all about the audio quality of a system.

Here I am posting two videos that have been bothering me for a long time. I have refrained from posting my own version because I could not get the same tracks used in these recordings and I could not get the same combination of equipment to make a fair comparison. Having said that, I have been making binaural recordings for a long time and most standard stereo setup. I have also posted some videos which I made during this year AV show. Unfortunately, the following the audio of binaural recordings did not reflect how stereo sound would be captured binaurally. It looks like Sennheiser and Sony binaural microphones works so differently than Roland CS10em which I use. Or is there something else?

Can you tell what does not quite fit in this video?

1) 

2)

7 hours ago, STC said:

There are many YouTube experts here who supposedly could tell from the YT audio all about the audio quality of a system.

Please name them .

I would be surprised if you needed more than one hand to count them with.:D

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Can't afford to watch this video properly, because laptop's running out of charge - went to the end where he describes the subjective experience ... yes, he's just talking about what a competent system should do; the sense of what the music is doing becomes so powerful, so enthralling - how many more years, 😝?

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Please name them .

I would be surprised if you needed more than one hand to count them with.:D

All those who thinks YT sound is unbearable. This is their opportunity to prove their point. 

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

Can't afford to watch this video properly, because laptop's running out of charge - went to the end where he describes the subjective experience ... yes, he's just talking about what a competent system should do; the sense of what the music is doing becomes so powerful, so enthralling - how many more years, 😝?

How sad? The laptop is against you when it matters the most. Once it had some response problem, then some major and now no charge. 

Anyway, you dont need hirez to tell something wasn’t as it seemed or sounded. 

22 minutes ago, STC said:

All those who thinks YT sound is unbearable. This is their opportunity to prove their point. 

I am not saying it is unbearable,. I am saying it is almost useless for this kind of thing and I believe that most members are not interested in wasting their time discussing this further with you.

To obtain any kind of meaningful results in this area you need high quality captures, preferably at >16/44.1 , and perhaps saved to Dropbox etc. where the audio won't be dumbed down, or can be downloaded from directly and saved in it's original format.

I have way more pressing things to do in the Audio area at the moment though , so I have no interest in participation at this time , even if that was done.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I am not saying it is unbearable,. I am saying it is almost useless for this kind of thing and I believe that most members are not interested in wasting their time discussing this further with you.

To obtain any kind of meaningful results in this area you need high quality captures, preferably at >16/44.1 , and perhaps saved to Dropbox etc. where the audio won't be dumbed down, or can be downloaded from directly and saved in it's original format.

I have way more pressing things to do in the Audio area at the moment though , so I have no interest in participation at this time , even if that was done.

I have 24/96 too but you have more pressing things to do, perpetually. 

31 minutes ago, STC said:

I have 24/96 too but you have more pressing things to do, perpetually. 

Your stuff has a very low priority currently, as you should already be aware of from some group PMs.

Nether do I have a great deal of interest in this area.

6 minutes ago, STC said:

This reply would have taken some of your precious time. Much appreciated. 

It looks like you will have to rely on just Frank's contributions then, as you started this thread >11 hours ago, and there have been 167 views so far, but nobody else is apparently interested in participating so far.

The Jason recordings don't have the mics in his ear lobes.  They are hanging outside.  Not much different than a Jecklin disk or actually worse.  The mics make me think they are relatively transparent, but the sound clusters around each ear and there is big hole of nothing in the middle.  This when I listened over Sony MDR 7510 phones. 

JA's recordings with the Senn's are much better.  Sound still clusters around each ear, but there is a hint of the middle and a hint of some space rather than just flat sound.   Now I don't know if it is the mics or positioning or system differences.  My impression is the Senns are a little slow and murkey sounding or the systems JA listened too weren't as good.  

Of those Jason listened to I would judge the Martin Logans the best, but that is really going too far.  Of JA's I'd rate the Wilson system best, but it seemed to miss the top, bottom and dynamics a bit. 

It might be worth looking into the in ear mics that Mitchco uses.  

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Sound-Professionals-Ear-ultra-flexible/dp/B00HAL7E24/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=ms-tfb2+in+ear+microphones&qid=1575007615&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Come close to getting some myself, but don't know if I would use them often enough.  A big part of my curiousity is binaural doesn't really work for me, and I wonder if I used my own outer ear if perhaps it would.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I have completely forgotten about Mitchco’s binaural recordings. Thanks for bringing up his contribution. 

Regarding Jason’s recordings, do you honestly believe the sound in the video marches actual recording in-situ?  Balanced left and right despite misaligned microphones?  I am a novice in recordings but it must be a miracle that he could get the audio as in the video with such misaligned microphones position. More hints will come later. 

And about the other video. Did they really captured the audio there or was it recorded in different place or position?  Just asking. 

Second hint. 

I assume the small in ear Sony's are omni's.  So they will not be picky about aim.  I've experimented with quite a few baffles.  You'd be surprised the things that work okay for stereo using baffled omnis.  As for balance and such I can't comment too much as the sound was literally right at each ear like two totally disconnected streams of sound.  I suppose I need to try them over stereo speakers.

The JA recordings clustered around each ear, but not only right at the ear.  The streams seemed loosely connected for each ear, and there was a little bit of image in between, but it was amorphous and ghostly.  But I'm the wrong person to ask about binaural recordings.  They just don't work for me like other people somehow.  

My experience with baffled recordings is they tend to have a whole in the middle until they become almost mono. They also distort relative angles of sound though if you weren't at the recording you'll never notice it. I've had in mind doing a Jecklin disk and using a thrid mike straight ahead mixed in to see if you could improve upon things.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

37 minutes ago, esldude said:

I assume the small in ear Sony's are omni's.  So they will not be picky about aim.  I've experimented with quite a few baffles.  You'd be surprised the things that work okay for stereo using baffled omnis.  As for balance and such I can't comment too much as the sound was literally right at each ear like two totally disconnected streams of sound.  I suppose I need to try them over stereo speakers.

The Sony is not really in ear binaural microphones. Capturing live performance and and phantom image of stereo playback is entirely different. 

You made one good observation about two distinct sound streaming.

37 minutes ago, esldude said:

The JA recordings clustered around each ear, but not only right at the ear.  The streams seemed loosely connected for each ear, and there was a little bit of image in between, but it was amorphous and ghostly.  But I'm the wrong person to ask about binaural recordings.  They just don't work for me like other people somehow.  

My experience with baffled recordings is they tend to have a whole in the middle until they become almost mono. They also distort relative angles of sound though if you weren't at the recording you'll never notice it. I've had in mind doing a Jecklin disk and using a thrid mike straight ahead mixed in to see if you could improve upon things.  

The clue is in the short clip attached. 

1 hour ago, marce said:

Group PM's that sounds sinister...

A small number of members are working behind the scenes with John Dyson to help evaluate the  changes he is implementing with his highly innovative Dolby A S/W decoder, which  is being used to correct major problems with many of the famous recordings from last century, mainly due to the lack of Dolby A decoding, or poorly calibrated Dolby A decoders when preparing them for release on CDs,  as well as some Engineers attempting to EQ over the incorrectly decoded masters . 

John is doing this in order to archive them for future generations, so that they can be heard in the way they should have been heard originally.

In fact, John's S/W decoder is vastly more accurate then the original Dolby A Hardware decoders.

In some cases , the original CDs weren't too bad, but they were not always decoded properly (if at all)  when used to make compilations from different albums of the same artist

1 hour ago, STC said:

The Sony is not really in ear binaural microphones. Capturing live performance and and phantom image of stereo playback is entirely different. 

You made one good observation about two distinct sound streaming.

The clue is in the short clip attached. 

Yes I listened to the short clip.  Could hear mouse clicks in it as well it seemed.  :)

3 hours ago, esldude said:

Yes I listened to the short clip.  Could hear mouse clicks in it as well it seemed.  :)

The clicks appeared throughout the binaural recording at the beginning of each track. Where are they coming from? It cannot be where they were sitting. Was there some sort of edit and retake took place else where? 

On 11/29/2019 at 9:50 AM, STC said:

I have completely forgotten about Mitchco’s binaural recordings. Thanks for bringing up his contribution. 

Regarding Jason’s recordings, do you honestly believe the sound in the video marches actual recording in-situ?  Balanced left and right despite misaligned microphones meilleure mutuelles entreprise ?  I am a novice in recordings but it must be a miracle that he could get the audio as in the video with such misaligned microphones position. More hints will come later. 

And about the other video. Did they really captured the audio there or was it recorded in different place or position?  Just asking. 

Second hint. 

FullSizeRender.mov 17.46 MB · 3 downloads

But if you have a wireless microphone, you can be sure you will get a rather clear and fluid sound. There should also be a filter.

37 minutes ago, Luciad62 said:

But if you have a wireless microphone, you can be sure you will get a rather clear and fluid sound. There should also be a filter.

Not following you. Why is a wireless microphone be any different from a wired microphone. Except for live performance I know of no established recording engineers using wireless microphones for recordings.