IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

I have also ordered a couple of cable matters cat 8 cables while awaiting delivery of the etherregen in january.

Would this cable from inakustik be a good one from the aspect of tied connector shield. This one has no metal connector

so I guess it will be fine. Perhaps a competitor to BJC?

https://www.hifisound.de/en/Hifi-Accessories/Cable-Crafted/LAN-Network/Inakustik-Premium-II-CAT6-Ethernet-Network-Cable-0-50-mtr.html

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

44 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Magnuska,

It is tough to say which cable is best. If you do compare the SQ of the CM cat 8 vs. Inakustik please share the results here.

Hi Imitche,

I will post IF I choose to buy the inakustiks.. I have used their USB cable Inakustik Reference wich was very good so this german brand could be quite good even with LAN cables?

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

On 1/2/2020 at 1:54 PM, magnuska said:

I have also ordered a couple of cable matters cat 8 cables while awaiting delivery of the etherregen in january.

Would this cable from inakustik be a good one from the aspect of tied connector shield. This one has no metal connector

so I guess it will be fine. Perhaps a competitor to BJC?

https://www.hifisound.de/en/Hifi-Accessories/Cable-Crafted/LAN-Network/Inakustik-Premium-II-CAT6-Ethernet-Network-Cable-0-50-mtr.html

Today I received my 2 cablematters ethernet cables. I replaced the Ghent first gen cables with JSSG (not 360). 

As I am awaiting delivery of a new Vinnie Rossi L2 integrated I have no possibility to listen via my normal setup. 

I run a seriously unbalanced setup with Innuos zen Mini mkIII with Antipodes EX via chromecast into my LG Oled television 😉. Yes through the telly;s speaker it is possible to hear differences between the new and old Ghent cables. From cold its a no big difference but I can

hear its bass improved and also highs seems improved. Its a bit more musical sounding - more easy to listen to.  

Hi Thmoas,

In my experience focusing too much on cables, whether its power, USB or ethernet cables has not ever proved to

be that revolutionary upgrade to hope for. In all fairness I have not tried the highest end of cables even If I have the top signature cables from Audiosensibility that I think have a sane ratio of price vs performance.

Anyway when it comes to ethernet cables my latest trial is the cable matters cat 8 that many uses here and that seems like a cable as good as my previous Ghent audio JSSG , Sablon , Supra Cat 8 and like you Viablue with Telegärtner for a lot less money. IMHO I believe spending money elsewhere in the hifichain is more important than cables. Perhaps a good hifirack and or feet is a wiser choice, and not forget amps and speakers...

There is a long thread going on at the Naim forum where some seems to like Designacable cat 5 or cat 6

Nice Thomas,

I am waiting for my ER to arrive in january. Will replace the AQVOX SE switch if all turns out like I hope😉

Look forward to hear your feedback of the ER + cables in due time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 9:16 PM, skatbelt said:

Hi Lucie, I am in the Netherlands and on Ziggo too. My wifi-modem-router is a Cisco EPC 3928 with a 15V/2.0A SMPS. May be I should try replacing its SMPS with a LPS too and see what it brings to the table. A question though: did you try other Ethernet cables besides the Supra cat 7? I ask because the shielding (via the metal connector housings) could lead to noise distribution to the ER.

Hi !

For my fiber modem I  changed the included smps  for a another smps I had lying around to a FRIWO medical https://www.friwo-shop.de/en/medical-power-supplies/interchangeable-plug-power-supplies/67/mpp15-medical?c=16688&number=1883258

And no doubt that it was better.  I have also been thinking of adding an LPS to that modem and try ATL audio https://www.atlhifi.com/shop/fully-assembled-devices/linear-power-supply-unit-l-100/

I would need a 12 volt supply. 

16 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

DIY types may be interested in this cable:  https://viablue.de/com/cables_ep7_ethernet.php

They can also be purchased as finished cables.

I bought this finished cable from Audiophonics, France. https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/ethernet-rj45-cables/audiophonics-patch-cable-network-rj45-ethernet-high-end-cat-7-1m-p-7175.html I asked them about the shield if that is tied or floating but did not get any answer I suspect it is tied. It sounds good though.

On 1/24/2020 at 3:35 AM, Jud said:

Currently I have a cable modem connected to a router with Monoprice Cat 8; then the router connected to the ER with Monoprice Cat 6a with plastic connectors to avoid the "upstream" ground link to the ER. 

At some point probably between now and March, in place of the cable modem and router I will install a gateway (combined modem and router) with Wi-Fi 6 capability. https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/cax80.aspx

Are shield-linked metal connectors required to achieve Cat 7 or Cat 8 specifications? Or to ask more specifically, does anyone know of any Cat 7 or Cat 8 cables with plastic connectors, or don't these exist? If they do exist, I might be interested in trying one between the gateway and the ER.

Hi Jud

What do you think of this CAT 8 from Ghent? Shield tied or floating?

http://www.ghentaudio.com/pc/et12.html

Regards Magnus

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, roman410 said:

Interesting! What version of Sablon Panatela do you was used in this compare?

I used the one before the latest 2020.

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, audiotunesx said:

Entreq Silver Minimus w/Atlantis booster box and infinity copper spade or rj45 cables killed dynamics.  I gave up trying to tweak the etherregen.  It’s the only component I have that’s great as is.

Agree; I tried Entreq silver minimus infinity on the ER but I was no improvement as you say. Does it work for you on the router instead? 

The ER benefits from better powersupply, better external clock🙂

• 2 months later...

So is the DX filter system more effective in reducing RF EMI than ordinary audiophile ethernetcables? 

I have seen such filters during the years and in most cases it may have an effect of lowering the noisefloor but tend to suck the life of music. Like when using Dolby noisereduction in the time of cassettes? 

Some years ago I bought EMO 70 and EMO 60 but in the end I removed them. 

Since they are cheap it could be worth trying though. Can you folks who have tried DX system explain more about its SQ benefits.

35 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

cleaner, clearer, more air, tighter, more focus.

no.  John Swenson and "One and a Half" both recommended not to do so.

Thank you,  I also took the plunge and ordered a set. 

I followed Martins advice to buy the cheap chinese external clock and after that the Afterdark queen square wave. THIS was a huge upgrade very much recommended. Maybe this DX set will do little and hopefully not reduce life and dynamics.

10 hours ago, Rsbrsvp said:

Yes I can.

To my ears and after careful analysis, the sablon cable is noticeably colored.  It is a sweet smooth coloring and a very beautiful coloring, but nevertheless clearly a coloring.  For those who enjoy this sweet and pleasant coloration,- any many will- the sablon is a great choice.

However, if your looking for a disappearing act, than the sablon ethernet cable is NOT the correct choice.  Even my $10 blue jeans is more "true to the source"; more transparent.  The ghentaudio is the most transparent and "naked of the three by a good amount and is also fuller sounding than the BJC.  If you want "naked" the ghent is stunning.  If you want smooth analogue sweetness, the sablon should be seriously considered.  

By the way- I have nothing against sablon.  Marc is a great guy and I bought two 2020 USB cables from him which are absolutely the most transparent usb cables I ever heard.  They are stunning and my clear reference.  I do not know why he went in the "coloration" direction with the ethernet cable- but I know many many people like it.  For me however, the smooth delivery covered up to much detail...

As always, I need to make a disclaimer that my ears are not yours.  I am confident of what I am hearing, but you may not hear the same....

I have also tried Ghent cable with sablon 2020 ethernetcable. I found the opposite. The Sablon cable is more dynamic and extended in both low and high frequences. This could be perceived as coloration by you?

I have Sablon both on the A-side and B-side and I hear an SQ improvement on A-side too.

I will soon receive the DX filters wich I intend to use inserted on the A-side between router and ER.

40 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

I guess you and I have a different model of ear.  (ha ha)

Ha ha , you would be shocked If you saw my ears....😉

Have received my pair of DX filters today. Inserted between router and etherregen. I ve got a nice upcleaning with it. Much more than I thought. These DX filters and the Chinese cheap clock should be awarded the best tweak of the year!!