IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

@Confused: Great report, thanks. I am a little concerned that you might be defeating the differential isolation moat ot the EtherREGEN in your setup. There is a chance of that if you are using your Mutec REF10 to clock devices both upstream and downstream of the EtherREGEN. Can you post a system diagram?

If the isolation gets defeated, the EtherREGEN will then just sound like a very good conventional switch.

Also, have you tried having the EtherREGEN as your only switch? 

Hope you have a lovely holiday and New Years,

—Alex C.

Thanks for that Alex, an interesting observation, and you make a very good point.  The SOtM modified switch takes its reference clock from the clock distribution board in the sMS-200Ultra, so this does potentially add a link to both sides of the EtherRegen "moat".

Anyway, it is easy enough to remove the SOtM modified switch from the system completely, and indeed to run the EtherRegen as the only switch in the chain.

I will certainly give this a try.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

8 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

Been my experience to date, at least with the eR, but have also found it true with other devices I've used, that removing power and then reconnecting power seems to have the effect of altering the workings of the device under test.  It just seems to take a bit of time, usually 1/2-1 hour to get everything stable again.  And that has an impact on SQ to one degree or another.  No clear idea why.

Audio clocks typically need to be running for half an hour or more and at a stable temperature for the clock accuracy itself to be stable.  (minimum phase noise)

Initially, I did not quite understand your comment with reference to my post, but now it is clear.  I think I need to clarify that my EtherRegen has been powered up and running for over a week now.  When comparing to other Ethernet switches, as mentioned in my earlier post,  I was connecting / disconnecting Ethernet cables, but at no time did I remove power from the EtherRegen. The EtherRegen remained "powered up" constantly for exactly the reasons you mentioned.  

Alex made a good point about possible "leakage loops", so I will be revisiting this one with a simpler set-up, as you both suggest.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

14 hours ago, KHA said:

@Confused,

As I am new to this forum, and also using the Uptone stuff with sotm sms 200 ultra I have purchased the mutec

REF-10 clock . Did you have any issues with synchronizing the ether regen and the sotm sms 200 ultra.

thanks for an answer

Karl-Heinz

Hi Karl-Heinz - Welcome to the forum.  

First to point out that this is an UpTone Audio sponsored thread, so any discussions re using the Mutec REF 10 with SOtM kit should take place elsewhere, it is clearly "off-topic" here.  I will send you some pointers via PM.

What is on topic here is the use of the Mutec REF 10 with the EtherRegen.  All I can say is that I have not tried this yet, but I do plan to try this in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

I had some free time this morning and finally got around to trying a "with and without" comparison with the Mutec REF10 providing the 10MHz reference clock.

The test was performed as described here:

As I mentioned in the linked post above, I thought that there would probably be little to be gained by adding the REF10.  However, I was surprised, there was noticeable improvement, to my ears at least.  With the REF10 the sound was cleaner, the highs more resolved and just a general sense of things being more lifelike and coherent.

From about news year's eve onwards, I have been using my system with the REF10 feeding the EtherRegen and have been thinking just how good everything is sounding, now I think I know why.

Of course, the Mutec REF 10 is a  £3.5k product, and I am not sure if I could recommend anyone buying a REF10 just for use with an EtherRegen, but for anyone who already has a REF10 (or similar) the fact that the EtherRegen has a 10MHz input allows you to get steller results for very little money.  This pretty much sums up my position, I couldn't be happier.

Out of interest, has anyone else tried the EtherRegen with the REF10, or similar 10MHz clock?

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Ed Sky said:

I'm also one of those who also received the EtherREGEN in Australia on Monday.

The EtherREGEN has finally fixed the problem I've had with my system since I initially bought B&W 804D3 speakers two years ago. The issue was that these speakers are extremely transparent (possibly to a fault) and as soon as I installed them it exposed all the weaknesses in my components. I've since upgraded amplifier, source, cables, even installed a power regenerator. All have made substantial improvements but I'd been frustrated, that with all these upgrades things still weren't sounding completely right. Sure, the system as a whole was sounding very good but there was subtle distortion and unnaturalness to the sound that would irritate me on some days. I thought perhaps the speakers were just too bright.

I'd only recently discovered the impact on Ethernet on the playback chain. Just a few months ago I was streaming over WiFi. I actually started up a thread on another forum asking why people recommend Ethernet over WiFi. The thread eventually got shut down (due to the usual activity that happens on these types of threads). Fortunately it did motivate me to try stream over Ethernet, then to try a better Ethernet cable and then to try a Baaske isolator (which a kind forum member lent me). I was pretty surprised at what the Baaske did to the system and that then opened my eyes what the EtherREGEN may do.

So now I sit, with about 24 hours on the EtherREGEN and the following descriptors come to mind: clear, alive, holographic, realistic, impactful and detailed bass (which is quite addictive I must warn) and a sense of space between instruments and voices. It's definitely elevated my system and I think completely removed the issues I've felt I had, though I'd need more time with it just to be sure.

What's also great with the EtherREGEN is it's such an easy tweak to install. Was up an running in a few minutes.

My system specifications are as follows: tp-link modem/router-->EtherREGEN-->Simaudio Moon 390-->Simaudio Moon 860A-->B&W 804D3 (with PS Audio P20 PowerPlant).

Some interesting comments.  I too have suffered a little from a system that nominally sounds great, but does have those tiny irritations.  A bit like a luxury car with a tiny squeak or rattle you can't find.  In my case it is mostly perceived distortion in the HF and presence range.  Regarding the EtherRegen, I wrote this back in December "There was one track in particular with a snare drum that annoys me a bit, it just adds a touch of harshness that is almost heard direct from the tweeter. With my quick listen Sunday it sounded like a snare "in space", directly between the speakers. Now, I could be imagining this, it could be that some earwax fell out of one ear during the night, I am really not sure. It was, to me at least, and running from aural memory, a small but distinctive difference."

So maybe for both of us the EtherRegen is doing a good job of removing the annoying digital distortion / artifacts?  Small stuff in absolute terms, but it can make a huge difference by making a listening session enjoyable, rather than frustrating due to annoying niggles.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Midnightrambler said:

Hi, is there anyone who has tried high end clocks with the ER, and what were the conclusions? 

Yes, see posts from way back when .....

• 1 year later...