IGNORED

The myth of "The Absolute Sound"

barrows

10 minutes ago, STC said:

Maybe I am wrong but I always thought speakers do have their own sonic signature. ESL sounds different from a box speaker and among the box speakers each of them have their own sonic signature.

Loudspeakers have different sonic signatures because they are not perfect transducers. But they do not have a unique characteristic or timbre that identifies them to the ordinary listener. For example, most people can readily identify the sound of a piano or an acoustic guitar. They cannot, however, readily identify a Wilson Sasha or a Revel Ultima Studio 2.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

3 hours ago, STC said:

Ok. I agree unless people like Alan Shaw who could tell if a transducer is a Radial by tapping and listening to its sound. I actually tried it and I have to say that when I tapped the Radial cone they indeed sounded very much different than others but mostly were the cheap speakers. No one would let me tap their Wilson, KEF ....  :) will that qualify as their own sonic signature? 

No one I know taps on a loudspeaker while listening to music so I can't answer your question. :)

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

6 hours ago, semente said:

Sound at most rock and pop concerts is too loud and the dynamics are often heavily compressed.

In smaller venues, the sound volume is often inversely proportional to the quality of the musicians.