IGNORED

Ventilation

Building a system. I’ve seen the many photos of beautiful systems on open shelving, exposed naked in a dedicated music room.

I do not have that luxury. My system will live in a vertical, millwork cabinet. Shelves will offer 2”-3” space around sides and rear of each component. Front is wide open, behind a metal grill. Shelves are adjustable vertically, so I can control spacing above each component. 

Power amps: I get it. Special case. They need room to breath. 

Everything else?

Preamps? Transport? DAC? Server? 

How much ventilation is necessary? 

Gratzi! 

Roon > dCS Bartok > Parasound JC 2BP > Parasound JC 5 > Wilson Yvette

Technics SL-1200G & Bluesound Node > Luxman L-590axII > OJAS Bookshelf w/ Tweeter Horn Mod

every unit needs some ventilation (for so-called 'natural' or free convection) - it will be based on the power consumption and the heat tolerance of the devices in the uit

do you have any Class A amps?

I would accept any advice from Accuphase

sorry if that is too general, but it is hard to know exactly, and... Nelson Pass told @miguelito to bias an amp he designed pretty high to get the output transistors up to 50 cC, so there is that too

14 hours ago, Temporal_Dissident said:

Building a system. I’ve seen the many photos of beautiful systems on open shelving, exposed naked in a dedicated music room.

I do not have that luxury. My system will live in a vertical, millwork cabinet. Shelves will offer 2”-3” space around sides and rear of each component. Front is wide open, behind a metal grill. Shelves are adjustable vertically, so I can control spacing above each component. 

Power amps: I get it. Special case. They need room to breath. 

Everything else?

Preamps? Transport? DAC? Server? 

How much ventilation is necessary? 

Gratzi! 

Many moons ago I had a terrific “Winter Amp”, an Audio Research VS-115 tube amplifier installed in a Mission style rack that I built.  

I installed a 2U quad fan unit at the bottom of the shelf above the amp with the temp sensors. When the amp heated up the fans kicked in, whisper quiet and blew the heat forward out of the rack, or in your case a cabinet.  

Or, if you don’t mind making openings with your jigsaw you can go with the cabinet fan option. 

it worked for me, may work for you.  

https://www.rackfans.com/rackfans.html

You can use something like an adhesive cable tie mount to install the fans and temp sensor, that way when you remove it there’s no screw holes. Let us know how it works out!

51 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Here is @miguelito 's rack:

https://www.google.com/search?q=SolidTech’s+Rack+Of+Silence&tbm=shop&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxiffO5vvjAhWYpZ4KHcAzDTEQ_AUIDygD&biw=1539&bih=809&dpr=2.5

If $600 is too much I bet you could make for less (but note the non-round uprights - they may affect resonance)

This is my rack, and I bought it from these guys:

https://www.dynamichomedecor.com/product/Solid-Tech-Rack-of-Silence-4.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-b7qBRDPARIsADVbUbXdraGS7yEs_Ph_8wNPTH7jMpp4jSj6D9bHtkFbuJs7ernkChGboFMaAqjCEALw_wcB

I also got a roll of plastic tube bags, filled them with sand and put them in the vertical posts for extra sturdiness and vibration dissipation.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics