IGNORED

Bits is bits?

12 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I have a number of XMOS and Amanero USB receiver-based devices. None of them suffer from USB noise, except for the old Emotiva XDA-2, which appears to be using a Cmedia CM6631 receiver.

I have too, and I have many that suffer from USB noise. Although for many that is baked-in feature of the USB interface instead of delivery from the cable...

For example is is quite common to see 8 kHz USB packet ticking (125 µs packet interval of UAC2) in the DAC output...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Right. That’s why it’s important to check measurements before buying a DAC. Proper receiver implementation will make specialty USB cables and regen devices unnecessary.

You cannot fix that part with such devices either.

But Chord Mojo is one good example of a DAC that doesn't have that particular problem, but is extremely sensitive to noises coming from the USB cable...

6 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

" isolation of the ground plane using ferrite beads to form a definite moat, this avoids any capacitive coupling between the input and the output. "

@Miska this is exactly what Hugo2 USB data input has and  Mojo's USB data input doesn't have - ground ferrite bead isolation.

Mojo came first. Safe to assume Mojo2 will have it.

That is not enough to fix Mojo's sensitivity to USB sources and cables. I've tried it with a USB cable that has ferrite bead.

It is not isolation, it is just a filter for high frequency noise. In isolated case you would have galvanic isolation (for example optical) between USB controller and rest of the DAC.

26 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

But is a USB cable with ferrite bead the same  as the ground plane ferrite bead to filter RF, that @marce mentions in that link?

Practically yes...

Hugo2 doesn't have galvanic isolation on it's USB input and doesn't have anywhere near Mojo's sensitivity.

I'm not going to buy it to find out, Mojo was already such a massive disappointment... I tried to find some use for it, but got sick and tired of eventually getting blasted by white noise every now and then, even when using something like iPhone as USB source and only playing simple 44.1k stream from Tidal.

isolation of the ground plane using ferrite beads to form a definite moat, this avoids any capacitive coupling between the input and the output.

That is not isolation by any stretch in my opinion. If ground plane has any connection, it is not isolated.