IGNORED

Streaming Tool in High Resolution!

Finally!  Listened to Maynard on the Joe Rogan Podcast earlier this week.  He said they (Tool) were unaware or simply didn't care about what the hype was about streaming.  Although he did say making band decisions or getting together to make a decision is like pulling teeth. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

It is also available on iTunes, not in high res, of course.

I wonder if the remastered the albums in the process or just sampled them in high res? I purchased Undertow from Acoustic Sounds in 96/24 to compare against the ‘93 CD and vinyl. I didn’t get much time last night to do a full comparison but my first comment after sampling from a few songs was “wow, that CD sounds really good”. 

Well, if you are going to be super picky, and why wouldn’t we, I would say that the HR sounds better but not by much. Certainly passages you can hear a better instrument definition and perhaps clarity. I think it is worth to have. I just bought Undertow but also considering the whole collection. 

Yeah, 24/96 DLs also available at HDTracks.  10000 Days definitely sounds different than the CD rip, must be a new mastering, but I have not done a direct comparison yet...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Looking at the DR loudness database for Lateralus and Aenima they are pretty much similar in dynamics to the original CD versions. Lateralus has slightly better dynamics, but it's just a wee. 

How does it sound in high resolution guys, anyone could check and post the spectogram to see if those 24/96 files are legit please?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

There is a discussion of course of SH forum: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/tool-planning-to-remaster-and-reissue-all-of-their-albums-for-vinyl-release.689866/page-24#post-21800705

It seems that the most improvement people are hearing on Lateralus. Also looking at the spectrogram those files are rather legit.

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Thanks Krzysztof,

I'm a Tool fan, but I lamented the original CD releases were not the best examples for dynamic range. With each release, you could hear and see (through spectral analysis) the increasing use of multiband compression to increase perceived loudness. It would be nice if the 24 bit remasters could be given more dynamic range to increase the impact of the drums and the edge of the guitars, but the DR numbers I've seen thus far don't look promising.  :(

7 hours ago, grs113 said:

Thanks Krzysztof,

I'm a Tool fan, but I lamented the original CD releases were not the best examples for dynamic range. With each release, you could hear and see (through spectral analysis) the increasing use of multiband compression to increase perceived loudness. It would be nice if the 24 bit remasters could be given more dynamic range to increase the impact of the drums and the edge of the guitars, but the DR numbers I've seen thus far don't look promising.  :(

Indeed, numbers are not so much promising (though it's just numbers ;-) - Aenima is the most dynamic I guess. Haven't checked 10000 Days, but from the spectral analysis I've seen to the latter one it should be legit.

--

Krzysztof Maj

• 2 weeks later...

Being a huge Tool fan myself this post/news is of real interest to me. I own all of their Albums in Redbook currently. This is one of those bands to me that I enjoy the content so much that I've been willing to ignore the fact that they compressed the hell out of all their Albums short of Undertow which was by far their best sounding work.

I'm not optimistic that these HiRez versions will be any different in terms of their DR values but it sure would be nice if they were. If it turns out my skepticism is wrong I would purchase the whole catalog again in 24/96 without a second thought.

Maybe some brave soul who already made the leap of faith will be kind enough to post up the numbers of these HiRez releases for the communities viewing pleasure?

The DR values are pretty much the same.  If a DR number is all you care about then I would suggest not bothering.OTOH, most are reporting that they prefer the sonics of the new masterings.  So far I have only listened to 10,000 Days, and I prefer the new version.  I will DL Lateralus sometime soon for sure. 

Oh, and the analysis I have seen shows that these are legit Hi Res and not upsampled from 44.1 redbook masters.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio