IGNORED

Which DAC to buy for my AudioEngine A5+?

I have my AudioEngine A5+ speakers with Yamaha YST-SW515 connected to the default sound card of my pc. I want to use an external DAC to play FLAC or DSD HiRes audio. From the options below, which do you suggest? My budget is below $150! AUDIOENGINE DAC AND ACCESSORIES NOT AVAILABLE IN MY COUNTRY AS OF NOW SO THAT'S NOT AN OPTION! 

Picks

Topping D50

Topping DX3 Pro

Khadas Tone Board 

😊

1 hour ago, ahmed98 said:

They are releasing a newer version in august yeah?

That's what they were announcing in May in their forum and what they wrote as well in response to my mail beginning of June. I have requested more precise information this week, unfortunately I still wait for a detailed answer.

1 hour ago, ahmed98 said:

Also is this a better option than the FiiO K3 or the SMSL M6 or the Topping D50

I haven't heard these units, but in my system the KTBD does sound better (clearer, more pronounced, better detail & separation) than the AQ DF Red and the Topping NX4, which sports the same DAC/XMOS configuration as the Khadas.

It does not best my ifi iDSD BL, but at a 5th of the price it plays clearly above price point.

There are some unresolved issues such as hardware volume control with Windows and DSD above DSD64 under Linux, but I am under impression they are working on it. DSD256 under Windows works well, but the output is @ 100% volume, so some volume control between your ears and the DAC are recommended from my side.

I use LMS on RPI2&3b, and with alsa I have software volume control working, just upto DSD64. I'll check over the weekend if DSD256 will work native with Android and USB Audioplayer pro and report back next week.

Bon week-end, Ahmed

bg Tom

22 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

That's what they were announcing in May in their forum and what they wrote as well in response to my mail beginning of June. I have requested more precise information this week, unfortunately I still wait for a detailed answer.

I haven't heard these units, but in my system the KTBD does sound better (clearer, more pronounced, better detail & separation) than the AQ DF Red and the Topping NX4, which sports the same DAC/XMOS configuration as the Khadas.

It does not best my ifi iDSD BL, but at a 5th of the price it plays clearly above price point.

There are some unresolved issues such as hardware volume control with Windows and DSD above DSD64 under Linux, but I am under impression they are working on it. DSD256 under Windows works well, but the output is @ 100% volume, so some volume control between your ears and the DAC are recommended from my side.

I use LMS on RPI2&3b, and with alsa I have software volume control working, just upto DSD64. I'll check over the weekend if DSD256 will work native with Android and USB Audioplayer pro and report back next week.

Bon week-end, Ahmed

bg Tom

Thank you for the help Tom! Stay in touch! ☺️🙏🏼

In the US I believe shipping consumes a month or more.  Not the easiest device  to get your hands on.  By all accounts better than my offhand idea that might have been available where you live. 

So long as you understand what you are getting into, the revised KTB should be fun.  I'd let a few experienced people get their hands on it first to make sure though.  The same that took a risk on the first when it was unknown and aided development of the soon to be released updated version.

16 hours ago, rando said:

In the US I believe shipping consumes a month or more.  Not the easiest device  to get your hands on.  By all accounts better than my offhand idea that might have been available where you live. 

So long as you understand what you are getting into, the revised KTB should be fun.  I'd let a few experienced people get their hands on it first to make sure though.  The same that took a risk on the first when it was unknown and aided development of the soon to be released updated version.

Do you know when the revised version is being released sir?

12 hours ago, firedog said:

Just get the one that has the physical setup and feature set that works best for you. Don't go overboard worrying about some possibly not even existing SQ difference you may or may not be able to hear. In daily and long term use, any small SQ difference will pale in comparison to usefulness and convenience given by the DAC with the features that best fit your needs. 

Currently narrowed down my options to 3. The Khadas TB, The Topping D50 and The Topping DX3 Pro. I am heavily considering the DX3 Pro since it has bluetooth however a little confused if the SQ is better or worse than the D50. The Tone board seems to have great reviews but the fact that it comes without a casing worries me. 

I wouldn't expect more than few grains in one pile and a few more in a different one when it comes to distinguishing between the two Topping. 

KTB has a DIY aspect that might not best fit your needs.  I can only suggest to watch the Kardas site or contact the distributor in your area for exact release and availability dates.

12 hours ago, rando said:

I wouldn't expect more than few grains in one pile and a few more in a different one when it comes to distinguishing between the two Topping. 

KTB has a DIY aspect that might not best fit your needs.  I can only suggest to watch the Kardas site or contact the distributor in your area for exact release and availability dates.

English is not my first language sir. Could you please simplify your opinion about the Topping. I could not understand. 😊

Ahmed,

Which is the operating system and the audio software of choice in your setup?

Which type of DSD files you are listening to? Is it DoP or native?

USB Audio Player Pro & Hiby under Android 8.1 do not support hardware volume control for DSD with the KTBD upgraded to the newest firmware. For DSD native.

Best, Tom

3 hours ago, DuckToller said:

Ahmed,

Which is the operating system and the audio software of choice in your setup?

Which type of DSD files you are listening to? Is it DoP or native?

USB Audio Player Pro & Hiby under Android 8.1 do not support hardware volume control for DSD with the KTBD upgraded to the newest firmware. For DSD native.

Best, Tom

Sir I have my speakers plugged to the default sound card of my pc for the time being and I listen to FLAC tracks on Foobar. My PC os is Win 7.  Sometimes stream HiRes tracks from my phone via bluetooth however SQ is not reaching it's potential due to the hardware of the PC and the cheap bluetooth adapter. 

35 minutes ago, ahmed98 said:

Sir I have my speakers plugged to the default sound card of my pc for the time being and I listen to FLAC tracks on Foobar. My PC os is Win 7.  Sometimes stream HiRes tracks from my phone via bluetooth however SQ is not reaching it's potential due to the hardware of the PC and the cheap bluetooth adapter

Thank you, Ahmed.

When I return home tomorrow, I'll test the setup with foobar 2k. I suppose you have installed the Super Audio CD Decoder input plugin for foobar2000?

Best, Tom

1 hour ago, DuckToller said:

Thank you, Ahmed.

When I return home tomorrow, I'll test the setup with foobar 2k. I suppose you have installed the Super Audio CD Decoder input plugin for foobar2000?

Best, Tom

No sir not yet. When I buy my DAC, I will! Thank you for all the help. Do stay in touch! ☺️🙏🏼