IGNORED

New Raspberry Pi 4

Specifications

• Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
  • 1GB, 2GB or 4GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM (depending on model)
  • 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • 2 USB 3.0 ports; 2 USB 2.0 ports.
  • Raspberry Pi standard 40 pin GPIO header (fully backwards compatible with previous boards)
  • 2 × micro-HDMI ports (up to 4kp60 supported)
  • 2-lane MIPI DSI display port
  • 2-lane MIPI CSI camera port
  • 4-pole stereo audio and composite video port
  • H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)
  • OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics
  • Micro-SD card slot for loading operating system and data storage
  • 5V DC via USB-C connector (minimum 3A*)
  • 5V DC via GPIO header (minimum 3A*)
  • Power over Ethernet (PoE) enabled (requires separate PoE HAT)
  • Operating temperature: 0 – 50 degrees C ambient

* A good quality 2.5A power supply can be used if downstream USB peripherals consume less than 500mA in total.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

19 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Looks like the USB has finally been changed quite a bit. 

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

Indeed - the ethernet / USB shared pipe bottleneck has been eliminated, resulting massively improved benchmarks for both:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-4-specs-benchmarks/

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I'm very clueless still about streaming with a device like this.  What software do you use?  And is it as easy and consistent as say a Sonos or Bluesound Node?  

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

2 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

I'm very clueless still about streaming with a device like this.  What software do you use?  And is it as easy and consistent as say a Sonos or Bluesound Node?  

You can make it a Roon end point, DLNA endpoint and do all kinds of cool stuff with it such as install audio Volumio.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

How about consistency Chris?  I'm looking to put a streamer in the family room, nothing fancy.  More important is ease of use and consistency for family members.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

14 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

How about consistency Chris?  I'm looking to put a streamer in the family room, nothing fancy.  More important is ease of use and consistency for family members.

If you use Roon the Pi is as consistent and easy as Roon. It's just an endpoint with USB output, or with something from a company like Allo or HiFi Berry you can have analog or digital audio output.

They are very stable. At $35 it's hard to beat.

I read that it’s a pop in replacement solution for many previous Pi’s so I could just switch one with my present Pi3 board in the same case, etc., if I want. Cool.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 6/25/2019 at 2:18 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

The ports are different and the software must be updated to support the new features. 

Raspbian at least has been updated. Software such as NAA should work.

Looks very promising. I’ll test as a NAA/wireless access point once stuff like flirc aluminum case become available 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

• 5 months later...

I’m thinking of getting one to use as a Roon end-point. Anyone have an update on their trials?

also, I cannot use Ethernet for this from my router (long story), soif I wanted to use one to bridge from WiFi to Ethernet for, say, a Sonore product, is that possible?

JJinPDX