IGNORED

Cisco 2960 SFP <—> FMC setup

nkbg

13 minutes ago, kerisabe said:

is it possible to go to console mode without havin the console cable? Just by directly connecting an ethernet cable to it and my mac? 

The only way to do that is if you have either a loopback interface or you have a VLAN setup and SVI (Switched Virtual Interface) with IP on it.  THEN you have to have a port on the switch placed into that vlan:

SW(Config)# Vlan 10 *creates a vlan*

SW(Config)# int vlan 10 *creates a virtual host on that vlan*

SW(INT-Vlan)# Ip add 192.168.0.254 255.255.255.0 *assigns the virtual host an IP*

SW(INT-Vlan)#exit

SW(Config) int g0/1 

SW(Int)# switchport mode access *makes sure the port is in access or Layer 2 mode*

SW(Int)# Switchport access vlan 10 *places the port into Vlan 10*

SW(Int)# exit

Sw(config)# copy ru st *saves the config to flash memory on the switch*

You have to have a console cable. They are $12.

Plug in your computer to the specified port, assign it an ip address of 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 and you should be able to ping 192.168.0.254.  You will be able to manage via telnet at this point. 

13 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

" Managing the Switch

After completing Express Setup and installing the switch in your network, use the device manager, Cisco Network Assistant, or another of the management options described in this section for further configuration "

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/cloud-systems-management/network-assistant-version-6-0/model.html#~tab-downloads

That's after you have the initial setup done. Still need an IP Address.

Not sure if all 2960's (Cisco has many builds of these) follow this guide.

4 minutes ago, kerisabe said:

Btw has anyone here tried changing the smps internal psu into a linear psu or battery psu? And how significant is the change? 

That would be quite the hack to get done. I wouldn't mess with that. I would simply use the SFP and go fiber and break any electrical connection.

People are chasing gremlins that don't exist.

image.png.add643d0b7f4d09440634ce72512e96c.png

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

Actually the fellow who did the linear PSU called it “trivial” - for him.

That's a matter of perspective. If you vlan setup is a challenge....

Why would anyone bother with that when you can go wifi or optical dirt cheap. Oh wait...

On a side note how does a power supply modded switch improve the 10Km run of single mode fiber?

1 minute ago, Jud said:

As noted by many electrical references, it’s inside the home that noise on power lines is really a problem. So the 10k run to my mind is really irrelevant.

I don’t know how much noise might make it through the switch (only whatever’s involved in the opto-electronic conversion if you do optical), but it’s what the power supply puts back into the wall and system that I would be concerned about, if anything. (And by that I mean that I don’t know if there’s necessarily anything to be concerned about, but if folks want to take an interest and play around a bit, why not?)

No, it's not irrelevant. How long of a run of optical do you need to your endpoint to take care of the EMI/RFI issue. I hope you are seeing the point. 

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Because...?

If you only get LAN Lite you can't do any layer 3 (ip routing) natively on the switch. So no intervlan routing.

If you get the LAN base you can simply:

sw(console)# ip routing

sw(console)# ip default-gateway ipofyourrouterhere

sw(console# vlan 10, 20, 30, etc

sw(console)#int vlan 10,20,30 etc

sw(int vlan)# ip add x.x.x.x #.#.#.# (address and subnet)

and plug into your router and be good to go.

30 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

why would you use VLAN if you don't separate them in different subnets,,,,

Because you would put them in different subnets:

192.168.0.0-31

192.168.0.32-63

192.168.0.64-95

192.168.0.96-127 etc

That could be 0 for audio wifi and audio wired

32 could be guest wifi and wired

64 could be server/service (file server,nas, roku, fire stick etc)

96 could be household iot, thermostat, security camera's etc.

Then you could ACL so you would prevent, say 96 from getting anywhere other than vlan 1 and out to the internet.

3 hours ago, TubeMan said:

overkill for home network

same subnet for all ip in that example by the way

How would you know, I didn't list the subnet mask. But you should be able to figure it out from the ranges I gave out. That would be /27's. 

We are also talking to people who will put in linear PS, $700 'audiophile' switches, $400 network cables. And simply vlaning off crap like IoT and cheap Chinese DVR systems that a lot of households will use is overkill?

All the IGMP from those other devices can cause audible noise, right?

3 hours ago, Jud said:

Not that anyone should be discouraged from using different subnets if they’d like, but it’s correct that the example shows everything on the same subnet.

No it's not on the same subnet. Any network guy would have figured out that 

192.168.0.0 /27 is 0 is network 31 is broadcast with 1-30 usable

192.168.0.32/27 is 32 network with 63 as broadcast and 33-62 usable

192.168.0.64/27 is 64 network with 95 as broadcast and 65-94 usable

192.168.0.96/27 is 96 network with 127 as broadcast and 97-126 usable