IGNORED

JA says none of y’all showed up to talk about MQA

11 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Not sure if people would be willing or be able (costs etc) to travel to the US just to ask a difficult question.

Regards,

Shadders.

A great number of the loudest and most insistent voices are in the U.S.  At least a couple said they were going. 

Now the stupid and senseless attacks on John A. will start. At least he showed up and went. Probably would have chimed in some support too, if any of those loud voices had showed up.  Probably get a report on how security had their names and would not let them in.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

1 hour ago, mansr said:

I once argued with a scientologist. He ended up getting banned from the pub.

Long story short, I "rescued" a good friend from a Scientology "church" many years ago. I mean, I was just barely out of high school then.  Those people were crazy, working 80 hour weeks to get free "auditing" and only getting paid $20-$30. Sometimes less. Crazy! 

So I spent two months down there - being a good little scientologist - until we could arrange to bring him home. It was unpleasant. But my friend went on to be quite successful in life, once he got over the idea of being some super mind reading cleared operating theta thing. Funny, he never could read my mind. Not once. 

Still have not found anyone who could read my mind - despite a lot of people claiming to.  But most of those Scientologists could drink most people under the table, and ended up wining arguments. Never saw one get thrown out of or banned from a bar. Saw a lot of other people get bounced though. 

Does that sort to bring any parallels to this nonsensical MQA thing?  There is a lot of loudmouthed internet shouting going on, and very few people willing to stand up and oppose it in person. You, I understand, are in Europe. That is a good reason not to be there. But the other people who make unrelentingly stupid comments and can't back up their claims?  Don't show up even to say they went and listened, much less touted their vicious opposition? 

Jerks, at best. 

-Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein

25 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Paul

With the exception of several members including Chris and Rt66indierock, most are just Keyboard Warriors, so  what do you expect ?

Perhaps somebody should have sponsored a  visit by Mansr, who sure as hell can ask them the hard questions and provide evidence,, however, they would be highly likely to find a way to fob him off with excuses including confidential NDAs .

That I would have paid a few bucks toward. :)

Robert A. Heinlein

52 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

How would video conferencing allow Miska to attend and ask questions at a live trade show event like this?

I don't think he has access to a telepresence robot.

CAKfoO7VAAA7tnS.thumb.jpg.e97814db217a2dace2bb7be36a196d4c.jpg

That's a kind of silly objection, don't you think? They rent those things, and any PC, tablet or phone can usually drive them fine. That is the whole point of the beasties...

But actually, no - I was thinking more of just having them participate on a panel at something like RMAF via a live teleconference. All the convention centers (i.e. hotels) have AV conference capabilities now, and many of the ones I have been to make those facilities available for conference goers. Or a simple laptop connected via Cisco or other conferencing systems, can serve in a pinch for one or two participants. A normal system could easily handle a dozen or more, as well as hundreds or thousands of streamed viewers. 

There are also other possibilities if you stop to think about it, to hold well moderated and well attended conferences. I am a member of several professional associations that do pretty much everything virtually these days, including conferences and technical sessions. It is the only way for a diverse group to economically meet on a regular basis. 

Plus, it would get the people who need to be in the forefront there. Hell, even AS could sponsor an online conference with the switch in the cloud. 

-Paul 

The forum here is much more like a pub conversation than a formal conference.  

Robert A. Heinlein

1 hour ago, Thuaveta said:

That someone with that type of background can simultaneously not comprehend why

is preposterous, I have to say, boggles the mind.

If you're such a hotshot, use all of your knowledge to think for a second before playing victim and saying shit like "answering this isn't worth my time".

Does all of that membership to several professional associations really lead you to believe that the MQA folks would want to engage candidly and honestly, let alone be on a panel they organised, with @Archimago, @mansr, @Miska, @NoisyNarrowBandDevice or any of the other technically credible critics ?

Who the effing heck cares about the MQA people? 

Use your brain and think about who you want to convince  about any of the facts surrounding MQA. I doubt seriously anyone cares about convincing MQA people themselves. But the MQA people are sure going to care if you reach the MQA target audience. Maybe enough enough to have rational conversation.  

And by the way, I would sure like someone to try interrupting on a VC like they did to Chris at RMAF - <click> and they are muted. 

Shucks - did you *think* about what I said at all, or just sprout off randomly? I feel the same way about you right now buddy - preposterous is a good word. 

Robert A. Heinlein

3 hours ago, kumakuma said:

How is this a "silly objection"? 

You told Miska he could have video conferenced into the AXPONA MQA event so I asked you to provide details on how he could have done this.

No, I said video conferencing was an option. And it is a very good option to put someone who is remote on a panel. For heavens sake, you see the same thing every day on any news channel you care to watch.  Why would you not remotely teach a class or make a presentation or lead a discussion? 

It's silly to suggest that the only kind of remote VC is a stupid looking robot wandering around. Who wants to talk with you on an iPad screen when they can sit in a nice room with *good* AV capabilities?  

Robert A. Heinlein