IGNORED

Remove leading digits from Song Titles?

Is there any way to easily automate this process?

I have a number of song titles with a one or two digit number and then a space in front of the actual song name.  I'd like to strip these off.

e.g. "2 Ramble on Rose"

and "12 Estimated Prophet"

also, some of the titles have '02' instead of '2'

Yes, these are Dead Show downloads...

In that case, if you are using the latest macOS (Mojave) - or maybe even the prior one, I can't recall for sure - you can now bulk-rename files in the Finder. So you can select all the files in a folder, then right-click (or Control-click, same thing) and the contextual menu will come up. Select "Rename X Items..." and then a little window will come in where you can select all kinds of options: add text, remove N characters, and so on.

If you are using iTunes and the issue is that song titles in iTunes have unwanted numbers in them, then in that case there are free AppleScripts out there that can batch-change the tags on music in your iTunes library.

But from you description it sounds like the Finder-based solution is what you're looking for.

7 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

ok, I cannot see any wildcard for the digits - is there one?

e.g. in many text editors (and in MS Word) you can use a wildcard character which will 'stand for' any digit

You can use this script but you'll have to replace each individual number+space by nothing:

https://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=searchreplacetagtext

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Well, I am really old school about this, as I would use a terminal and a few edit commands. ;). 

Something like this might work for you, but would be complex if you are not a RegEx guy... 

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-script-to-rename-file-according-to-delimiters-and-regular-expressions.1915371/#post-21859645.  

AppleScript is probably the easiest way though. 

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

On 3/13/2019 at 7:52 PM, Ralf11 said:

ok, I cannot see any wildcard for the digits - is there one?

e.g. in many text editors (and in MS Word) you can use a wildcard character which will 'stand for' any digit

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you'r trying to do, you don't need wildcards,. You can use the Finder's bulk-rename functionality to remove a certain number of characters from the beginning or end of the files' names.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 12:25 PM, Ralf11 said:

not sure what you mean

for the mac, I used Namechanger - quick/easy/free

also the Finder can be used as per above 

for Windows, @One and a half posted a program and has another thread on it - and it will also work on a mac if you run wine

I’ll try namechanger. When I said verdict I meant what’s the best way now that you’ve done the process.