IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

2 hours ago, di-fi said:

While waiting for an update, I wonder if it could be beneficial for you and your wonderful setup to try JPLAY femto /WIN10 and compare to Euphony OS? Anwar and lukasluis made convincing claims (starting September 20 in this thread) this will beat Euphony in sound quality. 

Hey Paul, yes Anwar reached out and said the same to me. It's on my todo list already but having just completed a major hardware switch, I'm trying to get in some listening time first to rediscover my music collection. 😄  It's a cliche but its so true that once you get a good step forward, old albums sound totally different, almost a new experience again.  

I'm also wondering how to try - I gather it's a more complicated setup having to install a specific version of Win10, adjust it manually (or load optimiser programs like Fidelizer or/and AO) and then install JPLAY. And whether it's best installed onto a separate drive from Euphony since the Euphony boot drive has a few partitions already?

If someone here has a simple step by step guide for the JPLAY installation that would be great as a reference.

4 hours ago, Marcin_gps said:

Thank you for the link. I meant to say the complete installation from a new PC including the correct version of Windows Server, especially the optimisation of the Win settings with say AO and/or Fidelizer. And suggestions on which disk or partition to do it in since most people here are using Euphony already and probably wouldn’t  want to wipe out their installation during comparison tests.

Currently Euphony installation is a simple process of insert a USB and boot.

• 2 months later...

For sure adding PGGB into Euphony was considered - apparently Željko reached out to Zaphod immediately after learning about his software but discovered it wasn’t a trivial job to add it. Then it was a matter of deciding whether to spend time on integration or working on getting the v4 (or v3 versions at that time) out. Given Euphony already has HQPlayer integrated and might also be wanting to work on their own upsampler instead, the choice was clear. 

Like most decisions in life, it’s all a matter of priority.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, davide256 said:

Both Roon and Stylus use a buffer for music to be played, the difference is that Stylus default is to buffer whole track before play (+next track if local tracks). You can see this

behavior with USB endpoints where when running Roon  you don't need much free RAM but if running Stylus  you must have enough free RAM to buffer 2 tracks.

The 2 track buffering also occurs with Tidal or Quobuz streaming files. You can mix up local and streamed files and Stylus will try to buffer the 2 files. Unlike local files, streaming playback will start whether the 2 track download is complete or not (despite the setting to download before starting playback which seems to applies only to local files).

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, dc-audiogeek said:

The Euphony Stylus beta has been released! Version 4.20220527 is now out in the world. 😀

It's definitely an early beta. It can only be run directly from a USB stick and there are a number of features that haven't been enabled yet. But it's here before 2023! Praise the digital gods.

If you’ve had a chance to hear it, how does it sound compared to latest v3?

12 hours ago, Exocer said:

I completely agree! Euphony 4 sounds phenomenally good, even from the USB stick.

Ditto, v4 beta sounds good. Next level details, texture and control while still sounding organic. Slightly smaller soundstage.

Many small adjustments making the program easier to use while keeping the same general look and feel so it’s pretty easy to move from v3 to v4. 

Under expert settings can load OS into ram. Unable to register the trial yet.

More installation notes for v4beta

- trial code should be entered inside euphony

- do not remove usb even if using ramroot

- if your music is stored in the same drive as v3 (the default v3 setup is a partition for the OS and another for the music on the same drive) his music partition will not be accessible in v4. If you need the music, make a copy out first.

16 hours ago, 87mpi said:

Do I need to request a new trial code for V4 or can I enter the license code for V3?  

Has anyone tried to enter the license for HQPe?

You need to get a Trial code by following the pop-up instructions. The Trial code has to be entered inside Euphony v4. Full purchase for v4 isn't available yet (I think, didn't ask). The trial is good for a month.

Cant use code for v3 since v4 is an upgrade

4 hours ago, dc-audiogeek said:

Score! I was able to link my NAS shared music drive finally.

Since the File Management option is removed in the Trial version, mounting drives or copying/moving file might be tricky. I found a quick way to add drives - Under Music, go to Files and there is an option to add the folder/drive to Library from there.

Also for those already using v3 with music inside a partition on the same drive that stores the v3 Euphony software (this is the default installation setup for Euphony v3), this v3 music partition isn't available to v4beta. You will have to move the music out somewhere else first before launching v4beta. This is by design, Euphony ignores it's own drives on another disk.

Given that kernel updates make such a HUGE difference in sound, it's good to see the new v4 has this option to try new Linux kernels. AudioLinux has the following to choose from. They seem to be newer than the ones offered in the current v4. Not to infer that they automatically sound better, just that the choices Željko offers are very specific for his own reasons. Also note that Piero mentions AL patches in the kernels - I wonder what those are for?

I have a spare Orico Dual Bay SSD M.2 running a hardware RAID 0 USB 3.1 drive in the office which operates without additional external power. It runs far faster than my SanDisk Ultra USB stick.

Curious to see if I could load the Euphony image into a very fast multi-disk RAID0 drive, it worked and booted up very fast. Runs as fast as Euphony installed in an internal drive (unlike when running from the SanDisk USB stick) and seems to be more stable during operations. Despite using RAMROOT, there is definitely USB disk access during operations and this drive really helped during library scans etc.

From what I can tell, it sounds a little better too. Images a little more real 

Might be worth the time to try this sort of thing out while waiting for the v4 full release