IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

18 minutes ago, barrows said:

A thought: did you power up the LPS-1 first, and then hot plug it into the oM?  If not, try that.  I do not know how much capacitance the LPS-1 has, but considering it uses ultra caps, there might be a lot of capacitance, and this may take some time to charge up, so the LPS-1 might struggle a bit to meet the inrush current demands of the oM at power up.  Powering up the LPS-1 first, and then plugging it into the oM might do the trick.

Thanks Barrows,

Good shout. I did a bit of both and perhaps that explains some of it. Will play around again but only connect the oM once the LPS-1 has been green for a good 30 seconds or so.

PS Nice work on the oM. Liking what I'm hearing. Bit of a harshness or edge that I'm putting down to burn-in or sub optimal power supply. But on the whole a very nice crisp focused image.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

2 hours ago, barrows said:

Yes, sounds sensible at first.  The technical point of view for suggesting that the best power supply possible for the oM will make a difference is based on the theory that achieving the lowest possible phase noise from internal oscillator is critical to the sonic performance/results.  If one accepts that the theory is likely correct, then using the best possible power supply is likely to be an advantage, as clock phase noise is dependent on power supply quality.  I am just trying to present this in a technical sense, and am not making any proclamations as to subjective sound quality improvements with power supply upgrades, I'll leave those evaluations to users.  

On the importance of power supplies in general, one should consider that in most high end audio products with built in power supplies, the power supplies usually compose at least half of the BOM cost for internal parts, often quite a larger portion than that.

Great points, as usual.  You have offered a plausible explanation for why a better power supply so dramatically improved the ER.  I should make a better power supply for the OM a higher priority.  

Does Sonore’s 30-day return policy apply to the power supply you designed as well?  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

2 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Great points, as usual.  You have offered a plausible explanation for why a better power supply so dramatically improved the ER.  I should make a better power supply for the OM a higher priority.  

Does Sonore’s 30-day return policy apply to the power supply you designed as well?  

I do not really handle sales and that kind of thing for Sonore, so I really do not know anything about return policies, etc.  Sorry.  you would have to contact Adrian or Jesus to confirm that.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

6 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Did some A-B-ing to compare Ethernet vs Fibre into the ER and the Fibre sounds a bit crisper. Not entirely sure I think it's better. But crisper seems a good description. Think there is a slight harshness that wasn't there before tho. Giving it some time to burn in but think I like it already.

In my system, the oM settled in after a week or so. 

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

• vortecjr locked and unlocked this topic
3 hours ago, PYP said:

I think that is my cue.  Well, the theory works in practice.  Very nice power supply (Sonore 5VDC for opticalModule).  Using with the stock power cords with excellent results.  And that is right out of the box.  It usually takes a while for equipment to settle in my system, but this already sounds very good. And the build quality leads me to believe this little brick will be in my system for a very long time.  Reasonable price too! 👍  

That's the feedback was hoping to hear.  Thanks for letting us know.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Guys, today I use the Uniquiti Edge Roter X fiber output that is in a room, up to the OpticalRendu input, would there be any advantage in adding the OpticalModule after the Uniquiti?

I'm already feeding Ubiquiti with a linear source.

Another question, I saw in this topic a post that reports that it is possible to use singlemode gbic with multimode fiber, is it really possible?

1 hour ago, juniorbudel said:

would there be any advantage in adding the OpticalModule after the Uniquiti?

The OpticalRendu will most likely perform at its best with a better switch upfront. Hence, it’s absolutely worth trying. 

Also, if that Ubiquiti is using POE, it’s not a good option. 

1 hour ago, juniorbudel said:

Another question, I saw in this topic a post that reports that it is possible to use singlemode gbic with multimode fiber, is it really possible?

No. Link please. The SFP is either SM or MM. A MM cable is different from  SM cable. Just google and, you will easily see how different they are. 

The Singlemode SFP and Multi-mode SFP mean the SFP transceivers will work on different types of optical fibers; as in a Singlemode SFP will work with Singlemode fiber only, and a Multi-mode SFP will work with Multi-mode fiber only.”

27 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

O OpticalRendu provavelmente terá o melhor desempenho com um melhor switch inicial. Portanto, vale a pena tentar. 

Além disso, se essa Ubiquiti estiver usando POE, não é uma boa opção. 

Não. Link por favor. O SFP é SM ou MM. Um cabo MM é diferente de um cabo SM. Basta pesquisar no Google e você verá facilmente como eles são diferentes. 

O SFP monomodo e o SFP multimodo significam que os transceptores SFP funcionarão em diferentes tipos de fibras ópticas; como em um SFP monomodo funcionará apenas com fibra monomodo, e  um SFP multimodo funcionará apenas com fibra multimodo .”

Ok, I'll try it, Ubiquiti is not using POE, all devices on the network (modem, router and Wi-Fi) are powered by a linear sources.

OM works with gbic multimode, right?

18 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Unfortunately I can't test other fibers, my server is in a room far from the sound room and the fiber I installed many years ago passed through the conduits with great difficulty.

Another question, would the OM support use with a 12v source? I know the specs recommend 6-9v but I only have a 12v linear supply left.

13 minutes ago, juniorbudel said:

Another question, would the OM support use with a 12v source? I know the specs recommend 6-9v but I only have a 12v linear supply left.

NO!!! You'll fry it. 5v is best according to Sonore, but the other listed voltage will work (I believe I'm using my first gen at 7v at the moment with a Teddy Pardo LPS). 

Remember, voltage needs to be in spec, amps can be over but not under. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

2 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

NÃO!!! Você vai fritar. 5v é melhor de acordo com o Sonore, mas a outra tensão listada funcionará (acredito que estou usando minha primeira geração em 7v no momento com um Teddy Pardo LPS). 

Eu imaginei, para testes vou usar um powerbank então, se for positivo o teste eu procuro uma boa fonte linear pra ele.

1 minute ago, juniorbudel said:

Eu imaginei, para testes vou usar um powerbank então, se for positivo o teste eu procuro uma boa fonte linear pra ele.

Sorry, I don't understand. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

One thing not mentioned is that the performance may be better as well if you can plug the opticalRendu and the fiber media convertor feeding it into different circuits. That way you really have isolation with the power. I was able to do that at our last house, esp as the network get was on one circuit, and the hifi on its own separate dedicated circuits. New house just all plugged into the same. But it's also my office system now, with fans, printers etc running so listening isn't as critical. 

15 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Uma coisa não mencionada é que o desempenho também pode ser melhor se você puder conectar o OpticalRendu e o conversor de mídia de fibra alimentando-o em circuitos diferentes. Dessa forma, você realmente tem isolamento com o poder. Consegui fazer isso em nossa última casa, especialmente porque a rede estava em um circuito e o hi-fi em seus próprios circuitos dedicados separados. Casa nova toda ligada na mesma. Mas também é o sistema do meu escritório agora, com ventiladores, impressoras etc funcionando, então ouvir não é tão crítico. 

Yes, that's the case here, the router that converts to fiber (to which I intend to connect the OM) is in a room far from the sound room, there are 25 meters of fiber between the 2 rooms, the sound room's electrical installation is separate from the rest of the house.