IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

Yup with the volume control or a remote, both analog and digital volume control alternatives offered. Mine is hooked directly up to a power amp, no preamp, and use analog volume with a programable TV remote...can use an Apple remote, if you have one.

Has anyone tried to use a Logitech Harmony One universal remote and set it up with the RC-5 standard? I can't use the Apple remote codes since I'm already using them for my Mac which is part of my music setup.

Logitech doesn't list the Mytek DAC in it's online setup menu, and without having such a RC-5 remote in my possession, I cannot transfer those signals to the Harmony One.

blaine78 and Harald,

i want to thank you both for feed back, especially with older units.

so far i had the same results with xp_32 (old drv) and w7_64 (newer drv). - not too much hope left.

anyway, i will have to try again.

if it doesn't work i will contact dealer and / or mytek.

dubbio

Dubbio,

do you have your unit - on which you state it is an early production model (2011?) - modified as mentioned from Mytek in their firmware-update notes?

See "Stereo192-dsd-dac_firmware_hardware_modification_for_dacs_sold_in_2011_only.jpg"

which can be found in this package: http://mytekdigital.com/download_library/Mytek_Stereo192-DSD_DAC_firmware-driver-software_install_package_current_May_30_2012.zip

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Has anyone tried to use a Logitech Harmony One universal remote and set it up with the RC-5 standard? I can't use the Apple remote codes since I'm already using them for my Mac which is part of my music setup.

Logitech doesn't list the Mytek DAC in it's online setup menu, and without having such a RC-5 remote in my possession, I cannot transfer those signals to the Harmony One.

Take a look into the manul (V. 2.0), pages 37 and 38 ...

You should be able to get the codes programmed into your Harmony remote set.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Take a look into the manul (V. 2.0), pages 37 and 38 ...

You should be able to get the codes programmed into your Harmony remote set.

I'm aware of that information, however that is not how you program the Harmony One. You have to choose from a list of devices in Logitech's online Database. The only way as I see it is to find a device that uses an RC 5 remote control and choose that one. After that, I'll be free to switch around key allocations. Would you know a simple receiver or amp or music server which uses the RC 5 standard?

Hi Beat!

Ok, it might get a bit tricky then ...

I'm using a remote from my TV (Loewe Xelos 5270), maybe you have it in the database for your Harmony?

Dubbio,

do you have your unit modified as mentioned from Mytek in their firmware-update notes?

Harald,

yes it came with the trace cut right out of the box (around early 2012).

At the time of purchase I looked under the top cover to check whether or not i would need to do this myself.

Windows Notebook / Foobar2000 -> Mytek 192 DSD -> Lua 6060 Tube Amp -> T+A Speaker

Vinyl: Thorens TD320 / MC Rondo Red -> Threshold Fet Nine -> Lake People ADC C440 -> AES

HP: Denon AH-D7000

Harald,

yes it came with the trace cut right out of the box (around early 2012).

At the time of purchase I looked under the top cover to check whether or not i would need to do this myself.

OK,

there must be some other reason for your problems ...

Keeep us posted!

As I just found out, the two programmable funktion keys on the Mytek DAC don't work independently (firmware 1.7.5). I called Mytek and had this confirmed.

So, if you program the FN1 key, you will find the same setup on the FN2 key and vice versa. That means you really only have one set of A, B and C to set up.

Will they solve the problem? Having two identical FN is useless
Hi Beat!

Ok, it might get a bit tricky then ...

I'm using a remote from my TV (Loewe Xelos 5270), maybe you have it in the database for your Harmony?

Hi Synfreak

Thank you for that info. I've set up the Loewe Remote on my Harmony and it kinda works.

I found the volume controls (directionLeft and directionRight) as well as the FN1 key (key #2). There is a mute function on key #3. That's all. If I could find the menu key, my needs would be covered. So, which button do you press on your Loewe remote to get the Mytek menu?

As I just found out, the two programmable funktion keys on the Mytek DAC don't work independently (firmware 1.7.5). I called Mytek and had this confirmed.

So, if you program the FN1 key, you will find the same setup on the FN2 key and vice versa. That means you really only have one set of A, B and C to set up.

Not a big problem, but this information might avoid some frustration when going through the menus.

I'm not sure I understand your post. I have 1.75 installed and have 2 totally separate functions defined, one for FN1 (engage mute) and the other for FN2 (choose source) .

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'm not sure I understand your post. I have 1.75 installed and have 2 totally separate functions defined, one for FN1 (engage mute) and the other for FN2 (choose source) .

Maybe this only happens when you try to define sources on both keys. I defined two sources on FN1, FireWire and Toslink. Pressing the FN2 key will then give me the exact same result. Changing one source on FN2 will also change it on FN1.

Anyway, Mytek will fix this problem in a future firmware release, that's what I was told.

Hi Synfreak

Thank you for that info. I've set up the Loewe Remote on my Harmony and it kinda works.

I found the volume controls (directionLeft and directionRight) as well as the FN1 key (key #2). There is a mute function on key #3. That's all. If I could find the menu key, my needs would be covered. So, which button do you press on your Loewe remote to get the Mytek menu?

I thought it was key "1", but I can't access/dial through the menu when engaged. As I use it mainly for volume changes, that haven't bothered me ...

Could you use/program Apple remote codes with your Harmony?

I thought of one more thing: Since you only defined one function each, you might not notice. Every pressing of either key simply toggles the two functions. Try pressing the same key twice in a row, you might see both functions. And since you weren't changing the source input, you never ran into any problems.

Maybe this only happens when you try to define sources on both keys. I defined two sources on FN1, FireWire and Toslink. Pressing the FN2 key will then give me the exact same result. Changing one source on FN2 will also change it on FN1.

Anyway, Mytek will fix this problem in a future firmware release, that's what I was told.

I had the exactly same problem here with the 1.7.5 beta firmware and with the final FW too.

I hope this will be fixed with a newer FW, because I use the two FN buttons for directly switching between two inputs (USB2 and Analog in my case)

I thought it was key "1", but I can't access/dial through the menu when engaged. As I use it mainly for volume changes, that haven't bothered me ...

Could you use/program Apple remote codes with your Harmony?

That's what I found out too, no accessing the menu. And additionally, you would need the function "press volume knob" to effect any changes. So, in the end I'm at least able to change the source remotely. Thank you again.

The Apple remote codes can certainly be used. I'm employing a Mac Mini in my home stereo setup and am using the 6 different functions the Apple remote offers. Logitech has them listed in their database.

I thought of one more thing: Since you only defined one function each, you might not notice. Every pressing of either key simply toggles the two functions. Try pressing the same key twice in a row, you might see both functions. And since you weren't changing the source input, you never ran into any problems.

No, the two keys are totally separate in my setup. Doesn't matter how many times I press each one, or how many times I change the source input. No togging of the keys.

So,apparently the problem is connected to the fact that you want to use the two keys for essentially the same function, whereas in my case each key is controlling a function unrelated to the one defined for the other key.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I had the exactly same problem here with the 1.7.5 beta firmware and with the final FW too.

I hope this will be fixed with a newer FW, because I use the two FN buttons for directly switching between two inputs (USB2 and Analog in my case)

As long as you are using not more than three functions, one single key will do. Just keep pressing the same key twice in a row if necessary.

The Apple remote codes can certainly be used. I'm employing a Mac Mini in my home stereo setup and am using the 6 different functions the Apple remote offers. Logitech has them listed in their database.

If you don't use the apple remote in the same setup / at the same time, you might be able to choose the Apple Remote codes instead of the RC5 ones. But if used for remote-controlling i.e. ITunes, ... it would collide, so no luck.

As long as you are using not more than three functions, one single key will do. Just keep pressing the same key twice in a row if necessary.

Yes, I know. But thanks anyway.

OK,

there must be some other reason for your problems ...

Keeep us posted!

again updated to 1.7.5 at first with the same result on xp_32 and w7_64.

this was via fw express-card with TI chipset (recommended by TC electronics).

after that, hooked up the mytek via onboard fw controler (Ricoh with 4 pin connector).

and yes - it lets me play 96kHz again. next test will be to cross-check the used fw cables.

thanks for help getting this solved.

dubbio

Windows Notebook / Foobar2000 -> Mytek 192 DSD -> Lua 6060 Tube Amp -> T+A Speaker

Vinyl: Thorens TD320 / MC Rondo Red -> Threshold Fet Nine -> Lake People ADC C440 -> AES

HP: Denon AH-D7000

My apologies in advance...

Most CD players/DACs like my Esoteric seem to have a nominal Output Voltage of 2.5 Vrms.

While I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere in this voluminous thread with respect to "jumpers" if I remember correctly, I am interested in knowing what the Output Voltage is of my DAC (S/N ending in 117*) which was built/received 09/12/12. From what I poorly understand, it might be either 0.614 Vrms or 0.307 Vrms.

Thanks in advance since this might be related to an earlier post of mine re distortion.

Can anyone provide some insight on this query? Thanks.

Can anyone provide some insight on this query? Thanks.

A quick search of this forum, using "output voltage" :)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mytek-stereo-192-a-5555/index70.html#post170859

Another measurement by a good buddy:

Mytek Stereo192 DSD Dac Measurements (large image warning)

Net/net is that the XLR outs (at 0db, standard jumpers) is 10.33VRMS and the RCAs half of that. In the case of the RCAs I use the 6db jumpers (gets me to 2.65VRMS) then dial down the analog volume to -4 to get to my 2VRMS that my pre will accept.

A quick search of this forum, using "output voltage" :)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mytek-stereo-192-a-5555/index70.html#post170859

Another measurement by a good buddy:

Mytek Stereo192 DSD Dac Measurements (large image warning)

Net/net is that the XLR outs (at 0db, standard jumpers) is 10.33VRMS and the RCAs half of that. In the case of the RCAs I use the 6db jumpers (gets me to 2.65VRMS) then dial down the analog volume to -4 to get to my 2VRMS that my pre will accept.

I've tested and on mine I get 2.44vrms on the RCAs at 0dBFS. which is a true -6dB from the jumper.

If you are getting 2.65VRMS, then you only need a -3db on the Mytek volume to get 1.875Vrms.

-4db will give you 1.67Vrms

-2db will give you 2.10Vrms

Great and simple calculator here.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

Is the one I used, and with help of my multimeter when conversing back and forward with mytek to add the -6dB jumper. My Amp at the time only accepted a max of 2.5Vrms (-6db)

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

OK, my head just exploded! Between all the specs @ -14dbs, -18dbs, with and without jumpers, and the "simple :-( calculator" kindly provided as well as the very confusing (to me) discussion in Michal's design "white paper", I sure could use some Output Voltage -101!

Assuming that I have a DAC produced on/about 09/12 (S/N 01406-1208-117) which I am guessing has the -6dB jumpers running Firmware 1.7.5b1 (without checking under the hood) and having the DAC internal gain control set to BYPASS, what would be the expected OUTPUT VOLTAGES for XLR and RCA?

Again my apologies for being an electronics luddite...

OK, my head just exploded! Between all the specs @ -14dbs, -18dbs, with and without jumpers, and the "simple :-( calculator" kindly provided as well as the very confusing (to me) discussion in Michal's design "white paper", I sure could use some Output Voltage -101!

Assuming that I have a DAC produced on/about 09/12 (S/N 01406-1208-117) which I am guessing has the -6dB jumpers running Firmware 1.7.5b1 (without checking under the hood) and having the DAC internal gain control set to BYPASS, what would be the expected OUTPUT VOLTAGES for XLR and RCA?

Again my apologies for being an electronics luddite...

At bypass volume setting:

-6db jumpers

2.5VRms on RCA

5VRms on XLR

default (no jumpers)

5.15VRMs on RCA

10.3VRMs on XLR

However, I doubt your jumpers are set to -6db as default. You'll likely need to move them. But the net is that the Mytek comes from the pro world, and is quite hot from a consumer load input perspective. Hence the jumpers, trims, etc.

At bypass volume setting:

-6db jumpers

2.5VRms on RCA

5VRms on XLR

default (no jumpers)

5.15VRMs on RCA

10.3VRMs on XLR

However, I doubt your jumpers are set to -6db as default. You'll likely need to move them. But the net is that the Mytek comes from the pro world, and is quite hot from a consumer load input perspective. Hence the jumpers, trims, etc.

Thanks for the summary, ted_b! Yeah, that is pretty hot w/o jumpers. Guess I'll be checking under the hood this weekend for jumper status using post #1703 and #1709 ;-) as guide!