IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

I have a Mac book pro Im planning on using for my audio PC, is there a consensus for the best software and connection type (usb Firewire) for doing DSD with the Mytek?

You may get various responses as to which connection is best. Personally, Firewire is without a doubt best connection in my system. If you have/demo a Mytek, you can always test and hear what you prefer. it's another plus of this DAC.

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

Please keep in mind, that Mytek needs at least half an hour warm up time for the best sound. I would ask the dealer to switch it on prior.

http://www.premiermixing.com

SqueezeBox Touch / MacBook Pro -> Audirvana Plus -> Firewire -> Mytek Stereo192-DSD -> GAC1 Pro -> Luxman L-410 -> Rubicon RP63F

SqueezeBox Touch / MacBook Pro -> Audirvana Plus -> Firewire -> Mytek Stereo192-DSD -> GAC1 Pro -> DIY Headphone Amp -> Beyerdynamic T70 / AKG K500 / Sennheiser HD540 / Shure SRH840

Mac Pro -> Audirvana Plus -> Lynx AES16 -> Lynx CBL-AES1605 -> Lynx Aurora -> Mogami 2932 XLR -> M-Audio EX66

Any information, what's new? If i am happy with the current Mac drivers, does it worth to upgrade?

I had downloaded the latest MytekDiceDrv_4.1.3.17357 for Mac. ( mytek_stereo192-dsd-dac_firmware_V1.7.5 b1 use with my iMac +os 10.8.4 and Audivarna + 1.5.4 or 1.4.9.7 , A+ displaying "stop peripheric" !!! I cannot hear any sound.

(direct mode and integer ticked, up sampling power of 2 with isotope.

After I play a song with Fidelia and have no issue or problem.

After I had downgraded the firmware with the mytek_stereo192-dsd-dac_firmware_V1.7.1. Nothing to do with A+ displaying

always "stop peripheric"

Have I forgotten something with the driver 4..1.3 upgrade ?

best

My understanding is that the Mytek needs power coming over the USB to work properly as a USB DAC.

Has anyone used the iFi IIGemini with the Mytek?

If so, what were the results?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

My understanding is that the Mytek needs power coming over the USB to work properly as a USB DAC.

The Mytek supplies it's own 5 volts for USB implementation. The pc 5 volts on pin 1 & 4 of the cable can be removed without any effect on the Mytek. At least that is my experience here.

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

Thanks for the link to the remote guide, Ted. Something nice to add to the 192 User Manual.

This is the Gen1 remote I have:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6143[/ATTACH]

I do not believe it is Aluminum. Can it be used?

I would think so. Give it a try.

Per suggestion, did give it a try.

Mytek DOES recognize the Gen1(?) plastic remote and will access DAC MENU when that button is pressed on the remote. First layer of MENU can be accessed, i.e., INPUT, UPSAMP, etc by pressing MENU UP/SCROLL (or MENU DOWN) but trial and error revealed no way to access the second layer, that is USB1, USB2, etc. for INPUT.

Has anyone else tried to use the first generation (plastic) remote to control the Mytek?

Don't have a problem with $20 for an aluminum remote but thought I would exhaust this option. Thanks.

I confirm, after installed firewire driver 4.1.3 Audirvana 1.5.4 display "stop peripheric".

Downgraded with the v.3.5.6 and no bugs.

Syst Mac Os 10.8.4

Someone had this issue ??

I can confirm that on my MacBookPro (Core2Due 8G Ram) iOS 10.8.4 Audirvana 1.5.4

i have installed the new firewire driver, no problem. Audirnava is still functioning . The only difference that i have noticed is that in the control panel of the driver the mode become "Normal" as default instead of "Safe Mode 1" that i have got when installing the old version.

I can not hear any difference on the sound. and it seems that everything (player, sac etc.) is working the same.

As i understand from the previous replies, is the new driver has solved lot of issues with MS Windows and not with Mac.

important NOTE:

i didn't install at all the beta version of the firmware , my DAC is set with 1.7.1 out of the box.

i prefer not working with beta.

btw , any date for the official release?

"Any date for official release ?"

The website says '15 July 1.7.5' , does this indicate a sorted non- beta release and has anyone tried it yet ?

Is the ASIO drivers updated in these later releases. I had to use ASIO for my USB/W8/JRiver to new Mytek (1.7.1)(1.33.10) DAC to be able to play DSD128.

The website says '15 July 1.7.5' , does this indicate a sorted non- beta release and has anyone tried it yet ?

OK , tried the official release.

Everything is working fine, noticed the bypass confirm (why?)

Also tested dsd128 file . working, the device shows "HddSd"

with Audirvana, but must uncheck the "use only stereo" in the preferences, otherwise the device shows 176.4 and no sound or white noise.

For playing SACD iso (dsd64) must check this option otherwise i got 176.4 (with sound)

Exellent Mytek!

Also downloaded the official release and everything works great!

Audirvana 1.5.4 on mac mini via firewire.

Also switching between multiple sample.rates including DSD64 and DSD128 within the same playlist works just fine.

updated with new firmware 1.7.5 release. so far so good.

making a note of mentioning the dimming of the display is now excellent! brightness level 1 is perfect brightness for night. great usability. very happy

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

I can confirm that on my MacBookPro (Core2Due 8G Ram) iOS 10.8.4 Audirvana 1.5.4

i have installed the new firewire driver, no problem. Audirnava is still functioning . The only difference that i have noticed is that in the control panel of the driver the mode become "Normal" as default instead of "Safe Mode 1" that i have got when installing the old version.

I can not hear any difference on the sound. and it seems that everything (player, sac etc.) is working the same.

As i understand from the previous replies, is the new driver has solved lot of issues with MS Windows and not with Mac.

important NOTE:

i didn't install at all the beta version of the firmware , my DAC is set with 1.7.1 out of the box.

i prefer not working with beta.

btw , any date for the official release?

What control panel ??

There is no panel control of the driver with mac (mine iMac I5)

The Mytek supplies it's own 5 volts for USB implementation. The pc 5 volts on pin 1 & 4 of the cable can be removed without any effect on the Mytek. At least that is my experience here.

Jim

I wrote Mytek also and this was the reply:

Official answer is: USB input needs power over the USB cable in order to

function properly. There is connection over USB to protection of ISD, so

the "power" should be there.

Not sure how your experience and the Mytek answer work together

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I installed Firmware 1.7.5 twice but could not get any sound going from my PC to the Mytek through USB2. Firewire works OK. Every time I am reverting to beta 1.7.5 all is normal again and USB2 (with external clocking) works fine. Guess I will have to wait for firmware 1.7.6, until then I will stay with the beta.

alan

Not sure how your experience and the Mytek answer work together

Firedog;

In that case my experience should be irrelevant for others.

As I stated in my response to your question, that is just my experience here. I always try to remove any potential contamination to USB data lines of the pc 5 volts to the Dac, either by removal, or with a separate supply. The system functions very well, and is wonderful to listen to. It's a DIYer passion of mine. :0)

But that is just my own bias, and Mytek's advice should be followed.

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

I installed Firmware 1.7.5 twice but could not get any sound going from my PC to the Mytek through USB2. Firewire works OK. Every time I am reverting to beta 1.7.5 all is normal again and USB2 (with external clocking) works fine. Guess I will have to wait for firmware 1.7.6, until then I will stay with the beta.

if you can use the firewire, is there any reason to use USB2 ?

Another new thing that i find out (i guess it's coming from the new firewire driver and not from the new firmware)

First, please if someone can clarify :

if i choose in mytek UP_SAMPLING->On and play with A+ 44.1Khz file, should mytek show 192 or 44.1 because mine shows 44.1, so is it ok ? because i am expecting to see 192.

and that leads to the new thing that i noticed:

if i play directly from iTunes instead of A+ which before the new firewire driver worked for me only by USB.

When playing the same 44.1khz file i see on mytek 192 even when the up sampling option is off.

i can change this by using the firewire control panel to 44.1 and then mytek shows 44.1 . off course that it's not practical to change this manually for every song with different bit rate.

if you ask why to play with iTunes and not A+? the answer is that i want sometimes to use the shared library option of iTunes and A+ can play only files that you add to to local library .

so to summarise my questions:

1) is the UP SAMPLING -> ON should change the bit rate display

2) when playing directly from iTunes, is it better to keep the auto up sampling of the driver to 192 or is it better to change to 44.1 and let mytek do the up sampling

thanks a lot!

1) It shows the sample rate of the incoming signal.

2) I would avoid hardware upsampling, just as the improper implementation of software upsampling (iTunes).

http://www.premiermixing.com

SqueezeBox Touch / MacBook Pro -> Audirvana Plus -> Firewire -> Mytek Stereo192-DSD -> GAC1 Pro -> Luxman L-410 -> Rubicon RP63F

SqueezeBox Touch / MacBook Pro -> Audirvana Plus -> Firewire -> Mytek Stereo192-DSD -> GAC1 Pro -> DIY Headphone Amp -> Beyerdynamic T70 / AKG K500 / Sennheiser HD540 / Shure SRH840

Mac Pro -> Audirvana Plus -> Lynx AES16 -> Lynx CBL-AES1605 -> Lynx Aurora -> Mogami 2932 XLR -> M-Audio EX66

2) I would avoid hardware upsampling, just as the improper implementation of software upsampling (iTunes).

Thanks!

the problem is that it's not iTunes that does the upsampling , if so i am sure that there were a kind of option that tell iTunes to disable up sampling , and i haven't found one.

i guess that it's the firewire driver. inside the driver control panel there is a drop list to choose the bit rate , but i was expected to find something like : "Keep original bit rate"

unfortunately there is not. so the only practical thing for my understanding is to keep the highest up sampling 192 otherwise if there is different bit rate in one playlist and i will choose manually 44.1 i will get down scale when playing a song with a higher bit rate.

please confirm or correct me if i am wrong.

thanks.

After more testing i have noticed one thing; The display sometimes show DSD ,or sometimes it show 176,4 when switching song from DSD128 to DSD64.8(within same playlist)

Audirvana player show DSD64 though..

I encountered this too.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256