IGNORED

What kind of headphones should I choose?

TomLee

Question

7 answers to this question

I wouldn't give any credence to the linked article, which contains too many generalizations. 

Many people, I would even say most, prefer a headphone with boosted midbass (e.g. Sennheiser HD 650), but it really annoys me. Some people are very sensitive to treble, whereas I prefer a headphone with lots of airiness and detail, showing as a bit of a treble spike on a FR graph (e.g. Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro). Some headphones are thought comfortable by some, but tortured me (e.g. Grado RS, Hifiman HE). I have a friend with an expensive Audeze planar that he loves, but to me lacks PRaT, something I consider above all else.

Obviously you need to do some research, as you are, but the best way to compare headphones is on your head. Sonic preferences are very individual, possibly more so with headphones than anything else in audio. Physical comfort is extremely important for extended listening, and everyone's head, ears and tolerance levels are different. Can you get to a store for some trials?

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

6 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Many people, I would even say most, prefer a headphone with boosted midbass (e.g. Sennheiser HD 650), but it really annoys me. Some people are very sensitive to treble, whereas I prefer a headphone with lots of airiness and detail, showing as a bit of a treble spike on a FR graph (e.g. Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro).

Likewise. Yours are a bit out of my affordability range though .:$

I recently bought a pair of ATH M 70X to replace a pair of ATH W1000 where one capsule had gone open circuit.

I can't complain about the price, although they are not quite as good as them, which also benefitted from a little Butyl resonance dampening in the Bubinga wood cups.

Due to the all plastic frame construction they can be a little microphonic which is quite noticeable when you run your finger over the top support when listening.

ATH M70x.jpg

fr-3x-beyer.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I didn't notice at the time that the graphs had no headphone names. :$

The top graph is for the ATH M70X and the bottom one for Audiobomber's  Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro).

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020