IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

39 minutes ago, Elberoth said:

@Superdad - this is a simple endpoint, so a single SATA SSD powered by a separate transformer and low noise +5V voltage regulator (3x LT3045). 

Do you have any motherboard storage, like EMMC?  That SATA SSD is kind of nasty for a low-power endpoint.

[By the way, I run Roon Core Server under AudioLinux on a Celeron NUC (NUC7CJYS) that has 32GB eMMC, plus 8GB of Apacer RAM. The whole thing draws less than 1A.

Previously used it as endpoint (USB>ISO REGEN>modified Singxer SU-1>Holo Spring L3 via I2S). Now I have it just as server on 'A' side of EtherREGEN, with Pi2Design Mercury as Ethernet>I2S RoonBridge endpoint under GentooPlayer.]

@Superdad unfortunately, no slots for cards on the MoBo I'm using. 

ASRock J5040-ITX mobo with 8GB RAM powerd by ultra low noise 12V PSU + PicoPSU

PinkFaun Ultra USB PCIe card, powered by ultra low noise 5V PSU + supercapacitors bank

SATA SSD powered by ultra low noise 5V PSU

Each PSU powered by a separate power transformer (3 in total). 

My next mod will be swapping 12V PSU + PicoPSU combo with dedicated 12V, 5V and 3.3V ultra low noise PSUs. 

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Hello, I am looking now at alternatives for my streamer and I am considering going back to Audio Linux. I have an unlimited licence I bought in 2020. 

I will be using a two machine setup - NUC powered by LPS as the server that will also hold my own library. and another NUC for end point or an IFI zen stream (both powered by a high grade linear power supply). My current preference will be to use Roon as player, but wanted to see if people tried other stuff (UPNP etc). 

Also interested in feedback on the new V3 compared to the V2 I was using. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
tidal-hifi is already available on Archlinux. See

You can install it on terminal with:
yay -Sy tidal-hifi-bin --noconfirm
but only on lxqt version

I personally think the best way is to use BubbleUPnP (Android) or Mconnect (Android+iOS) etc.
These applications can control HQPlayer or MPD
LMS+Squeezelite combination can play from Tidal:
Roon also can play from Tidal. 

This way you would have a better quality than Tidal application.

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

have updated to menu 660 - however MC31 will not open and feather pad does not run ? Both operated fine previously.

Also wondering how to get internal music file ssd drives  to mount automatically. At the moment have enter root password to mount them every time when booting up AL. 

Last menu version should have automatically installed featherpad (qt6) instead of featherpad-qt5

You can go to console/terminal and type

yay -R featherpad-qt5 --noconfirm

and install the other version:

yay -Sy featherpad --noconfirm

(I suppose that the system is updated, otherwise you could have some errors installing featherpad. If you are using lxqt the link on the bottom bar could point to the old version, please use the applications menu)

If you are using lxqt version, you should not mount your drives from pcmanfm file explorer but you should go to

System menu -> 4 "MOUNT/UMOUNT local drive" and answer Y to "Do you want to mount this drive automatically at boot? (y/n)"

Supported formats are ext4, ntfs, vfat, exfat

Ext4 is highly recommended

If you still have errors please include the content of /etc/fstab

and the output in terminal of

sudo dmesg | grep mount

Here Jriver 31 is starting fine. Please be sure that your system is updated and that you have the last version of Jriver.

Note that in Audiolinux V3 versions 5.6.1 and 7.6.1 the OS has been rebuild.

Now Audiolinux V3 lxqt is compatible with HQPlayer Desktop and Google Chrome.

There is not a clean way to update to these versions, re-installation is necessary.

Naturally you can continue to update the previous versions.

24 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

Yes it should work with AUDIOLINUX Classic.

Thanks so much for the quick response.  So would you give the same answer for other related Atom-based CPUS?

How about a Fitlet2 (with Celeron processor):  https://www.amazon.com/fitlet-FITLET2-CE3930-fitlet2-E3930-Barebone/dp/B078V6MT9D/ref=sr_1_3?crid=KKF1M37PL7NF&keywords=fitlet2&qid=1701369973&sprefix=fitlet%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840&th=1 ?

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

This type of PC is good for an endpoint.

For a better quality a CPU more powerful is preferable.

I recommend last AMD Ryzen of the 7000 series because of support to x86_64_v4 (avx512, not supported by last Intel).

Also the models for laptop are fine and can be used for low power mini PC.

5 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

This type of PC is good for an endpoint.

For a better quality a CPU more powerful is preferable.

I recommend last AMD Ryzen of the 7000 series because of support to x86_64_v4 (avx512, not supported by last Intel).

Also the models for laptop are fine and can be used for low power mini PC.

Yes, I should have been more clear.  The idea is to use one as a Roon endpoint.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

So, I have 2 nucs, a gen 8 i7 (not used) and a gen 12 i7. I also have one of the magnificent js2's powering it, with a spare channel on it as my matrix pro x doesn't like the USB iso Regen.

Currently I'm just using the gen 12 nuc running Roon server, using tidal and HQ player on audiolinux v3 with custom kernel. I run the orange settings from memory but do not use ram boot as I find it annoying to not be able to save playlists etc from Roon. Everything get sampled to 1024 dad.

Any boffins here familiar with these nucs that can recommend a configuration I could try to optimise this? Should I use the gen 8 Nuc as an endpoint? If so any settings I should be aware of?

Please and thanks 🙏