IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

37 minutes ago, MikeO3 said:

What upnp software and library config are you now using?

At the moment minimserver on the Audiolinux box and renderer is my LPS powered Zenstream. I am testing for control Mconnect vs Jplay IOS. At the moment, everything is default. I have not yet looked at tweaking. Any advice is welcome! 

3 hours ago, al2813 said:

At the moment minimserver on the Audiolinux box and renderer is my LPS powered Zenstream. I am testing for control Mconnect vs Jplay IOS. At the moment, everything is default. I have not yet looked at tweaking. Any advice is welcome! 

Thanks. Nope, sorry no advice on these, at least for now! I have a love hate with roon and keep coming back to it because it just works at full bitrates with no fuss on my wireless network. Would like to change to something else but hard to get the rich content roon delivers. Let me know how you do in your assessment.

I saw thread-up that  @hifi25nl posted an integrated LMS and hqplayer. Looks interesting but unclear what the license if hosted on AL. Is it a desktop license or embedded? I don’t usually have need curves or convolution so is there any benefit to injecting hqplayer in the stream? I have no issues with sound quality or tuning in my listing room so interested in peoples opinion.

On the client side, take a look at Neutron Music Player. It’s been one of my goto clients for years (decades?). Steep learning curve but cool app which keeps you busy when on a plane or train! 😊

The advantages of LMS:

1) No crash and is a native linux product.

2) Nice Interface if you are using Material Skin

3) Can use squeezelite as player, but also all applications supporting UPnP, for example HQPlayer embedded, MPD with upmpdcli etc and other applications with special plugins like Spotify, Airplay, etc.

4) Support for Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer, iTunes and many other services.

5) No huge library files as in Roon and low CPU load

6) Nice Control points like iPeng for iOS and Squeezer for Android

7) Support for a lot of radio stations including TuneIn, Shoutcast, Jazzradio.com group

8) Very good support in forums

9) Free

Today I was listening to jazzradio upsampled to DSD1024 with HQPlayer!

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

21 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

The advantages of LMS:

1) No crash and is a native linux product.

2) Nice Interface if you are using Material Skin

3) Can use squeezelite as player, but also all applications supporting UPnP, for example HQPlayer embedded, MPD with upmpdcli etc and other applications with special plugins like Spotify, Airplay, etc.

4) Support for Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer, iTunes and many other services.

5) No huge library files as in Roon and low CPU load

6) Nice Control points like iPeng for iOS and Squeezer for Android

7) Support for a lot of radio stations including TuneIn, Shoutcast, Jazzradio.com group

8) Very good support in forums

9) Free

Today I was listening to jazzradio upsampled to DSD1024 with HQPlayer!

I like the no crash comment.. :)

And what about value add for the HQPlayer integration as part of the audio chain? Why do you want to upsample a stream which is potentially lacking the data in the 1st place. Isn't it a bunch of padding zeroes? Thanks.

I am currently running my fanless NUC13 i5 using ROCK in a remote closet. DAC is an MSB Premier via the modular Renderer V2 (Ethernet streamer). Works fine with Roon, but I am wanting to explore other options, and would like to have a more versatile music server. (I don’t need a Linux streamer)

I downloaded the trial for JPlayIOS, and confirmed it sees my MSB renderer. It requires a UPNP server, and does not see the music on the ROCK. I wanted to try Audirvana also for control software.

I use a combination of iPad, and Mac for control.

Would the AL server be configurable to serve up Roon, and UPNP? I could install the Roon license on the Mac, I guess, and read the files from the server. But having Roon core on the server would be better.

Long thread here, I read a lot of it, and looked at the AL site some, a bit confusing to chase down the answers I’m looking for.

My other option is to re-install Win11, and run Roon and minimserver, but that will require either monitor/keyboard  and or figuring out RDP from my Mac to the then PC for upkeep, which seems to be needed often with Windows.

A headless purpose built Linux system that meets my needs seem like a better solution.

Thanks in advance.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

8 hours ago, Bones13 said:

My other option is to re-install Win11, and run Roon and minimserver, but that will require either monitor/keyboard  and or figuring out RDP from my Mac to the then PC for upkeep, which seems to be needed often with Windows.

Another option is to run on your Nuc Ubuntu (22.04 LTS) and install Roon Server and Minimserver.

To remote access your Nuc, not needed very often, you can use TeamViewer (no license needed for LAN access and private use).

To manage Minimserver you don’t need to remote access your Nuc as all can be done by its web interface.

I’m using this solution (but I’m not using Roon) and it is very stable and reliable (Nuc8i3/16GB ram/Ubuntu 22.04 LTS), it is on 24/7 since 5 years … and there are no Windows headaches ….

Stefano

My audio system

Thank you both for the answers, I’ll continue to evaluate options. I’m thinking the optimized audiophile Linux distros are designed for streamer use mostly, and have some library management abilities. 

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm helping a friend install Audio Linux but keep getting the error below on boot. Have used Rufus 2.18 and Balena Etcher on 2 different USB drives with the same result. Checked File SHA, disabled secure boot, etc. Any ideas?

image.thumb.jpeg.3e530c54ceab8486c088c39b94bf89f0.jpeg

Server | EMM | Dartzeel | Evolution Acoustics

If you look here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/77773/intel-pentium-processor-g3220-3m-cache-3-00-ghz/specifications.html

"Instruction Set Extensions Intel® SSE4.1, Intel® SSE4.2"

No avx2

Maybe I will specify avx2 on the site.

Is possible to change from Audiolinux V3 to Audiolinux Classic contacting support.

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering whether anyone would post a comment about the 2000Hz kernel now available in AL v3, I've been using it for the last few days in combination with 24 bit PGGB256 files played as is (except for dither) by HQP embedded via SRC-DX to Chord DAVE and find the sound quality to be the finest I have yet heard with improved realism generally and particularly striking to me with piano sounds.

I sometimes wonder whether all the tweaking is worth it but at this point I think this particular rabbit hole has been rewarding. I don't claim to have done comparative tests with the prior AL version but I thought my experience might be of interest.

There is not a trial version of Audiolinux because price is low and you 

should think at it as a service. 

Audiolinux support will follow the user during installation and 

optimization of the audio system. This process of tuning needs some work and time.

Audiolinux has not a sound. You can configure it with more than 100 options and you can install all drivers and applications available for Linux.

This way you can configure the system the way you want. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 3:45 PM, ajm said:

…about the 2000Hz kernel now available in AL v3, … I think this particular rabbit hole has been rewarding…

I am a new v3 user who wonders which rabbit holes to pursue now that my Kaby Lake i7-7567U CPU @ 3.50GHz NUC is happily running 1666 Hz 6.6.9-4-audiolinux-rt RT LTO with Diretta to a 8Gb Pi4 target. Other than implementing Diretta and isolating cores on the RPi, I’ve not messed with RAMROOT or any other configuration options yet because I’m scared of screwing up a good thing.

My preference is to continue with Roon as player, but I miss the option to use UPnP, LMS or even AirPlay as I had with DietPi. Are they all compatible with Diretta, or compromise SQ when using Roon?

Which configuration choices would you recommend?

• 3 weeks later...

An important update:

Menu 701
The option 12 'CPU ucode and scaling driver to AMD/Intel' will update Audiolinux kernel configuration following Archlinux 'mkinitcpio hook migration and early microcode':
https://archlinux.org/news/mkinitcpio-hook-migration-and-early-microcode/
Please be sure that your system is updated

Added 'If you are having problems running Roon you should disable rtapp with the option 13 'REALTIME PRIORITY configuration' (System menu), disable isolated cores if enabled and reboot' to Roonserver enable/disable option in Audio menu
The update will also set ownership of /var/roon to root user and delete custom /etc/systemd/system/roonserver.service if it exists 
Removed previous Roon test script