IGNORED

GentooPlayer

18 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

yes, now the default enabled uses for mpd are these:

image.thumb.png.5ada9bf991a608580f2a4ccb37aa3910.png

Is curl enabled in the mpd configuration file?

input {
	plugin			"curl"
	enabled			"yes"
}

I had to do it by default but it escaped me ..

yes, the door is that. At least the first time must start not with the system in ram ... and the wen page does not open very quickly, loads various libraries java ...

I remove the portage files before creating the image, to reduce the space ...

to use those commands you should first do a sync with the gentoo repo ...

emerge-wersync

Thank!!!

Ok so, the "enabled "yes" was not inside the mpd.conf. Just added it and will try. I will let you know for bubbleupnpserver access and yes "emerge-webrsync" help 🙂

2019-01-03 Error 2.jpg

On 1/2/2019 at 6:21 PM, antonellocaroli said:

if you can even try the version systemd would make me a pleasure, and maybe give me your impressions, I would like to bring forward only one, or systemd or openRC ....

Today I tried both GentooPlay64 versions: the systemd and OpenRC ones. Apart from the init system the installations are the same with alsa 1.0.29, mpd and upmpdcli (for now without ramsystem).

Comparing sound quality, the results are close together, but I do prefer the sound of the systemd version. It is more relaxed, more open (less compressed) and has tighter bass. The difference is subtle but noticeable and important for long listening.

Question:

@antonellocaroli 

Systemd is known as a bloated (big) system, and OpenRC as a lean (minimal) system. So why is the GP64 systemd image (1.3GB) smaller than the OpenRC one (2GB) ?

audio system

2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Today I tried both GentooPlay64 versions: the systemd and OpenRC ones. Apart from the init system the installations are the same with alsa 1.0.29, mpd and upmpdcli (for now without ramsystem).

Comparing sound quality, the results are close together, but I do prefer the sound of the systemd version. It is more relaxed, more open (less compressed) and has tighter bass. The difference is subtle but noticeable and important for long listening.

Thanks for the info bodiebill!!!

Question:

@antonellocaroli 

Systemd is known as a bloated (big) system, and OpenRC as a lean (minimal) system. So why is the GP64 systemd image (1.3GB) smaller than the OpenRC one (2GB) ?

that may also depend on how much free space I left in the image and the compression factor ....

hi Antonello,

I see that you added upmpdcli and and an indication whether the system runs in RAM. That is great!

After using gp-update, both the systemd and openRC versions seem to work well in ramdisk mode, in spite of a few upmpdcli error messages that I do not understand. Is gp-update sufficient, or is it better to download the new images?

In ramsystem mode the two versions come closer in SQ but I still have a preference for systemd, especially with higher close harmony voices. It sounds cleaner.

Thanks again!

audio system

Hi

Been playing around with GentooPlayer for almost 10 hours using the systemd version like bodiebill.

Tried ramsystem and tried the different kernels. Never tried audiolinux but the gentooplayer is really nice.

For me when running in RamSystem mode the sound quality is really really good, and I prefer this mode.

Unplugged my Usb-Key and it just works, using squeezelite-R2.

There is a tons of stuff to tweak, but out of box it really deliver. I need to do more testing, but until now I'll

stay with GentooPlayer that's for sure.

PS! The only bug/feature I got when I first started up in dhcpd mode, I haven't no internet, due to some wrong

settings in /etc/resolv.conf , a echo "nameserver  mynameserver" > /etc/resolv.conf and I was happy again 🙂

Keep up the good work, this is really something to be proud of.

Best Michael

21 minutes ago, michaelvv said:

Hi

Been playing around with GentooPlayer for almost 10 hours using the systemd version like bodiebill.

Tried ramsystem and tried the different kernels. Never tried audiolinux but the gentooplayer is really nice.

For me when running in RamSystem mode the sound quality is really really good, and I prefer this mode.

Unplugged my Usb-Key and it just works, using squeezelite-R2.

There is a tons of stuff to tweak, but out of box it really deliver. I need to do more testing, but until now I'll

stay with GentooPlayer that's for sure.

PS! The only bug/feature I got when I first started up in dhcpd mode, I haven't no internet, due to some wrong

settings in /etc/resolv.conf , a echo "nameserver  mynameserver" > /etc/resolv.conf and I was happy again 🙂

Keep up the good work, this is really something to be proud of.

Best Michael

Thanks!!!

52 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

hi Antonello,

I see that you added upmpdcli and and an indication whether the system runs in RAM. That is great!

After using gp-update, both the systemd and openRC versions seem to work well in ramdisk mode, in spite of a few upmpdcli error messages that I do not understand. Is gp-update sufficient, or is it better to download the new images?

In ramsystem mode the two versions come closer in SQ but I still have a preference for systemd, especially with higher close harmony voices. It sounds cleaner.

Thanks again!

I'm changing a bit all the images ... I should solve a bit of things ....

if you can post me the mistakes you see ....

It seems Italy is the source of a lot of good audio software and support forums like NextHardware.  I've been aware of very useful posts from @bibo01 about HQPlayer for quite a while, but I just got started with AudioLinux recently.

Can someone explain the differences and relative merits of GentooPlayer vs AudioLinux?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Hello , in a little more words.

Since the dawn of slim devices and after the born of Triode sqeezelite software, I have had

6 SBC and several different PC's and tried a tons of different software for linux.

I recently read the thread here about NUC and AudioLinux and the fact it could run entirely

in RAM was very interesting.

I then followed the guide (Linux in RAM) by bodiebill and it took med 3-4 hours and then I was able

to boot Arch Linux in RAM with RamRoot. Playing around with it I could see I needed a lot of stuff regards

optimization and It take time, a lot of time.

I was then directed to GentooPlayer ( bodiebill ) and though I haven't tried gentoo before, I have experience

with centos, debian, arch so I'll give it a try.

My requirements are mainly squeezelite, have used it from the very first time, so it was just easy to set it up, and then

I could start playing. It took a little more time with ramsystem ( Boot into Ram ) and then I was sold.

I can use a lot of different kernels, play around with RT and it's quite easy, for me it was to switch from the italian language

to english ( I'm from Denmark ) with actually was the hardest part 🙂

For me it's not about saving 49 Euro , but be able to follow a so fine project with a great level of robustness and a lot

of features. A lot of community efforts dies mainly because of lack of interest , an this is really a shame.

I hope for Antonello that the happiness all his effort brings me are a little motivation to keep up the good work. If I could

help with something I don't know what his goal is, I will gladly do It for absolutely free.

Hello, 

Could you please help to mount a nfs path.

I tried to mount it manually but it doesn't work. Tried to compile with no luck (ie emerge --ask net-fs/nfs-utils)

I tried the menu but only found cifs unless I missed something

image.thumb.png.6aa8ff5ffe9965d62fb613dfaa2e6cc1.png

Thanks

join the resistance

32 minutes ago, michaelvv said:

I hope for Antonello that the happiness all his effort brings me are a little motivation to keep up the good work. If I could

help with something I don't know what his goal is, I will gladly do It for absolutely free.

I wholeheartedly agree with michaelvv and would also be happy to assist with testing and translating!

Just installed the BIOS/systemd version of GP64 on a new usb flash drive. When trying to activate upmpdcli I noticed that none of the commands for upmpdcli in the players-commands section work. For instance upmrestart gives: "Failed to restart upmpdcli.service: Unit upmpdcli.service not found." Work in progress?

audio system

Hi Again.

I have started to put some of my own software ( web based ) on top on gentooplayer. I have a performance logger

which runs from cron every minute to collect some stat from the linux OS.

Graphics look like shit, I have only tried chartjs for 2 days so watch out your eyes 🙂

I have installed php , cronie ( can't remember ) and php-fpm and nginx. When it runs in the background it has absolute

no impact on the sound quality.

My system is almost doing nothing.

System_Setup.png

idle_time.png

Received_bytes.png

2 hours ago, Gordian said:

Hello, 

Could you please help to mount a nfs path.

I tried to mount it manually but it doesn't work. Tried to compile with no luck (ie emerge --ask net-fs/nfs-utils)

I tried the menu but only found cifs unless I missed something

Thanks

no, in the menu there is not

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Nfs-utils

Tried to compile with no luck (ie emerge --ask net-fs/nfs-utils)

why without success? what does he say to you?

image.thumb.png.ff73ea780c3aef0ac95b1a1d9a94541d.png

Hi Antonello.

Any kind of explanation to the different kernels. ??

rt - properly RealTime

pf4 - ????

GP - ????

MIN - ????

ST - ????

AU - ????

From this list.

0   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-GP-ST-AU
1   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-GP-ST
2   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-MIN-GP1
3   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-MIN-GP1-1
4   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-MIN-GP1-2
5   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-MIN-GP1-3
6   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-MIN-GP1-4
7   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-MIN-GP2-MOD
8   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.13.0-pf4-GP-ST-AU
9   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.13.0-pf4-GP-ST

14 minutes ago, michaelvv said:

Hi Antonello.

Any kind of explanation to the different kernels. ??

rt - properly RealTime

pf4 - ????

GP - ????

MIN - ????

ST - ????

AU - ????

From this list.

0   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-GP-ST-AU
1   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-GP-ST
2   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-MIN-GP1
3   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-MIN-GP1-1
4   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-MIN-GP1-2
5   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-MIN-GP1-3
6   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-MIN-GP1-4
7   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.19.5-rt-rt4-MIN-GP2-MOD
8   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.13.0-pf4-GP-ST-AU
9   GentooPlayer GNU/Linux, con Linux x86_64-4.13.0-pf4-GP-ST

0,1 - they are RT-kernels compiled with a standard configuration, they have almost everything...they are kernels compiled with a standard configuration, they have almost everything, with some personal modifications

2-7 - RT-Kernel compiled minimally (no wi-fi mo bloothoot, no much else), are various configurations

8-9 - PF-Kernel https://gitlab.com/post-factum/pf-kernel/wikis/README

I called the abbreviations to connect them to the configuration files I used ...

Hi Antonello.

I can see that a lot of errors are due to not resizing usbkey etc etc. I can start a todo quick guide

which I can try to maintain. 🙂

This could free you from answering the same questions again and again

and do more important thing like "coding" on the project. If I do it for the 86_64 systemd then if we're

lucky another one can do it for Rasp PI.

As I say before if more of us can help the project could reach out more people, which would be more fun...

4 hours ago, michaelvv said:

Hi Antonello.

I can see that a lot of errors are due to not resizing usbkey etc etc. I can start a todo quick guide

which I can try to maintain. 🙂

This could free you from answering the same questions again and again

and do more important thing like "coding" on the project. If I do it for the 86_64 systemd then if we're

lucky another one can do it for Rasp PI.

As I say before if more of us can help the project could reach out more people, which would be more fun...

Quick and dirty up and running manual, It has some spelling errors but I have run it through twice.

gentoo_player_manual.pdf

10 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

no, in the menu there is not

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Nfs-utils

why without success? what does he say to you?

image.thumb.png.ff73ea780c3aef0ac95b1a1d9a94541d.png

Hi, 

While I was trying to connect my nfs folder, I succeeded in connecting a cifs folder with the ad hoc option via gp-menu.

Now that my NFS folder is ok I'd like to remove the automated cifs connexion but I'm unable to find where is the line to remove, I can't find it in fstab file !

Can anyone help ?

Aside from that, my audioserver is now running on gentooplayer. As the streamer which is also on gentoo , it makes a wonderful job. Clearly better than everything else (fedora, arch, ubuntu, ..). At least for me.

Thanks

join the resistance

18 hours ago, rickca said:

It seems Italy is the source of a lot of good audio software and support forums like NextHardware.  I've been aware of very useful posts from @bibo01 about HQPlayer for quite a while, but I just got started with AudioLinux recently.

Can someone explain the differences and relative merits of GentooPlayer vs AudioLinux?

NextHardware, more specifically the cMP2 forum I personally setup years ago, is a good site because there are various developers (Piero/AudioLinux, GentooPlayer/antonello, Squeezelite-R2/Marco) and a community interested in developing new, SOTA hardware/software solutions. We at NextHardware help each other for example, as a reseller, I offer HQPlayer Desktop purchase at a discount with no personal gain. 

Differences between AL (which I originally reviewed years ago) and GP are getting less and less. Mainly Piero of AL offers top support at a minimal cost. 

GP is younger (it has started development more recently) and is an OS tailor made to your own hardware, so process/services can be reduced to bare essential.  

12 hours ago, Gordian said:

Hi, 

While I was trying to connect my nfs folder, I succeeded in connecting a cifs folder with the ad hoc option via gp-menu.

Now that my NFS folder is ok I'd like to remove the automated cifs connexion but I'm unable to find where is the line to remove, I can't find it in fstab file !

Can anyone help ?

Aside from that, my audioserver is now running on gentooplayer. As the streamer which is also on gentoo , it makes a wonderful job. Clearly better than everything else (fedora, arch, ubuntu, ..). At least for me.

Thanks

sorry, but I could not post this ...

the message that has me problems I'll post it as an image ... I would not ...

image.thumb.png.0d4980c9b9512ee115a5aa531d855689.png