IGNORED

GentooPlayer

1 hour ago, Patatorz said:

Just for your information, i tried to run in RAM the distribution with only roonbridge. I select to copy to ram but when i try to reboot, impossible to login in ssh even after 10 minutes. So perhaps it requests more time to load into ram ( :- ) ) or it does not work. Somebody else have this problem ?

on rpi? I realized that there is an error in the script, I will have to correct it ...the loading in ram must take place in maximum 1 min 1,30 min

thanks for the report

ust finished few tests with UPnP. I use minimserver as server with transcoding flac and dsd to wave. In this case i have a strong noise (no music). If i remove the transcoding from minimserver, i can listen to flac without any problem. I tried on another system (dCS network Bridge renderer) and no problem with the transcoding to wave. I will open a ticket in upmpdcli.

I'm trying also in a couple of minutes the connection to qobuz with UPMPDCLI

do you think it depends on the version of upmpdcli?

How to upgrade UPMPDCLI to the latest version (1.3.8) ?

the latest version available for gentoo is 1.3.6, but I can try to do an ebuild for version 1.3.8 ... I try

Hello Antonello,

i solved my problem with the fact that the transcoding to wave was not working. In fact the MPD version installed is not taking into account some formats like wave, AIFF etc...

To add i used the following command :

USE="audiofile" emerge --ask media-sound/mpd

Now it works like a charm with transcoding to wave and for sure aiff and wave files

19 minutes ago, Patatorz said:

Hello Antonello,

i solved my problem with the fact that the transcoding to wave was not working. In fact the MPD version installed is not taking into account some formats like wave, AIFF etc...

To add i used the following command :

Now it works like a charm with transcoding to wave and for sure aiff and wave files

great!! I see you know how the compilation of the software works!

if you want to know which flag you can activate for a software you can give the command, example:

equery uses mpd

you can add the ones you want to activate in the file

/etc/portage/package.use/audio

nano /etc/portage/package.use/audio

in the meantime I'm going crazy with the ramdisk at boot that on the rpi makes me a problem ...

I have been trying the last days to make ramsystem (ramdisk) work with GentooPlayer. First I tried with an 8GB usb flash drive, but while performing ramsystem I got this error message "write error: no space left on device". So I tried with a 16GB drive, but again I got this same message. See screenshot.

Maybe by device is meant: the RAM device?

However, I use a 64bit pc with 8GB RAM of which more than 6.5GB is available according to free -m.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

20190102_140152.jpg

audio system

46 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

I have been trying the last days to make ramsystem (ramdisk) work with GentooPlayer. First I tried with an 8GB usb flash drive, but while performing ramsystem I got this error message "write error: no space left on device". So I tried with a 16GB drive, but again I got this same message. See screenshot.

Maybe by device is meant: the RAM device?

However, I use a 64bit pc with 8GB RAM of which more than 6.5GB is available according to free -m.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

20190102_140152.jpg

Hi, Thanks for the report ...
are you trying with the xfce version?

48 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

mhhh, strange....4 GB should suffice...

version systemd or openr-RC

can you post me the result of the command df -h and du -sh /*

Thanks!

My bad, I apologize! I forgot to resize /dev/sda3 on the new stick. After doing so, ramsystem completes without error message!

How can I see that it is actually running in RAM?

free -m

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           7840          99        6562        1141        1178        6521

cat /proc/meminfo

MemTotal:        8028844 kB
MemFree:         6719600 kB
MemAvailable:    6677860 kB
Buffers:             496 kB
Cached:          1176156 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:            17548 kB
Inactive:        1165852 kB
Active(anon):      10104 kB
Inactive(anon):  1165340 kB
Active(file):       7444 kB
Inactive(file):      512 kB

(etc.)

PS I use the openRC version.

audio system

1 hour ago, bodiebill said:

My bad, I apologize! I forgot to resize /dev/sda3 on the new stick. After doing so, ramsystem completes without error message!

How can I see that it is actually running in RAM?

free -m

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           7840          99        6562        1141        1178        6521

cat /proc/meminfo

MemTotal:        8028844 kB
MemFree:         6719600 kB
MemAvailable:    6677860 kB
Buffers:             496 kB
Cached:          1176156 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:            17548 kB
Inactive:        1165852 kB
Active(anon):      10104 kB
Inactive(anon):  1165340 kB
Active(file):       7444 kB
Inactive(file):      512 kB

(etc.)

PS I use the openRC version.

if the script did not give errors the system is in ram ...
but if you want a counter check remove the usb stick ...
but before doing so, restart the system in normal mode, give the command gp-update (update the scripts, I changed something) ... and then try ...

if you can even try the version systemd would make me a pleasure, and maybe give me your impressions, I would like to bring forward only one, or systemd or openRC ....

with systemd it can happen that it does not work internet, sometimes it can not solve the host, if it happens just give the following commands

ln -snf /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
systemctl enable systemd-resolved.service
systemctl start systemd-resolved.service

Thanks!

2 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

if the script did not give errors the system is in ram ...
but if you want a counter check remove the usb stick ...
but before doing so, restart the system in normal mode, give the command gp-update (update the scripts, I changed something) ... and then try ...

if you can even try the version systemd would make me a pleasure, and maybe give me your impressions, I would like to bring forward only one, or systemd or openRC ....

with systemd it can happen that it does not work internet, sometimes it can not solve the host, if it happens just give the following commands

ln -snf /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
systemctl enable systemd-resolved.service
systemctl start systemd-resolved.service

Thanks!

Thanks Antonello.

I tried with the systemd version, but I got stuck:

gp-update does not work as there is no internet.

Actually, the normal GP menu items such as cpu-info, system-commands etc. do not work. I get errors like:

-bash: /gentooplayer/DietPi/dietpi/dietpi-cpuinfo: File o directory non esistente

And when I try

ln  -snf /run/systemd/resolve /resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

I get:

-bash: ln : comando non trovato

And I cannot install the ln package as there is no internet.

Chicken or egg situation? Can you please advise?

audio system

gp-update does not work as there is no internet.

Actually, the normal GP menu items such as cpu-info, system-commands etc. do not work. I get errors like:

-bash: /gentooplayer/DietPi/dietpi/dietpi-cpuinfo: File o directory non esistente

it's a problem I know, without internet connection gp-update delete the script directory ... I've solved it but in the image there's still the old script, sorry

to restore it (after you have internet connection):

cd /tmp
git clone 'https://github.com/antonellocaroli/script64_eng_systemd.git'
mv script64_eng_systemd/gentooplayer/bashrc /etc/bash/bashrc
mv script64_eng_systemd/gentooplayer/ /
rm -rf script64_eng_systemd
chmod -R +x /gentooplayer/*
source /etc/profile

And when I try

ln  -snf /run/systemd/resolve /resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

I get:

-bash: ln : comando non trovato

have you resized sda3?

sure that the syntax is right?

image.thumb.png.7f8f407e827e29dd1cf911b7f21571be.png

24 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

have you resized sda3?

sure that the syntax is right?

image.thumb.png.7f8f407e827e29dd1cf911b7f21571be.png

yes, sda3 was resized

I retyped the above 3 lines (ln -snf /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf etc.) manually, and now I have internet again.

Later this week I will let you know how the systemd version is working out for me...

Thanks for your patience!

audio system

I updated the image of the rpi, fixed the problem of ramdisk at boot (I hope :)), added upmpdcli and BubbleUpnp and recompiled mpd.

Now when the system is in ram it indicates it in the home with a green writing in the upper left ...

image.thumb.png.606f1b482f0c3f7598733834460a3fb5.png

https://www.nexthardware.com/forum/pc-top-software/90075-gentooplayer-immagini-x86_64-raspberry-pi-3b-3b-allo-sparkyusbbridge-beaglebone-black-botic-driver-49.html#post992288

Just installed it without any problem. But with this version i'm still not able to play wav/aif files with MPD/UPMPDCLI.

I checked and it seems you installed "audiofile" plugin for MPD (i suppose through the command below).

Launching this command leads to the messages in attached file

I have no problem at tall with flac files. Any clue from your side ?

Concerning Bubbleupnp, i thought you installed BubbleUpnPserver that should be accessible from IP:58050 but cannot access.

Little trick : if you want to customize the name of the renderer in upmpdcli you can edit the following file and change the "firendlyname" by the name you want.

nano /etc/upmpdcli.conf

2019-01-03 Error 1.jpg

Just discover this, look promising, what is the root password??

Thanks

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

Yes great on Metrum Ambre. Password is « raspiroot » for RPi version

Thanks

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

Just installed it without any problem. But with this version i'm still not able to play wav/aif files with MPD/UPMPDCLI.

I checked and it seems you installed "audiofile" plugin for MPD (i suppose through the command below).

yes, now the default enabled uses for mpd are these:

image.thumb.png.5ada9bf991a608580f2a4ccb37aa3910.png

Is curl enabled in the mpd configuration file?

input {
	plugin			"curl"
	enabled			"yes"
}

I had to do it by default but it escaped me ..

Concerning Bubbleupnp, i thought you installed BubbleUpnPserver that should be accessible from IP:58050 but cannot access.

yes, the door is that. At least the first time must start not with the system in ram ... and the wen page does not open very quickly, loads various libraries java ...

Launching this command leads to the messages in attached file

I remove the portage files before creating the image, to reduce the space ...

to use those commands you should first do a sync with the gentoo repo ...

emerge-wersync

Thank!!!

hi Antonello,

I have been trying the systemd version of GentooPlayer64, After installing upmpdcli I am able to send DSD256 files from Audirvana+ (on a Windows pc) to GentooPlayer and make music.

Actually, I have a preference for systemd above OpenRc, but that is probably because I am more used to systemd's commands.

On the other hand:

The keyboard layout seems to be different. For instance, when I want to type a hyphen (-) I get an apostrophe (').

The first time I tried to use ramsystem I got all sorts of errors (journal not found, and tasks taking too long).

The second time (after a reboot) it looked better and I only got this message:

mpd       4809  0.0  0.1 500700 12924 ?        Ssl  21:14   0:00 /usr/bin/mpd --no-daemon

Mpd is active, but in both cases upmpdcli did not work anymore after copying to RAM, and I get:

# systemctl status upmpdcli
   upmpdcli.service - UPnP Renderer front-end to MPD
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/upmpdcli.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2019-01-03 21:31:35 UTC; 11s ago
  Process: 5331 ExecStart=/usr/bin/upmpdcli -c /etc/upmpdcli.conf (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 5331 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Looking forward to the next image of GP64 with upmpdcli that hopefully solves this!?

Thanks for this really promising project, and just let me know if you need more information.

audio system

Hi bodiebill, Thanks!

The keyboard layout seems to be different. For instance, when I want to type a hyphen (-) I get an apostrophe (').

It is set to Italian ;)

to change:

ex.

EN

localectl set-locale LANG=en_US.utf8

localectl set-keymap us

localectl set-x11-keymap us

FR

localectl set-locale LANG=fr_FR.utf8

localectl set-keymap fr

localectl set-x11-keymap fr

etc...

The second time (after a reboot) it looked better and I only got this message:

mpd       4809  0.0  0.1 500700 12924 ?        Ssl  21:14   0:00 /usr/bin/mpd --no-daemon

it is expected, makes a check of the active audio demons and does the restart

Mpd is active, but in both cases upmpdcli did not work anymore after copying to RAM, and I get:

when I had prepared the image I had not expected upmpdcli .... I will solve in the next image

Looking forward to the next image of GP64 with upmpdcli that hopefully solves this!?

I'm finishing the other two arm architectures and then I'm going to x64 ...

if there are other problems let me know, thanks