IGNORED

Is It Time For Moderators?

Is it time for moderators in the forum?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for moderators in the forum?

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Was this thread a test perchance?

I'm worried were failing if so. Or should that be ipso facto ?

? We should have a LMAO button along with Upvote, Like and Off Topic.

Is perchance a $10 word? If not, it must be at least $8.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

8 minutes ago, rickca said:

It looks like we need moderator intervention in this thread.  Ironic.

Considering that our only moderator is participating, I assume he does not see a need to moderate. Censoring this mild thread would be heavy-handed IMO. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

The strength of CA is that a number of electronics engineers, manf. consultants, etc., scientists, recording engineers, and industry professionals (real professionals, not PR people) post here.

If that is your main interest, there are other sites with more industry pros and deeper technical discussions, e.g. DIYAudio, Hydrogen Audio, probably others. You would be quite at home at Audio Science Review, where you could join them in sneering at audiophiles.

Equating subjectivism with liberal art majors is stereotyping and needs to stop. I am only one of many who do not fit the stereotype.

PS Anyone who thinks this thread is too rough should not be a moderator, IMO. 

stereotypenoun [ C ] 
UK  /ˈster.i.ə.taɪp/ US  /ˈster.i.ə.taɪp/ disapproving
a set idea that people have about what someone or something is like, especially an idea that is wrong

15 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Yes, assuming you are trying to understand how it works. There are also folks who simply want recommendations on how to achieve better sound. 

Defining "how it works" is the issue. What is the goal? Do we want audio equipment because the measurements are pristine, or because the sound is pristine? I believe that is the fundamental divide between objective and subjective.

There was a fellow on another forum who recommend Chromecast Audio as a DAC, because Audio Science Review said its measurements were great, better than a Yggdrasil. I don't have a Yggy, but I have CCA, and it sounds pretty bad, forget the measurements.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

You shouldn't equate "how it works" with a blind faith in (limited) measurements.

Both listening and measurements are observations.

But offtopic for the issues of moderation ... sorry

Listening is a useless measure according to objectivists here, unless it is conducted blind and with statistical analysis. I am interested in technical specs, but listening is more important to me. 

I disagree that this subject is off topic, because 99% of the arguments and hard feelings on this board are due to objectivist vs. subjectivist, listening vs. measurement. It is certainly closer to topic than a discussion of Harry Pearson's TAS.

Here goes my off-topic contribution; American stereo magazines and TAS in particular were clueless about great sound in the 70's and 80's. Brit mags set the standard (Hi-Fi News, Hi-Fi World, Hi-Fi Choice, Hi-Fi+, not What Hi-Fi.)

13 minutes ago, wgscott said:

That is not a fair or accurate characterization.

Listening is a useless measure according to most objectivists here, unless it is conducted blind and with statistical analysis.

Happy now?

44 minutes ago, vmartell22 said:

But of course,  it is only the opinion of Chris that matters...

So who was censored?

0 warning points

No restrictions being applied

I feel like I'm underachieving. 😃