IGNORED

It *cannot* just be about 1's and 0's - surely?

Mazza

51 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

are you measuring the volume with a volt meter at the speaker terminals?

you mentioned a mic, but try the above

This plus 5 million.

Get a voltmeter and see what is happening at the speaker terminals.  What you are claiming is INcredible.  I'm not questioning your motives or honesty, just that your method of measurement isn't a very good way to check this.  For the money involved in all these cables order some okay multi-meter for cheap on Amazon ($40).  It'll be useful at other times in your audio adventures. 

Or maybe you know someone with a basic multi-meter that could measure the voltages. 

Are you laying your phone in one location and changing cables without moving the phone at all and checking this? If you are hand holding it then all bets are off.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, Mazza said:

Thanks @crenca, yes you are correct. No speaker terminals. So I used a Behringer mic on tripod, REW software to measure. Test tones played off a file on server. 

USB cable connects to digital controller of the Kiis. This connects to the two speakers by cat 5 cable. 

@esldude: don’t use phone for measurements. No options for test meter etc etc because no speaker terminals

Okay, I missed where you said it was Behringer measurement mic.  And didn't realize it was the Kii speakers. 

I'd suggest as someone else has that you try a plain USB cable and see which version it matches up with on sound level. 

It wouldn't be beyond AQ to have a little circuitry to boost volume so their cable 'sounds' better.  In which case it is just about the ones and zeroes.  Would be nice if you knew someone with a recording interface that could record the digital signal coming out of the AQ cable and a plain one. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

5 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

There is no harmonic structure or any dynamics. The USB cable is passing DATA. The USB cable has no way of knowing what the data represents; it could be e-mail messages, video, 3-D rendering, anything! The fact that it is audio should be totally irrelevant. That's what makes this so damn puzzling. If the USB cable is changing the audio, it means it's changing the data and it can't, It's just a pair of wires in a sheath with two other wires carrying a nominal five volts. 

Except in this case George there is a big electronic box on it.  Larger than some portable DACs like the Dragonfly.  Would be easy to have some chips that provide a digital boost to the data making it 2 db louder.  So in this case maybe it isn't just two power wires and two differential data wires. 

2 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

It could be anything. I know what AQ says is in it; a 72v battery to "bias" the shield, but who knows? After all, as you point out, they pack a decent sounding USB DAC into a package that is about the same size as a "thumb drive" memory stick! It could easily have a circuit that acts to re-clock the digital volume by +2 dB, although I'd hate to think that they would do that. 

I'd think it is something they would do.  I'd like for someone to test it and see if that is what is going on. 

5 minutes ago, elcorso said:

Less noise = more music reaching the ears / brain system?

I do not know if it will be an additional 2dB of loudness, I do not do these kind of measurements, but I do know the noise that the USB cables emit (to the near environment), particularly USB 3.00

The above regarding the Lush ^ 2 USB cable shielding.

Roch

I know if it will be an additional 2 db of loudness from noise reduction.  The answer is no it will not. 

Plus you are thinking about it wrong.  Less noise would actually measure as less signal even if it somehow sounded more clear.  The OP is saying it sounds louder, and measures louder.  That isn't from less noise. 

3 minutes ago, elcorso said:

Your brain can fool you by making it look like loudness ...

Not mine (now). I just feel the music more clearly now, but at the beginning I got confused too !

Roch

So did the Behringer measurement mic get confused?

45 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I agree it can't change the data... but the clocking of that data seems to be the fail part of USB . I do find it interesting that Audiolinux  makes an ISO Regen reclocker not necessary on the same devices where other OS's did need its help.

This makes little sense.  A strength of USB input is the clock right next to the DAC gets used.  That clock is also freely running (the best most accurate way) without being timed to anything else.  While poor implementation could let noise across the USB effect that clock somewhat, the whole idea has been wildly  over-blown compared to issues with almost any other connection method (all of which slave a local clock to another one).  

1 minute ago, gmgraves said:

Nothing wrong with Behringer mikes. I have a number of them that come in-handy for vocals, choruses, spot mikes and the like. 

My comment was not to disparage the Behringer mikes.  It was about a comment that our ears get confused hearing less noise as louder.  My point being so since the mikes measured it louder did they get confused as well?

2 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Good question. Glad somebody thought of it. Another thing just occurred to me as well. If the AQ cable did have circuitry in it that re-clocked the digital bit stream to boot the level by 2 dB, what powers it? That 72 Volt battery? Digital circuits don't need, (nor can they abide) 72 volt power supplies. Even if they did "siphon off" a few vilts to power some digital circuitry, while the rest was shield "bias", that battery couldn't and wouldn't possibly last as long as AQ says it will (according to the "bias" theory, the battery is not actually being drained it just provides a static field on the shield (permit me to be skeptical here) and therefore will last for the shelf-life of the battery). That can't be if there is active circuitry on board. ???!!!!

They'd be using the voltages in USB which power USB DACs or extenders or any number of devices.  It is right there for that use.  No need to touch the 72 volt battery.