IGNORED

Massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming?

Well, the AudioLinux guy has no answers as to why his Linux sounds better:

“It is the low processor latency? It is the linux audio driver? Is the direct connection without mixer to output? Is loading the system to ram? Do I have a full explanation for that? No, maybe a deep study (with measures) of what's happening in the connection with DAC could give more light to the problem.”

No wonder you can’t ask real questions in that other thread where all the claims are made. 

23 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Well given that much of this hobby is wringing out the final 10% or less of musicality, these things do matter.  I reported years ago that in slimming Mac OS X (Mavericks), I could hear a subtle but worthwhile improvement with every 10 active background processes I was able to kill.  And once done (down to 78 active processes), I could boot that from the SD card versus a stock OS (about 350 processes) from the HD, and even visiting non audiophiles could immediately hear the difference.

Fine. But when you are using a server to feed an endpoint via Ethernet, that shouldn’t matter. Don’t forget that these guys are trying to say that a low latency OS general computer (NUC) with noisy USB and lousy clocks sounds better than a purpose built computer with quiet USB and excellent clocks (ultraRendu).

That would suggest that USB noise and clocks don’t matter. Are willing to promote that? Because your products would become useless if that were the case. 

19 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

think about the "other" thread...they were all salivating over SOTM for what seemed years, now all of a sudden a $30 stripped down linux os beats it....What exactly was running on SOny bluray players allowing DSD streaming over dlna?  I bought and used a used one for $40 for years   I am not sure what is different between a $30 stripped down linux solution (that beats a $1000 SOTM), but my guess is it is not much different than what is running on those 8 year old sony bluray players that supported DSD and DLNA?.....oh yea, now i remember the differnce...an interface dedicated to a  paid subscription to roon.

hoopla around dacs, and now hoopla around streamers....

More to be gained listening to MISKA inre upsampling and buying a good high-current amp.

What are you talking about? Please don’t ruin this thread. 

The purpose of this thread is to objectively discuss the ideas presented in that other thread as that other thread does not allow that. If you are not fawning over the ideas presented there, you will be censored and asked to stop posting.

New ideas could be floated in this thread but that is not its purpose. 

17 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

For some counter weight :

This has coincidentally been the only thing with sense I read in this whole thread. Otherwise this thread aims for us to abandon computer audio.

Comments on that ?

If only that poster’s comment were all like that.....

Abandon computer audio? What are you reading? Because no where in this thread has there been a suggestion to abandon computer audio. In fact, my setup is sounding so good I have no desire to go back to analog. 

@Em2016 @Jud I am just pointing out that Peter has a set of products and to expect him to be biased toward them. Peter is never wrong and is the only person with valid answers. 

@PeterSt I am not try to stop any on point conversation. You style is to come in and invalidate threads with your idea of what they are about. You are wrong here about that but I am sure you will tell me how you are right. Do your products support endpoints or do they expect a direct connection to the DAC?

1 minute ago, PeterSt said:

Additionally you can't digest the answers, might they be there.

Btw, this is how I operate.

Digest the answers? I asked the makers of the miracle OS and they had no answers. 

You operate by telling people you are right and they are wrong. All of your products are the best ever. You say that on your web site. 

2 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

See ?

But oh dear, what would have happened when that guy would have had similar answers to mine. Can't be about vested interests. But you would have made up something. You can do it !

Either contribute to the discussion or go away. And I mean discussion...that does not you dictating that you have all the answers and we just can’t understand them. 

Just now, lmitche said:

This is a judgement and highly debatable.

You are kidding about the voltmeter, right? Ha ha.

You do realize that any change in endpoint that requires lowering the volume by 4dB would mean that the signal was altered negatively. In other words, the signal was harsher in some way which would imply added distortion of some type somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

So this is where we may have a differing experience.  I've been increasing my volume up for a more positive experience with no debilitating effect.  I haven't A/B'd the db level however.  That sounds like a worthwhile effort.

When sound quality is improved, you can listen the music at the same sound pressure with less fatigue or at a higher sound pressure with the same fatigue. Any time I have had to lower sound pressure it because something has gone wrong with the sound quality.

Just now, lmitche said:

Again highly debatable. The signal is altered for sure, but why negativey? What I hear is much more accurate, with increased clarity and more enjoyable.

Goodbye diecaster, sorry for posting in your thread.

More accurate but requires lowering the volume by 4dB? Real increases in clarity almost always results in thinking the signal is quieter, not the other way around around.

Just now, Johnseye said:

Ok, re-read what you quoted from me and your comment.  Let me know if you need clarification.

I have read it a few times and I am still unsure of what you are saying. I have no idea what this really means:

"...this is where we may have a differing experience"

Who is we? Are you and I having a differing experience from each other or are you and sharing the same experience which is different from others?