IGNORED

Massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming?

14 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

''AudioLinux is based on realtime custom kernels and on the work of that part of linux community trying to achieve very low audio and processor latencies.''

See here: www.audio-linux.com

Again, latency of what? From which event to what action?

29 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

Realtime Processor latency tests were carried out using an Osciliscope test in Linux as well as others and compared with DPC latency tester in Windows. It's detailed on their website if of interest.

So what latency did they measure, and what is the relevance to audio playback?

7 hours ago, nbpf said:

In this context, latency typically dentoes the time it takes for a process to react to an interrupt signal.

I know that. The question was which interrupt, and what must the software do in response? What is the deadline, and how was it calculated? Unless those questions are answered, simply claiming "lower latency" is meaningless.

3 minutes ago, greenleo said:

Sorry, I don't get you.  The code is executed in the CPU.  In principle, the code can be residing totally in the cache, just think of the Win 3.1 that runs only 4MB RAM 25 years ago and nowadays the cache can be more than 8MB.

RAM is the storage, hence the virtual memory using HDD as the RAM.  The keypoint of the RAM OS, I believe, is no more reading from the local storage.  I/O reduced and then noises reduced.

The CPU fetches instructions from RAM (or cache if present there). The same goes for data. The kernel loads any required code or data into RAM and keeps it there until the pages are required for something else, which only happens if the whole system doesn't fit in RAM. In that case, pre-loading it all wouldn't be possible either.

3 minutes ago, greenleo said:

I agree with these in general.  If the size of data is ever increasing then pre-loading is impossible.  However, if a track is playing repeatedly or an album is played repeatedly, pre-loading them into the RAM is not impossible.

I thought we were talking about the software (OS and applications), not music files. Obviously, the entire music library won't fit in RAM.

6 minutes ago, nbpf said:

All I can say is that I have played around with a real-time kernel for Raspbian last week. The effects on minimal, average and maximal latencies as measured by cyclictest are very obvious and can be reproduced both on an idling system and on a system that transcodes 24bit/192kHz files.

I don't doubt that. What's missing is any relevance whatsoever for audio playback.

6 minutes ago, nbpf said:

As mentioned there, I have not found the reported latency differences to have an obvious impact on the sound quality of my system.

I don't doubt that either.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

I think it’s possible that in a high noise environment, there might be dropped bits across a USB interface which might not error check.

There is no such thing as dropped bits. The USB checksum is guaranteed to detect any 2-bit error in a packet. Isochronous mode does not resend bad packets, but they are detected. Besides, it is trivial to transfer a few hours of music over USB and verify that no errors occurred.

10 hours ago, jabbr said:

Do you have a DAC that indicates when a USB packet fails checksum, or another technique to measure the error rate using Isosynchronous mode? Software program — I’m sure people would like to test their USB connections if they could do this at home.

I have done such tests by sending random data to a USB-S/PDIF converter and capturing it's output with another USB device. By comparing the captured data to the transmitted, it is then trivial to detect if any errors occurred and, if so, what the receiver did with them.