IGNORED

Question about earphones

Guest Thornae

Question

Hi,

I have a question to everybody who is an audio expert and loves to listen to music. I place this question on this forum about computers because all the other forums about strictly audio stuff i happened to find were inactive or dead for a long time. I would like to hear the answers from people who really know what they are talking about. Thanks in advance!

The question is - can you please recommend me in-ear earphones for an audiophile?

What I look for is high quality sound and that are (in your opinion) worth the price. If you have few recommendations then its even better. They also have to be in-ear because I want to use them in work. Can't tell you the price range but I don't want them to be overly expensive. 

I listen to various kind of music but I really want the earphones to shine in low-mid frequencies. 

I look for something versatile enough.

Any advices?

Cheers!

Thornae 

14 answers to this question

I bought a pair of highly rated 1MORE Triple Driver in-ears and quickly returned them. I'm not overly sensitive to treble, (my other headphones are Grado and Beyerdynamic) but the 1MORE's were ear-blastingly bright and unpleasant. I

have Sennheiser Momentum HD1 in-ears now and I'm extremely pleased with them. Available in red or black trim, and either Android or iPhone compatibility:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR84GU2/ref=sr_ob_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537628667&sr=8-3

Like Chris, I changed the ear tips to Comply memory foam, which make them sound even better and improves comfort.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

I have: 

-B&W C5 Series 2...$150 on Amazon...I really like the sound...not as resolving or isolating as other in-ears but very coherent and musical.  I think for the price good value.  Were originally $300.

-Westone UM40 from a few years ago...my third Westone and the sound is very good...more resolving and isolating than the B&W.  I have not had the best of luck with reliability with Westone.  My favorite was the UM3 pro but one ear died.  The 4R died...the cable died on my current pair.  Sound good but short lifetime.

-Etymotic ER4SE...love them...great isolation and resolution...enough bass...only drawback is finding aftermarket cables.  The MMCX connection is too built up and not quite standard to aftermarket...at least the ones I have tried ( looking for balanced connection).  I do have some Moon Audio cables that do connect but do not use much due to fit.  Ety cable has an angled connection that aftermarket do not have.

-Shure 315...meh. Nice but not worth the cost of a few years ago.  I have read the 425s are better value but have not tried.  Use while cutting grass.

comply tips on all.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

I’m a fan of Shure IEMs.  Over the years I’ve accumulated the SE535, SE215-BT, SCL3 and E4C.  Shure’s BT cable isn’t great, but I think the SE215s are a good value (they sell a wired version).  I’ve heard that the SE315s aren’t worth the money over the SE215s..  I really like the SE535s, but I’m not entirely sure I’d spend $499 on them again.  They haven’t made them for at least 8 years, but I’m still impressed by the SCL3s.

I haven’t tried Etymotics yet, but I’m itching to hear the 3’s or 4’s.

20 hours ago, mrvco said:

I’m a fan of Shure IEMs.  Over the years I’ve accumulated the SE535, SE215-BT, SCL3 and E4C.  Shure’s BT cable isn’t great, but I think the SE215s are a good value (they sell a wired version).  I’ve heard that the SE315s aren’t worth the money over the SE215s..  I really like the SE535s, but I’m not entirely sure I’d spend $499 on them again.  They haven’t made them for at least 8 years, but I’m still impressed by the SCL3s.

I haven’t tried Etymotics yet, but I’m itching to hear the 3’s or 4’s.

I'm also a fan of the Shure IEMs. I own both the SE535 and SE215. The sound quality is great and the cables are replaceable.

Also big thumbs up to the Comply tips. I use TS100 (Large).

I've owned three or four pairs of Etymotic IEMs over the year and managed to destroy the cable on each pair. I also don't like how they protrude out of ears as it prevents me from listening to music in bed while laying on my side. Not a problem with Shure IEMs. 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

3 hours ago, kumakuma said:

I'm also a fan of the Shure IEMs. I own both the SE535 and SE215. The sound quality is great and the cables are replaceable.

Also big thumbs up to the Comply tips. I use TS100 (Large).

I've owned three or four pairs of Etymotic IEMs over the year and managed to destroy the cable on each pair. I also don't like how they protrude out of ears as it prevents me from listening to music in bed while laying on my side. Not a problem with Shure IEMs. 

I can’t quite lay on my side with the 215s and 535s.  It would be nice if I could, maybe I need to cut an ear hole out of my pillow ??‍♂️

I’ve used the Comply tips for some years, but recently went back to the #2 Shure tips.  I get a good seal with them and I can wear them longer with less discomfort.  The Comply tips tend to make my ear canals ache after several hours.

On 9/27/2018 at 11:23 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Thornae - I've used many in ear headphones over the years at prices ranging from $25 to $3,500. My newest in ears are the Etymotic ER3 SE (Studio Edition) for $179. I'm so impressed by these earphones that I'll probably write a review of them very soon. The bang for the buck is tremendous. 

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/er3-new.html

I also purchased the Comply P Series tips to make them super comfortable.

https://www.complyfoam.com/products/p-series/

er3se_box_mo_1.jpg

P-Series_Black_Medium__96512.1521639595.500.750.png

@The Computer Audiophile

I have the older series ER 4 microPro and am considering the upgrade path to the newer series but see you are recommending the tier down from the 4 series.  Is this to say the new 3 series is equal to or preferred to the 4's?  Have you auditioned the new ER4 SR / XR?  Wondering if they are worth the upgrade.  Love my Etys!

Many thanks for your recommend of the Comply foam tips....their web site implies the TS100 series is recommended for comfort and greater sonics while the P series is recommended for greater isolation.  Is this correct?

24 minutes ago, wdw said:

@The Computer Audiophile

I have the older series ER 4 microPro and am considering the upgrade path to the newer series but see you are recommending the tier down from the 4 series.  Is this to say the new 3 series is equal to or preferred to the 4's?  Have you auditioned the new ER4 SR / XR?  Wondering if they are worth the upgrade.  Love my Etys!

Many thanks for your recommend of the Comply foam tips....their web site implies the TS100 series is recommended for comfort and greater sonics while the P series is recommended for greater isolation.  Is this correct?

I’ve had the old 4s and I think the new 3s are just as good. I haven’t heard the new 4s yet. 

Since I use them mostly traveling I prefer the greater isolation on airplanes. The comply tips are just so much better than stock. 

Would love to know how the 3s compare to the 4s now. I bet they are really close. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’ve had the old 4s and I think the new 3s are just as good. I haven’t heard the new 4s yet. 

Since I use them mostly traveling I prefer the greater isolation on airplanes. The comply tips are just so much better than stock. 

Would love to know how the 3s compare to the 4s now. I bet they are really close. 

Thanks....was just flying back from a holiday in the UK and had the Etys and my Pono player and was reminded, again, how good personal audio can be.  It was then that I reconsidered sending the 4 microPro back for the upgrade.  In any case I will be ordering the Comply tips...thanks again.

On 9/30/2018 at 7:54 PM, lucretius said:

What size tips?

Whichever fit your ears. Medium for me. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

20 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Hard to know ahead of ordering.

My Sennheiser HD1 in-ears came with three sizes of tips. I was using the Sennheiser medium tips, so I ordered Comply Medium and they fit perfectly. 

There are Comply sets that contain various sizes for someone who is not confident about which to order, or needs to fit more than one person.