IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

2 minutes ago, Sonicularity said:

The title of this thread is annoying.  It suggests that much of the research to garner any actual knowledge about this lossy format was somehow only one side of a complete story. That is absolute crap.  There is no middle ground.  There are lies and marking BS and a reality this is continually ignored or side-stepped in an effort to promote a proprietary format that could potentially and critically have a negative impact on consumer interests.

It is an interesting final seminar Sunday afternoon for sure.

16 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

From the RMAF site:

"MQA: The Truth Lies Somewhere in the Middle @ Marriott Aspen Amphitheater, Lobby Level

Oct 7, Sunday @ 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm

Speakers: Chris Connaker, Computer Audiophile

Since MQA launched in 2014 the technology has been loved by some and loathed by others. Like all contentious topics and technologies, there is a wide range of opinions about MQA that lie on a continuum. In this seminar Chris will leave the opinionated arguments behind and discuss the pros, cons, costs, and claims made about MQA. This session is meant to provide attendees with factual information they can use in their pursuits to increase their enjoyment of this wonderful hobby."

This entry has the date wrong, I think. Either that or the day is Fri.: https://www.audiofest.net/show-schedule/action~agenda/cat_ids~4/

What entry is wrong?

1 minute ago, rando said:

Chris is hardly in his 40's.  Plenty of gumption and get-up-to-it'ness left in him.  I know "The Savage" has been straining at the straitjacket to get in the squared circle.  I'd put those two up against Lavorgna and his bearded hipster internecine replacement.  Who knows, JA might even pull a Don King and end the bout in the opposite corner than he started it in.  ?‍♂️

Those of us against MQA won’t be the ones rioting. Imagine the end of Blazing Saddles except I’ll be riding off in a town car back to the airport. Only I’ll be heading back to someplace special.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm putting everything together today and tomorrow (possibly Fri. & Sat. after the show as well). 

Without opening a huge can of worms, I'll ask the question - What do you think consumers should know?

Based on previous seminars I've given, there will be a few people who already know this stuff, but most will have only read bits and pieces of what the old guard has told them.

I'll have some fun financial facts. Basically the people who invested money in MQA Ltd aren't the kind of folks to care about sound quality.

3 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Yes..although I am not sure about Srajan Ebaen. I found him to be incredibly rude and smug, but his sonic description have been rather accurate. Has he written about MQA?

He refuses to write about MQA. And based on his life that I know about he hung around with some very unsavory people in Oregon.

31 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

OT, but for the record, Srajan Ebaen's Bio from 6moons:

:http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/srajan/1.html

"Philosophical beginnings. At eighteen and much to the chagrin of friends and relatives, this future scribe traveled to India to spend time in the ashram of the controversial mystic Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh who later became known simply as Osho. Osho gave him the name Dhyan Srajan which translates as 'creativity from meditation'. Srajan eventually abandoned his classical music studies to concentrate on these new pursuits. He emigrated to the US to become part of the Rajneeshpuram community in the high desert of Oregon. When that large-scale experiment ended and much of the community regrouped in the former Indian headquarters of Poona, he decided to stay in the US."

"Credits. For world view and spiritual perspective, grateful acknowledgements go to his root teacher Osho as well as the American-born Avatar Adi Da Samraj, British-born Maitreya Ishwara and modern-day teacher Nirmala."

This is a telling list. 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/apr/07/cult-oregon-1980s-terror-netflix-documentary-wild-country

An episode of American history that should be erased.

57 minutes ago, FredericV said:

And first he says he likes linear phase the most on dacs with selectable filters, and then he contradicts himself he likes MQA a lot, which does not implement linear phase but a modified minimum phase filter which messes up the frequency domain:

image.thumb.png.d9d6cd5d4538899333c15940d5c9e600.png

and he continues to claim it's beneficial to buy an MQA dac ....
image.thumb.png.fc3eadba17ae65b122271f60cfaaf252.png
image.thumb.png.8e403cce959f21b5b630c2247d54d476.png

Is this guy a complete joke?

Hans and colleagues

Flock_of_sheep.jpg

23 minutes ago, Archimago said:

LOL. Maybe next year at the new date and venue... That would be really cool. ?

Would be surprised if anyone cares about MQA by then though.

Curious for the people at RMAF, was there much interest in the MQA Live event. Obviously they're looking for niches to claw back some revenue like the patently ridiculous MQA-CD and now this "MQA Live". I see Audio Bacon put up a video of the event in the Revel/Levinson room.

There wasn’t any buzz about the live sessions I heard. And I’ll report some stuff contradicting Austinpop’s comments about people still wanting MQA DACs when I get back to the valley of the sun.

5 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I was not able to attend RMAF this year.  So I am saddened that the only RMAF thread here on CA has been completely taken over by arguments about MQA. I am hoping that someone will start a new RMAF-coverage thread so I can stop wasting time wading through page after page of this bickering (although most of you seem to be agreeing with one another, the beat goes on...).

It;s funny, but for a format/tech that has such strong opposition, it certainly sucks up a LOT of air around here.  What is it they say?: "No such thing as bad publicity." :o

Guess we'll cancel our plans to introduce an MQA linear power supply.  How about an MQA USB regurgitator/refolder? :P

I’m working on my show report now and it will not have any MQA discussion. But it will be mainly about speakers. I found the sound quality to be lackluster in most cases and bad enough in some rooms that I won’t comment on anything in them.

3 hours ago, mansr said:

Nevertheless, they achieved their goal. They ruined the presentation and filled it with their FUD instead. Nobody attending be remembering any of the points Chris raised, only the skewering he received.

Everyone in the room will remember the MQA representatives desperation. And Derek Hughes pounding the table asking us why we don’t believe them when they say there is no DRM?

2 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

threads...

but in the threads the reps were raked over the coals with one or two Defenders...one was enamored with the “excellent “ Scoggins article.

Steve Hoffman doesn't like controversy on his site and even though he hates MQA he doesn't want threads about it.