IGNORED

Everything sounds the same

mansr

36 minutes ago, sandyk said:

You know damn well that's not what I said or what I mean. !!!

It did seem to be what you were saying.  Which is why I asked the question.  It didn't fit with what you've said before. 

And we are back to the idea in some form or fashion that no one can figure out the power supply when ones and zeroes are written somehow shows up in the output.  No matter how clean and good playback of identical ones and zeroes, they sound different if they were originally created by clean vs dirty power supplies.  Or is this also not what you are saying?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

30 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Wasn’t this thread a stupid one at first, now getting too much serious ? Glad i’m just passing by... 23 pages!

Now you've managed to offend me.  I dare you call my post just previous to yours serious.  The nerve of some people.  An admitted drive by poster at that.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

30 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Sometimes different words, but often the same words, over and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, ad nauseam, ad infinitum!

Ah, if only you had fixed the things that bother you following Frank's advice, then you could remove the nauseum.

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

Hmmm ...

Haven't you said you have an EE degree?  If so, how does all this baloney square with your education?  Did you make your living as an EE?

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Okay, precisely define or point to one piece of "baloney" - and you get your reward of an answer ... George type handwaving not acceptable, :).

Sorry, I'd like an answer to the question.  If you aren't an EE, then best approach for questioning some of your conclusions is different in my view.  

I'm not trying to determine the worth of your posting via your CV, simply wondering if you have the background for certain questions or not. 

I take it from a subsequent post by you, that you primarily work in software or hardware related to computers.

36 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Gold isn't the best conductor, If you want that, you go with silver. but gold doesn't corrode, part of it's value throughout history is it's incorruptibility. This also, BTW, is what makes it desirable and extremely useful in electronics. A thin layer of gold deposited on connector parts. is enough to insure that the connectors do not corrode. Silver, for all of it's great conductivity turns black with silver oxide if left in the air. Silver oxide, deposited on mating connector parts forms DIODES; i.e. rectifiers. Not exactly what you want in a connector used to pass an AC signal like audio. 

I bet you'll find that if you take the time, every year or so to give your current cable connectors and their mating sockets, a good clean with DeToxIT (or equivalent), you can save yourself some money over buying new cables. Of course, cables do go bad occasionally, and those have to be replaced.

Actually I think silver oxide is not a bad conductor.  Most silver tarnishing includes a fair amount of silver sulfide which is a semi-conductor at best.  Silver chloride is also usually part of the silver tarnish.  

3 minutes ago, marce said:

a comparator?

Wrong thread, but how long does it take to burn in a comparator until it functions like a comparator reliably.  ;)

1 minute ago, marce said:

You can have fun with them, with a couple and a bit of basic logic you can create a simple high low switch... A 1 bit DAC?

I remember stringing some together on a multi-level signal to use something like If...then...logic in some liquid level control gear.   I didn't recall any burn in or burn out until one took a more or less direct lightning strike. 

5 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

You know, sometimes people just need to have a seal slap them in the face with an octopus

Presumably what you had in mind. 

44 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

yes, but we need to photochop Frank in there

Does Frank have a kayak?  What say you Frank?

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

Oh god Peter—I nearly spit up my coffee when I read that!  You’re not an American, but clearly you have spent time here.  x-D

Do they have Waffle Houses in Europe?

There is the time I was eating at one and the tip I left caused a brawl among all the employees.  And no it wasn't due to the size of the tip.  I do mean knock down, drag out brawl too, not some little tiff. 

4 hours ago, jabbr said:

I was disappointed he passed on the Joshua Bell concert last night ? He told me that he thinks that in the future Eminem will be viewed the way we view Beethoven ?

I have to say that the car stereo was particularly painful demonstrating to me that, no, not all electronics sound the same.

If you'd get him some audiophile tires, everything would be sorted out.  

3 hours ago, look&listen said:

Ok, have time now. See following posts, but must comment because post of mine* seem involved in issue.

I see this thread from All Activity (like most) and stop in to watch @PeterSt outthink all other participants ^_^

Then I Report Post for ugly cursing by OP.

Then PeterSt Report (own!) Post for irreverent fun!

Then you do quick look, take default action.

Then surprised to step on many toes.

Now, still trying to understand problem-

Problem is many members think you biased for trolls, against audiophiles, if not clueless, or slave to ineffective procedure.
Problem is CA becoming sewer of trolling, hate mongering, conspiracy theorys, unpleasant experiences (+clicks, -users).

Problem is still enough good, smart members here to not just abandon.

You have all power on CA forums.

You responsible for what it becomes.

You responsible for CA (declining?) reputation in audiophile world.

Your move.

*(usually Ignore all trolls & fools, but when thread activity get to 'Fast & Furious' plateau, ignored posts appear. See opportunity for simple, true, comment, which resonates with others. Trouble ensues- :o )

Implicit in your post is the bias that Trolls aren't audiophiles.   Tsk, tsk, tsk.........

8 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

No. But indeed I saw a couple of few dozen in a few dozen States. :ph34r:

So do you go for the Waffles or Texas Toast or what is your favorite menu item?  ;)

4 minutes ago, diecaster said:

He doesn’t have a favorite menu item. He thinks they cook everything all wrong. 

I would think he's like anyone in a foreign land.  Give some benefit of the doubt, try the local food, see what sits well with you. 

I've found some strange sounding to me concoctions might not be liked at first.  But stay loose, let it sink in, try it a second time and in time the attraction to at least some things becomes apparent.   Though I wouldn't put Waffle houses at the top of anyone's list for sampling American food.  I would note many Waffle house cooks will alter things to suit the customer if you ask. 

18 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Very interesting you should say because we have a high opinion of "Belgian Waffles" and "Bretagne" crepes. The difference, best I can tell, is the use of yeast in the batter, whereas the "American" version is notable for white flour, and baking powder, so a very bland, generic taste to which syrup is added, maple if you are very very lucky, not not real maple typically.

Yes eggs, and yes bacon, or "Canadian bacon" aka "Country ham" which when hand made/properly aged in Western Ky, rivals the best of Italian "Prosciutto" ... most of our generic ham is what they call "English Ham" or "Prosciutto Anglaise"

The Waffle House is notable for being open 24 hours! So think of a meal after a very late night party ... or a very early breakfast before a long road trip.

The Original Pancake House has a broader and more upscale menu with some items such as the  pancake variant "Dutch Baby" which best as I can tell are from a Pennsylvania Dutch origin rather than Netherland origin (but @PeterSt please correct me)

Another Southern origin is the "Waffle and Fried Chicken"

Yes, when in college virtually nothing was open late in those days.  Two exceptions were the Waffle house and Pancake house.  So if you were up late studying or otherwise and wanted a snack out somewhere those were your choices.  We had a saying, "the floor show starts at 2 am".  Around 2 am is when all the strange (and often interesting) people would show up.  

30 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

coal??

Maybe it was a typo for cold...........................er  probably not. 

Probably was charcoal fired.  

38 minutes ago, jabbr said:

This really is the same discussion ... the details don't matter ... we have different power supplies, we have different formats, we have different ingredients ... ?

Heck I bet that we even have objections to Peking duck with wheat wrappers ... not authentic ?

Yes that is the point of my post.  Maybe our normal discussions are maladaptive.  The pizza discussion uncovered it for me.