IGNORED

Looking for DAC recommendations

Evening all,

Due to space constraints I listen to music through headphones, so I'm looking for a nice DAC to compliment a currently undecided pair of headphones.

Currently running the FiiO E10k and Sennheiser 598 headphones, but now I've got a bit more disposable income I am looking for an upgrade.

I mostly listen to opera, classical and choral music, but I do have an eclectic taste and listen to all sorts.

Any advice appreciated! I'd rather keep it below £1000-1500.

On 8/26/2018 at 4:27 PM, MiguelUK said:

Evening all,

Due to space constraints I listen to music through headphones, so I'm looking for a nice DAC to compliment a currently undecided pair of headphones.

Currently running the FiiO E10k and Sennheiser 598 headphones, but now I've got a bit more disposable income I am looking for an upgrade.

I mostly listen to opera, classical and choral music, but I do have an eclectic taste and listen to all sorts.

Any advice appreciated! I'd rather keep it below £1000-1500.

Benchmark DAC3 HGC

RME ADI-2 DAC

mQa is dead!

That is two really solid units.Better than the quality of the files being played.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Chord Mojo should be a no brainer, portable, sounds good, and easily accessible at around $500. I much preferred its sound to the iFi iDSD Micro.

If you want to spend more, choices get more complex based on your ear training and listening biases... best to attend a CANJAM event where you can audition gear.

Personally I'd spend the rest of your budget on Audeze Sine headphones, you will get much more listening enjoyment out of that investment than spending more

on the headphone amp and keeping the 598's. We have about 10 different headphones in my home, with 3 different listeners, ranging from Grado SR80's to my

Sine DX  and some Bose 35's.... the 598's sit on the shelf given the other choices.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 8/27/2018 at 11:03 PM, lucretius said:

Benchmark DAC3 HGC

RME ADI-2 DAC

Ugh, I would not listen to opera or choral music on a Benchmark, unless you want a headache... Try the Metrum Amethyst. Good for classical and has a decent headphone amp. 

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

4 hours ago, trappy said:

Ugh, I would not listen to opera or choral music on a Benchmark, unless you want a headache... Try the Metrum Amethyst. Good for classical and has a decent headphone amp. 

hmm, probably a good combo recommendation. I've lived happily with a Metrum Octave for over 5 years, only recently realizing I want more  after an accidental

Roon comparison of HDMI monitor audio  vs the Octave showed blurry high frequency resolution on percussion brush strokes and cymbals.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

hmm, probably a good combo recommendation. I've lived happily with a Metrum Octave for over 5 years, only recently realizing I want more  after an accidental

Roon comparison of HDMI monitor audio  vs the Octave showed blurry high frequency resolution on percussion brush strokes and cymbals.

The Amethyst is a totally different beast to the Octave. But yes, NOS DACs are not an automatic recommendation for everyone. However, the Amethyst and it’s predecessor the Musette were both terrific for classical vocals; I owned both of them, and the only reason I changed was for a good DAC/amp solution. Which, sadly, is not quite as great on the vocal front...

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

54 minutes ago, cjf said:

Is it safe to assume that you've listened to the Benchmark DAC3? I own a DAC1 & DAC3 and can say the DAC3 is night and day better sounding despite what the Stereophile review may have you believe.

Depends which Stereophile review you are referring to.  I am positively thrilled with the DAC3..........I am using three of them!

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Hey Kal,

My reference was about the latest review where it was mentioned that the DAC3 sounds like the DAC1; basically. I couldn't disagree more.

I went into the purchase not expecting much of a change with my main motivation being the DAC3's support for DSD and impressive measurements. Needless to say it was a great surprise to find the differences I hear between the DAC1 & DAC3 to be significant, in a good way.

Have fun with those three DAC3's, I'm sure its impressive

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I am positively thrilled with the DAC3..........I am using three of them!

Do you have comment on sound difference from DC2 to DAC3? Most I read was very small increase over 2 series. 

I know DAC1 sound & agree with previous comments. Happy with my DAC2. Happy also not to lust over DAC3 (for now).

12 hours ago, cjf said:

Is it safe to assume that you've listened to the Benchmark DAC3? I own a DAC1 & DAC3 and can say the DAC3 is night and day better sounding despite what the Stereophile review may have you believe. One thing it isn't is harsh sounding. I do however agree that the DAC1 was a bit rough around the edges.

I owned the DAC2 for about a year. Many virtues; classical vocals not one of them.

When I added a dedicated Woo headphone amp to my setup it transformed my headphone listening and led to further upgrades.  The WA2 is the amp I chose but the WA3 would work at half the cost.  Then the Beyerdynamic T1 Tesla phones which can be had for under $1000, usually around $800.  For a DAC the direcstream still had no real peer but the Metrum Acoustics stuff I do hear good things about but haven't listened to one yet.