IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

22 hours ago, smethley said:

What's the output impedance of the Digione?  From a quick look at the components on mine it's probably 50R.  That would be a bit of a shame as my DAC i/p impedance is 75R.

Sounds great tho', with either 50R or 75R cable!  Can the Signature really be better?  

BNC is 75R and RCA cannot be at 75R by definition (geometry of connectors) so we chose 50R

1 hour ago, allo.com said:

You need 18650 batteries, I find that Lifepo4 are best , but li-ion also work fine

3.1 to 3.8V are within best parameters

Thank you, looking here in the Uk the only LifePo batteries I found have very low storage, 1200MAH vs normal 18650 with around 2500MAH...?

I have been running the Digione Signature for a week or so and i'm impressed.  I have a question about power however.  I don't yet have a LPS for it so I am using the Allo supplied PS on the clean side and a PS from my old Squeezebox Touch on the dirty side.  That works, however when I switch them around, i.e. the Allo PS powering the dirty side I get a steady red LED showing on the Pi 3 most of the time.  Does that suggest it's not getting enough power?  Ultimately my plan is to have a LPS on the clean and Allo on the dirty side but now im unsure that will work. Advice would be appreciated.  Cheers

So, based on recommendations, I've ordered the Signature and battery pack to compare to my original Digione.

If I understand the power sequencing needs from earlier in this thread, I will not be able to simply turn off the battery pack and leave the Pi running (via the mains adapter), since when I next turn on the battery, the system my not lock onto the correct clock ('50% chance').

2 questions:

1.  How would I know if the correct clock has been locked onto?  (Why waste time rebooting the Pi if not necessary).

2.  Is there not an elegant way round this?  (I tend to never turn off my Pis).

20 minutes ago, smethley said:

So, based on recommendations, I've ordered the Signature and battery pack to compare to my original Digione.

If I understand the power sequencing needs from earlier in this thread, I will not be able to simply turn off the battery pack and leave the Pi running (via the mains adapter), since when I next turn on the battery, the system my not lock onto the correct clock ('50% chance').

2 questions:

1.  How would I know if the correct clock has been locked onto?  (Why waste time rebooting the Pi if not necessary).

2.  Is there not an elegant way round this?  (I tend to never turn off my Pis).

With respect to question 2, I would reboot the RPi after switching on the power on the clean side. If you do not want to reboot via remote login from a laptop or from a desktop, you can setup a ssh client on you mobile phone (ConnectBot, for instance) to reboot the RPi by just tapping the app's icon. I am not sure this is an elegant solution but it should work fine if you are not switching off/on the power supply of the clean side every few minutes.

I have received the DigiOne Signature on Monday and wanted to replace the brass standoffs that come with the device with nylon standoffs.

I eventually decided to leave the brass standoffs in place as the main board and the child card appeared to be tightly connected through the 8pin GPIO connector. 

Still I do not like the brass standoffs together with my Pibow case and I'd like to replace them with nylon standoffs. 

Is it safe to take apart the two boards?

9 minutes ago, SparkSpark said:

Thanks, but the idea is that a 2400 mah battery will last twice as long as a 1200 mah battery?

Sure, mAh is a measure of capacity. It has the dimension of a load (mA) times a time (h for hours). Thus, for a battery A to have twice the capacity of a battery B, precisely means that A can power a load for twice as long as B can power that load.

47 minutes ago, nbpf said:

I have received the DigiOne Signature on Monday and wanted to replace the brass standoffs that come with the device with nylon standoffs.

I eventually decided to leave the brass standoffs in place as the main board and the child card appeared to be tightly connected through the 8pin GPIO connector. 

Still I do not like the brass standoffs together with my Pibow case and I'd like to replace them with nylon standoffs. 

Is it safe to take apart the two boards?

Yes its safe

Though I’m somewhat surprised he apparently found little difference with the power supplies tried. My other half, who enjoys music a lot but has zero interest in ‘Hi-Fi’ could easily tell the difference between different regulators and different capacitors in a power supply powering the Signature.

On 8/21/2018 at 6:49 PM, pjmcos said:

We also decided to use 2 power supplies. The “dirty power” needs 5V /2-3A (RPI power). The “clean side” needs about 60mA and accepts anything from 5V to 29V. You can use anything on it, linear power supply or pure batteries power.

Allo, can you confirm "from 5v to 29v"?

I got an LPS with range from 15 to 24v to try on clen side, so it is safe...

I just purchase the Digione Signature (not the complete player setup) without any add-ons, and am trying to get all of my power cables and supplies in order. Could you confirm what will be included with this base purchase? Specifically, curious if there is a "DC-TO-TYPE-C USB ADAPTER CABLE" included in the box and if one basic 5V SMPS is included. After placing my order, I realize I need two of the adapters. I'm not sure if I need to purchase more of them, and what the best way to include them with my existing order is. Happy to take this to PM if it's easier to continue the discussion. Thanks in advance for the help!

In other news, I just purchased an Uptone UltraCap LPS-1.2 and am really curious to see how this setup improves my existing Digione w/ 5v iFi iPower (which I now understand wasn't offering any sort of power benefit to begin with). 

19 minutes ago, maha0098 said:

In other news, I just purchased an Uptone UltraCap LPS-1.2 and am really curious to see how this setup improves my existing Digione w/ 5v iFi iPower (which I now understand wasn't offering any sort of power benefit to begin with).

You can decide if the 5v iFi Power offered a benefit over the included Allo power supply. Don't just take someone's word for it. It is an easy a/b scenario - with either the Digione or the Digione Signature. The more interesting question is how does the Uptone sound!

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

3 hours ago, maha0098 said:

I am not sure that you can use the LPS-1.2 to power the Digione but it might work. I use the LPS-1.2 to power the clean side of a DigiOne Signature, a grounded ifi 5v/2.5A powers the dirty side. 

1 minute ago, nbpf said:

I am not sure that you can use the LPS-1.2 to power the Digione but it might work. I use the LPS-1.2 to power the clean side of a DigiOne Signature, a grounded ifi 5v/2.5A powers the dirty side. 

I see how my post was unclear: I purchased the LPS-1.2 to go with the Digione Signature that's incoming to power the clean side, and plan on repurposing the iFi iPower to power the dirty side since I'll have no other need for it. Same setup as yours!