Jump to content
pjmcos

Allo Digione Signature

Recommended Posts

I received my Allo one Digione signature, on the opening the package I could hear rattling inside the case, the two back screws holding the board were not screwed, they were loose inside the case, I’m attaching a picture.
Would this effect the player. I’m also not happy with quality control, this the first time I’m ordering from Allo.

IMG_5946.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, magicwonder said:
I received my Allo one Digione signature, on the opening the package I could hear rattling inside the case, the two back screws holding the board were not screwed, they were loose inside the case, I’m attaching a picture.
Would this effect the player. I’m also not happy with quality control, this the first time I’m ordering from Allo.

IMG_5946.jpg

The DigiOne Signature is a great interface but such a lack of care/control is not acceptable. I would just send the device back to Allo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 12:00 PM, nbpf said:

t does not seem like a review to me: no comparisons with other I2S to SPDIF transports, no listening tests, nothing interesting in the test. I have not watched the video, the text was boring enough. Too bad because I find the DigiOne Signature really great!

This was not really a Darko Review - he said it was a basic rap on streaming showing the potential of Raspberry Pi based streamers sounding pretty darn good. He explains the DigiOne Signature, but I agree it was not a "review."


MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Plus 3.5/DigiOne Signature Player (Raspberry Pi plus USB>S/PDIF converter)/MSB Gold Link III DAC (external Monolithic PS)/Aragon 4004 amplifier/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 Utility cabinets on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL (bottom) Kimber 8TC (top) speaker wires/stereo Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, rruffin said:

This was not really a Darko Review - he said it was a basic rap on streaming showing the potential of Raspberry Pi based streamers sounding pretty darn good. He explains the DigiOne Signature, but I agree it was not a "review."

It is currently the first entry in https://darko.audio/category/reviews/. Thus, if it was not meant to be a review it is probably in the wrong place. Anyway it's one more of those videos that none actually needs and a complete waste of time and resources, in my view. Just my two cents, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using an Auralic Aries for years and I'm considering getting the DigiOne Signature Player as I have a need for a 2nd unit and it will be interesting to compare. I have a couple of noob questions:

 

  1. Just to confirm - the power inputs are USB C, not micro USB?
  2. The OS options are confusing for me as I have zero experience with RPIs - what would be a good choice?

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, do tell us how you get on. 

 

The power inputs are indeed USBC, and you’ll probably gets lots of different advice on OS’s. I found Roipee the simplest, (with Roon) but that really is just a question of personal preference. One thing I would mention is just to carefully follow the instructions for burning the OS to your memory card, and you should be up and running in a few minutes. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received my Signature, and I will say based on other comments, that the packaging was fantastic.  Lot's of foam wrapped around the unit and smaller pieces inserted to protect the acrylic case.  I also ordered the battery holder which does indeed have stickers on identifying the +ve & -ve terminals.  Time to set it up and compare to my USBridge....


[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RX8R3ROD said:

BTW apologies for the xxx’s there ... long day and on autopilot ?

 

..lol....


[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2018 at 11:26 AM, magicwonder said:
I received my Allo one Digione signature, on the opening the package I could hear rattling inside the case, the two back screws holding the board were not screwed, they were loose inside the case, I’m attaching a picture.
Would this effect the player. I’m also not happy with quality control, this the first time I’m ordering from Allo.

IMG_5946.jpg

 

Same on mine. One screw was not screwed and was loose inside the case. The others were not tight. Bad quality controls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Curious what Digital cables folks are using with their Signature? I have a Cable Solution’s cable that uses Canare LV-77S cable, but I’m sure I could do better without breaking the bank!


[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dmormerod said:

 Curious what Digital cables folks are using with their Signature? I have a Cable Solution’s cable that uses Canare LV-77S cable, but I’m sure I could do better without breaking the bank!

Not sure if that helps, but I just compared a Duelund tinned copper RCA cable and a pure silver RCA cable. The silver sounded a lot better hands down. I guess a good silver 75 ohm BNC coax cable would sound even better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

does anyone here have an idea how on earth I should reach Allo customer service? I received Digione Signature recently, unfortunately it is not working. I am trying to reach them already for almost a week and half, yet haven't received any reply. I first tried [email protected], then posted here as well as a direct message to allo.com member profile. 

 

I sold my first iteration of Digione, hence I am basically without a transport device since then.  

 

This is not the level of customer service you'd expect for a 300€ HAT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jakub said:

Hi all,

 

does anyone here have an idea how on earth I should reach Allo customer service? I received Digione Signature recently, unfortunately it is not working. I am trying to reach them already for almost a week and half, yet haven't received any reply. I first tried [email protected], then posted here as well as a direct message to allo.com member profile. 

 

I sold my first iteration of Digione, hence I am basically without a transport device since then.  

 

This is not the level of customer service you'd expect for a 300€ HAT.

We are here, got your message. Tech support will reply shortly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dmormerod said:

 Curious what Digital cables folks are using with their Signature? I have a Cable Solution’s cable that uses Canare LV-77S cable, but I’m sure I could do better without breaking the bank!

 

I personally can't stand using multiple adapters to connect devices together.  I ended up using Allo's supplied 5V supply to power the dirty side and a custom Ghent cable to connect 5.5/2.1 LPS power output to USB-C.  I usually use non custom or high end cables, but in this case I made an exception to minimize adapters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, purehifi192 said:

 

I personally can't stand using multiple adapters to connect devices together.  I ended up using Allo's supplied 5V supply to power the dirty side and a custom Ghent cable to connect 5.5/2.1 LPS power output to USB-C.  I usually use non custom or high end cables, but in this case I made an exception to minimize adapters.

 

Yes!!! I can't stand those either!

 

We invest hundreds of dollars in good quality linear power supplies and power cords, and the power then goes through these cheap crappy adaptors. I just ordered one of these USB C's to make a custom cable. The plan is to solder a good quality wire and then use epoxy to make the connection sturdy and some heat shrink tubing on top.

 

41JQ+sr1ghL.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that I find very annoying with the DigiOne Signature is that the OS keeps on throwing under voltage exceptions. The problem does not appear to depend on the power supply used. I am powering the dirty side of the Signature with a JS-2 and had the same problem when I was powering it with an ifi 5V/2.5A or with Allo's PSU. I suspect this is a flaw of the Signature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...