IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

On 10/13/2018 at 6:01 AM, nbpf said:

Thanks for the report! How do you connect the 5.5x2.1mm output of the LPS-1 to the USB-C input of the DigiOne Signature? Do you use adapters or the https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc29.html cable? I would like to upgrade my DigiOne to the Signature but I am a bit held back by the cable mess. Thanks, nbpf

Right now I'm using the adapter cables that come with the DigiOne Signature.  They are these: https://allo.com/sparky/dc-type-c-usb-adapter-cable.html.  I have a DigiOne Signature going in 2 different systems right now, and I had a few spare 2.1mm to 2.5mm cables (that came with some old SOtM battery power supplies) that I use to connect an LPS-1 to the DigiOne clean power input (using the barrel adapters).  I am going to order some Ghent cables, though...  

The inexpensive power supplies I'm using to power the RPI side have cables with a 2.5mm barrel plug, so they plug right into the adapter cables. 

If anyone has 2.1mm cables (like the ones that come with the LPS-1 or LPS-1.2), here are some 2.1mm to 2.5mm adapters to use with the included 5.5x2.5mm to USB-C adapter cables (https://chicagodist.com/products/2-1mm-to-2-5mm-dc-barrel-plug-adapter).  

I had the DigiOne, by the way, and the DigiOne Signature sounds significantly better to me.

9 hours ago, clipper said:

Right now I'm using the adapter cables that come with the DigiOne Signature.  They are these: https://allo.com/sparky/dc-type-c-usb-adapter-cable.html.  I have a DigiOne Signature going in 2 different systems right now, and I had a few spare 2.1mm to 2.5mm cables (that came with some old SOtM battery power supplies) that I use to connect an LPS-1 to the DigiOne clean power input (using the barrel adapters).  I am going to order some Ghent cables, though...  

The inexpensive power supplies I'm using to power the RPI side have cables with a 2.5mm barrel plug, so they plug right into the adapter cables. 

If anyone has 2.1mm cables (like the ones that come with the LPS-1 or LPS-1.2), here are some 2.1mm to 2.5mm adapters to use with the included 5.5x2.5mm to USB-C adapter cables (https://chicagodist.com/products/2-1mm-to-2-5mm-dc-barrel-plug-adapter).  

I had the DigiOne, by the way, and the DigiOne Signature sounds significantly better to me.

Thanks a lot for the detailed information!

9 hours ago, clipper said:

Hi.

Before the DigiOne Signature, I have streamed (or sent audio from one computer to another over Ethernet, where computer 2 is the one hooked up to the DAC) via 1) 2 computers running JPLAY; 2) a computer sending to a Wandboard and outputting via USB; 3) a computer sending to various NUCs and outputting via USB; 4) a computer sending to a microRendu; 5) a computer sending to an SOtM sMS-100; 6) a computer sending to an sMS-200; 7) a computer sending to an ultraRendu; ? a computer sending to an Allo DigiOne; and 9) a computer sending to an Allo USBridge.

The streamers have been hooked up to DACs directly via USB, and have also been tried with 1) a Berkeley Alpha USB outputting via AES and BNC, 2) a Singxer F-1 outputting via Coax SPDIF, 3) a Singxer SU-1 (powered by an LPS-1) outputting via I2S, AES, BNC, and Coax SPDIF, and 4) a Schiit EITR outputting Coax SPDIF.  Different power supplies have been used on the streamers, including the Uptone LPS-1.  I haven't tried the LPS-1.2 yet, but heard it's great.

Note: All those streamers I mentioned (especially current ones like the microRendu and ultraRendu, for instance) are awesome products, and in no way am I putting them down.  I still think they sound great.

Thanks for the post @clipper. Just to be clear, are you saying you are now happier with the Allo signature than all of the above that you tried? 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

... Someone has to be, I guess ?

Exactly as you say, the 5v iPower (at least for me, too) is sonically much better than the Allo wall wart (as it should be given the cost difference) and the Signature is a biiig improvement over the standard DigiOne.

IME experience you will not be disappointed with the battery supply! ??

What I find such a marvel is how good the Signature is in any form, and the better we can power it the better it gets. ? Like you, I’m eagerly awaiting the Allo power supply!

3 hours ago, RX8R3ROD said:

... Someone has to be, I guess ?

Exactly as you say, the 5v iPower (at least for me, too) is sonically much better than the Allo wall wart (as it should be given the cost difference) and the Signature is a biiig improvement over the standard DigiOne.

IME experience you will not be disappointed with the battery supply! ??

What I find such a marvel is how good the Signature is in any form, and the better we can power it the better it gets. ? Like you, I’m eagerly awaiting the Allo power supply!

I have no idea what the Allo power supply will look like and how it will be priced but, among the commercial units available today, the LPS-1.2 seems like a perfect match for the DigiOne Signature.

What I find disappointing is that Allo are not offering any form of trade-up scheme for DigiOne owners. A trade-up scheme would not need to warrant significant monetary advantages to DigiOne owners. Rather, it could be a means of avoiding the proliferation of electronic garbage and of ensuring proper recycling of obsolete products.

I would like to see Allo setting new standards in matters of environment-aware manufacturing and trading. I would expect that part of the price that we payed for the DigiOne was to make sure that our devices will be taken back and properly refurbished or recycled when we opt to replace them with newer and more advanced products.    

I totally agree with you that a manufacturer trade-up scheme would be great, and the more environmentally-friendly products, and their recycling are, the better for us all. ??

But I look at all the Hi-Fi equipment I have, or have had, and manufacturer-backed trade-up schemes are unfortunately barely more common than hen’s teeth ... 

If hi-end companies, with highish margins (albeit minuscule volumes) can’t / won’t do it, I wonder what hope has Allo? ?

But it would be great if they could, and it would set yet another example of what’s possible without spending a fortune. ? In the meantime eBay helps IMHO.

For the present I’ve hung onto my Digione and spare Pi, as it serves as a useful reference.

3 hours ago, nbpf said:

What I find disappointing is that Allo are not offering any form of trade-up scheme for DigiOne owners. A trade-up scheme would not need to warrant significant monetary advantages to DigiOne owners. Rather, it could be a means of avoiding the proliferation of electronic garbage and of ensuring proper recycling of obsolete products.

Allo was asked this question on the Roon Board and they decided to temporarily give a 10% discount (which basically covers shipping from India). Allo offered this discount in response to your question about having already purchased the DigiOne, but when they gave the code, it was oriented to the Roon users. I think the code was "Roon10" or something like that.

Just to put in a good word for Allo - this is more of a "hobbyist" product company than a regular audio products company. They obviously charge less (as evidenced by our joy at more "bang for the buck" compared to other steamers) and we, as grateful customers, might want to show some respect for this by not "nickel-and-diming" them. Even offering 10% - kind of a token gesture - isn't all that much. But regardless of the discount or no discount, what an audio value!!!

(For the record, I purchased the DigiOne Player with acrylic case, then the metal case (which was later discounted when purchased as part of the DigiOne Player) and then the DigiOne Signature Player.)

Just my two cents...

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

10 hours ago, clipper said:

You're welcome.

And yes,  I am happier with the Signature.

Many Thanks, that’s interesting info. ?

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

On 10/16/2018 at 12:12 AM, clipper said:

Hi.

Before the DigiOne Signature, I have streamed (or sent audio from one computer to another over Ethernet, where computer 2 is the one hooked up to the DAC) via 1) 2 computers running JPLAY; 2) a computer sending to a Wandboard and outputting via USB; 3) a computer sending to various NUCs and outputting via USB; 4) a computer sending to a microRendu; 5) a computer sending to an SOtM sMS-100; 6) a computer sending to an sMS-200; 7) a computer sending to an ultraRendu; ? a computer sending to an Allo DigiOne; and 9) a computer sending to an Allo USBridge.

The streamers have been hooked up to DACs directly via USB, and have also been tried with 1) a Berkeley Alpha USB outputting via AES and BNC, 2) a Singxer F-1 outputting via Coax SPDIF, 3) a Singxer SU-1 (powered by an LPS-1) outputting via I2S, AES, BNC, and Coax SPDIF, and 4) a Schiit EITR outputting Coax SPDIF.  Different power supplies have been used on the streamers, including the Uptone LPS-1.  I haven't tried the LPS-1.2 yet, but heard it's great.

Note: All those streamers I mentioned (especially current ones like the microRendu and ultraRendu, for instance) are awesome products, and in no way am I putting them down.  I still think they sound great.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

On 10/17/2018 at 6:28 AM, pjmcos said:

Hi, 

Has anyone used the ifi purifier 1 or 2 in series with a walwart PSU to feed the clean power input

of digione signature? Any thoughts? 

Just to add to the question of what the iPurifier does, here's a pic of the output from the iPower 12v regulated to 5v and further filtered, followed by the addition of the DC iPurifier 2.

Quite a worthwhile improvement, and from these you maybe wouldn't be surprised to learn you hear somewhat moredetail and ambience?

5 ps output 7mhz.jpeg

5 ps output peak hold after iPurifier 7mhz.jpeg

Hi,

i have got the signature.

It works stable with volumio and max2play, but raspi shows undervoltage.

Max2play software tells me, raspi has correct power but raspi led is still flashing.

I am using two original allo power supplies.

Is there a defekt on the signature?

Should i change it?

Thanks

Hi

we are protecting the power rails using diodes that have some small drop in voltage. Depending on the software you might get the "undervolatge" but unit was designed to work correctly even if you see that led flashing (so we are above the threshold)

So yes digione works correctly .

Hi, thanks a lot.

I changed digione to digi ne signaturesome weeks ago.

Before i used project streambox ds net and i can compare both, giving signal to da-converter violetric v800.

I guess, digi one sig. makes the music a little more clear and gives more room. Comparing to the da integratet to project streambox it is defintive better sound.

It is the da converter, that "makes " the sound, so take a good one - my opinion.

Spend money on the power supply? I was part of some "blind auditions" - i never realized a better sound, using expensive parts.

Why did i change the streamer?

Projects software is awful!

Now i can try different setups with different software, at this time volumio is running and works fine.

And any  highenders as bryston or krell (i guess) use the raspberry but i dont like to spend that money - why shuold i, raspi and digione are working great

Hi Volker

you are using the SMPS to power both sides of Sig. This is far from ideal.

I would sugest buying some inexpensive batteries (2 sets) and use one to power the "clean side" and the other set to charge, at only 65ma its not that hungry.

You should get a significant improvement in SQ , for a minimal cost

7 hours ago, RX8R3ROD said:

... hard to believe as it is (and given how good the Digione is, it is pretty hard, isn’t it?), it really can! ?

I agree with RX8R3ROD on both issues.

1) A good power supply on the clean side makes a big difference.  

2) I have both (a Digione and Digione Signature), and the Signature sounds a whole lot better.

These "findings" have been consistent when using the Digione and Digione Signature with 3 different DACs.  

OK people, what exact battery models are you using?

I have a pair of Samsung 30Q which sound great, but I got the Allo 4 battery pack and for some reason, it's impossible to find the 30Q on Amazon in the UK anymore... So recommendations about other brands/models for the signature would be appreciated, thank you! 

Need to be flat head ones :)