Jump to content
pjmcos

Allo Digione Signature

Recommended Posts

That’s great to hear. ??

 

I must admit I have both clean and dirty sides powered from a mains filter box, and I sometimes just turn it on and off, so that turns both on and off together ... and all seems to work ok (so far, anyway?).

 

I do share your thought that the usb c connectors perhaps look a little fragile, though I guess that once the question of what compromises optimum power is more or less settled they probably don’t get too much pushing and pulling after that? 

 

But I have nevertheless dressed my power cables to try and minimise strain on the connectors.

 

Look forward to hearing how you find the batteries in your tests ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, burmar said:

Hi
I would like to go in the clean side with a couple of batteries 18650, but i measured them with a tester and the out voltage is 8.27V, not 7.4 like it must to be (3.7 x 2), at full charge they are 4.1 each one.
Is it safe for the digione?

Yes safe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, burmar said:

Well, the battery power works perfectly, i could'not test it very well 'cause the late hour, but tomorrow i'll do it better...

Question: I know you must power on 1st the clean side and after the dirty one

what about power off? 1st dirty and then clean?

 

Another thing, it seems to me that power connectors on digione are a little fragile, is it only an impression? ?

Generally speaking clean power first...but since RPI tales a few seconds to boot you can also connect clean power a few seconds after. Powering both in the same time satisfies the clean power first (RPI boot time delay)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, allo.com said:

Generally speaking clean power first...but since RPI tales a few seconds to boot you can also connect clean power a few seconds after. Powering both in the same time satisfies the clean power first (RPI boot time delay)

So, just to be clear

Power on = 1st clean and 2nd dirty (or maybe at the same time)

Power off = 1st clean and 2nd dirty (or maybe at the same time)

 

is it right? thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RX8R3ROD said:

I must admit I have both clean and dirty sides powered from a mains filter box, and I sometimes just turn it on and off, so that turns both on and off together ... and all seems to work ok (so far, anyway?)?

Me too, but my mains filter box power on even dac, pre and power amplifiers... so it's not nice to power off all the stuff just to change sd card on raspy... ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, burmar said:

So, just to be clear

Power on = 1st clean and 2nd dirty (or maybe at the same time)

Power off = 1st clean and 2nd dirty (or maybe at the same time)

 

is it right? thanks!!

Only things that matter is power on sequence (you can power off however you want)

 

  Clean side first (or both in the same time , or while RPI boots/about 5 sec). As you can see its not very restrictive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, allo.com said:

Only things that matter is power on sequence (you can power off however you want)

 

  Clean side first (or both in the same time , or while RPI boots/about 5 sec). As you can see its not very restrictive.

Perfect, thanks so much!!!! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SparkSpark

hi again.

By looking at your pictures, seems to me that the bottom plate is upside down.

You just need to flip it.

Then the side walls will fit in the indentations.

if you look at the bottom plate, the one with the 4 extra holes for the RPI, you will see that on one side there is 1 rectangular indentation (corresponds to the 2 x dual USB and ethernet wall) and on the other end there are 2 (corresponds to the SD card wall insert).

See image

Let me know how it goes by emailing me at [email protected]

 

 

 

 

 

 

DScase.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, allo.com said:

Only things that matter is power on sequence (you can power off however you want)

 

  Clean side first (or both in the same time , or while RPI boots/about 5 sec). As you can see its not very restrictive.

Just to understand 

If powered on in the wrong sequence what's happen? 

Just not working or blow up? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RX8R3ROD said:

Look forward to hearing how you find the batteries in your tests ?

Batteries power gives to signature a greater control on bass and clean even more all the sound, imho it's an upgrade on the upgrade against the linear power supply.

Allo did a great job with this little hat!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RX8R3ROD said:

Really pleased the batteries work for you! ?

 

They sound great, don’t they? 

 

And yes, didn’t they do a great job with this little hat!! ??????

How many time batteries can power up digione? do you know how many hours of playing? (i'm talking about a couple of 18650)

Yes, they sound great... this is for sure ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I’m not sure exactly how long, as it will depend on your specific 18650’s and their MAh rating, which seems to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I believe I read somewhere the Signature draws ~65 mAh (say 100 to be on the safe side) and if your batteries are 2,500 - 3,000 mAh capacity, that’s quite a few hours listening if you remember to disconnect your battery supply when you’re finished listening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds good to me. I suspect some batteries might be a bit more optimistically labelled than others, and so might not quite deliver their full promise, but even so you still get a pretty decent playing time. ??

 

I bought a charger from Amazon (where else, I guess ?) for about £25 that seems to charge a pair of batteries up pretty quickly, and claims to have all the fault protection stuff in built, which seemed like a pretty good deal.

 

BTW, based on my experience (but not verified in other systems, so this is a sample of one using my system and my good / bad / average electricity supply, mains cabling, etc.) you can go quite a significant step beyond even battery power using an iFi iPower (I used a 12V model) and then regulating that using a linear voltage regulator to 5v. When the LVR circuit is fronted by a 1F Supercapacitor and fed into the clean side, the results are (IME) spectacular.

 

My other half, who is rightly fairly cynical about a lot of Hi-Fi lore and ‘upgrades’, said she could hear the improvement immediately, and her foot started tapping to songs she normally wouldn’t enjoy.

 

You can, I think, summarise it by saying it makes the timing much better. For example subtle drum patterns become much more apparent (or hitherto seeming random drum beats or brushes or maracas / etc now appear as part of a distinct pattern) and keep the rhythm even when the going gets loud. For example, on Texas’ “I don’t want a lover” the drum beats with reverb are so much clearer in a ‘skin strike, drum body resonates, decay’ sense, and really drive the song along, and keep on doing so when the guitars, synths, etc all crash in. I’ve heard this on many systems, some costing a great deal of money, and few that I’ve heard can manage this to the same degree as the Signature powered as described. ??

 

The Signature can just seemingly keep on giving more and more performance!! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RX8R3ROD said:

 

BTW, based on my experience (but not verified in other systems, so this is a sample of one using my system and my good / bad / average electricity supply, mains cabling, etc.) you can go quite a significant step beyond even battery power using an iFi iPower (I used a 12V model) and then regulating that using a linear voltage regulator to 5v. When the LVR circuit is fronted by a 1F Supercapacitor and fed into the clean side, the results are (IME) spectacular.

 

I got an ifi-power 5V output... do you really think it's better than batteries? ?

I'm using it to power up raspy at the moment and i didn't try it on clean side of digione

 

Yes, timing, cleaning and chance to follow perfectly all instruments inside a track, it gives great and good food to dac input, so dac can work at its best possible (or nearly)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say that using a 5v iPower to power the clean side isn’t as good as 18650 batteries.

 

I have tried powering the clean side using a 5 v iPower, a 9v iPower plus an iFi Nano USB 3.0 (which gives 5v out at <0.5uV noise ), and a 9v iPower plus iFi DC iPurifier 2 plus Nano USB 3.0. All of these with the Swenson dc grounding mod. None of these IME were better than batteries on the clean side. The iPower options always sounded a bit too lightweight and ‘hazy’ timing-wise to me in comparison to batteries, and allowed louder sounds to modulate quieter ones.

 

I now use the last setup described above on the dirty side, where it does IME improve significantly on the Allo SMPS.

 

However, a 12V iPower regulated to 5V via an LDO and using some nice audio grade caps, and fronted by a sizeable supercapacitor (just compare it to the total capacitance inside your power amp ?) in my system (with my power supply, etc, and YMMV) really improves on the battery supply ... and you know how good that is ?

 

But as I mentioned, this is a sample of 1, I am very sensitive to timing in music playback (and I’m pretty sure not everyone finds it as important) and not all systems may necessarily respond similarly to mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, burmar said:

I got an ifi-power 5V output... do you really think it's better than batteries? ?

I'm using it to power up raspy at the moment and i didn't try it on clean side of digione

 

Yes, timing, cleaning and chance to follow perfectly all instruments inside a track, it gives great and good food to dac input, so dac can work at its best possible (or nearly)

We do not recommend IFI 5V. While the differential noise is close to 1uV (about 3uV at 5-20Khz bandwith) common mode noise is very bad at 3mV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello People,

Anyone using a USB power bank to power the clean side and is happy with it?

It's more convenient to charge it via USB.

 

I have a 20k Mah RAV power that's good but occasionally cuts out (and comes back) - I suspect the current draw of the Digione clean side is just barely enough to keep it going. Other batteries I tried just won't turn on... 

 

Any suggestions are appreciated. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SparkSpark said:

Hello People,

Anyone using a USB power bank to power the clean side and is happy with it?

It's more convenient to charge it via USB.

 

I have a 20k Mah RAV power that's good but occasionally cuts out (and comes back) - I suspect the current draw of the Digione clean side is just barely enough to keep it going. Other batteries I tried just won't turn on... 

 

Any suggestions are appreciated. 

 

I don't like too much power banks... they got inside some regulators and introduce noise... imho

Better simple batteries...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...