IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Rexp said:

Interesting that this chain won best of show at Axpona: turntable->Seta phono preamplifier->Lynx Hilo ADC->Mac Mini/Pure Vinyl->Lynx Hilo DAC directly driving the power amplifiers>vandersteen speakers. The live AD/DA apparently sounded way better than the stored files. 

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/axpona-2019-analog-sources/

If that is true then a needle drop of those files made with the Lynx should sound just as good. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 8 months later...
39 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

When I hear folks like MF claim that digital is flat, hard and lifeless compared to vinyl, I just shake my head and wonder what he is listening too. I have had vinyl guys over to hear my room and they are godsmacked with how great digital can sound, especially well mastered cds. There are many wonderful sounding DACS available and some great playback software. Good equipment and a great room environment will get you great sound these days.

A bit unfair about MF. He has a great digital (SACD) setup. He doesn't dislike digital. He dislikes CD. He likes lots of hi-res and has even said there are hi-res versions of albums he prefers to the vinyl version, or at least thinks they are the equal. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

9 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Could it be said that some amount of Fremer's notoriety comes from his disdain for CDs?  I think even if he heard a CD he liked that he would be reluctant to taint his legacy.

image.png.33c06cddc803508ed064d636c7b04b1f.png

He has CD's he likes. But I think he always will say the vinyl version sounds better. Even if it is from a digital source.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 8:03 PM, tmtomh said:

And there's the early 2000s DVD-A and SACD mastering, which is really excellent.

That DVD is really good sounding, IMO.

Here's the DR result:

log date: 2020-01-24 18:20:10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Fleetwood Mac / Rumours - 96k from DVD-A
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
DR9       -0.18 dB   -11.81 dB      2:44 01-Second Hand News
DR11       0.00 dB   -13.23 dB      4:15 02-Dreams
DR14       0.00 dB   -16.38 dB      2:03 03-Never Going Back Again
DR9        0.00 dB   -10.12 dB      3:12 04-Don't Stop
DR8        0.00 dB    -9.56 dB      3:39 05-Go Your Own Way
DR10       0.00 dB   -13.50 dB      4:33 06-Silver Springs
DR11       0.00 dB   -14.39 dB      4:27 07-The Chain
DR9        0.00 dB   -11.59 dB      3:32 08-You Make Loving Fun
DR10       0.00 dB   -12.13 dB      3:13 09-I Don't Want To Know
DR11       0.00 dB   -14.54 dB      3:55 10-Oh Daddy
DR10       0.00 dB   -13.34 dB      5:08 11-Gold Dust Woman
DR14      -0.11 dB   -19.18 dB      3:23 12-Songbird

Yes, there's some volume limiting, but not too much.