IGNORED

How much does it cost to be an audiophile?

1 hour ago, Solstice380 said:

Sadie’s has the best Carne Adovada.  It’s a nice , newer building that they are in.  Started out as the restaurant in the bowling alley down the street.  After it got to the point where there was always an hour wait they built their own place.

Please tell Sadie not to disfigure the Spanish, they must use the name Carne Adobada and no Adovada ...

Adobada (Spanish) = Marinated (English).

Adovada (Spanglish) ?

Spain and each Latin country uses different names for the definition of the same thing, but I do not like how they change the spelling ! Although that meat has very good flavor ?

Roch

Personally would define IQ as "the state of happiness".

I once commented in this forum that I was married to a clinical psychologist. When she was doing her practice she decided to use me to do her first IQ test. I had a tremendous flu, it was late at night and I was very tired, however I decided to take it ... The next morning she had the result, I was the closest thing to a donkey ... and added, "that it's because of you smoke and drink a lot and you work like a donkey ... " OK", I replied, "but I'm a happy donkey ..." ?

Roch

14 minutes ago, mansr said:

All true, but an IQ test doesn't account for the effects of long-term experience. Reaching one's limit in a particular area of problem solving can take years.

This is called scientific obsession.

Like me, trying to figure out why USB cables sound different ?

Roch

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Have you tried that $6,000 one yet ?

They stole it from me at customs ?   Maybe they thought they had diamond inside and it was just Litz cable with 99.99999999% purity, very rare. Dr. krishnamurti from India spent 9 years, 9 months, 9 days, 9 hours, 9 minutes and 9 seconds manufacturing it.

But the truth is that I am very happy with my Lush ! 

Roch

7 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Smartness isn't the same as happiness (unless you include emotional IQ I guess). You could have either or neither.

But the donkey reference reminded me of an Einstein quote "Well-being and happiness never appeared to me as an absolute aim. I am even inclined to compare such moral aims to the ambitions of a pig."

My comment was just an irony, but if I have to choose ...

You need to be smart to be happy, although it seems a redundancy.

No pain, no gain is cruel  ?

Roch

1 minute ago, AudioDoctor said:

There is recent research that says the opposite.

Talking about recent researches you remind me of my ex...?

The presidential elections in my country just happened, and the millennials won. A joke was made about this generation, who called it "the generation that did not know the Merthiolate ..." When I was young, many, many moons ago, when you suffered a scratch or wound they put Merthiolate, which hurt more than the wound.

On reflection we need some pain !

Roch

5 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

not it - 

humans can out run any other animal

...under certain conditions

Long distances - in the heat, with plenty of water - 3 factors often found in Africa, where humans evolved

BTW, tribesman in E. Africa used to run down cheetahs to capture them

people often take their dogs for a jog, and unfortunately sometimes kill the dogs

The dogs do not die when they chase, for long distances, to their bitches.

Those who die by their masters doing jogging commit suicide ?

Roch

3 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

The Mongols were stopped as soon as they started hitting forests rather than open plains where they could find a lot of open feeding ground for their horses.  They did penetrate somewhat into Europe, but not far.  If we're giving out book recommendations here, a good book to read is Genghis Khan and the Making of The Modern World.

Does not match the Netflix series !!!

Roch

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

300?

If 300 (I asked my health insurance provider) the prime I have to pay is higher than the benefits.  My break-in point is 250 years, but for that I have to live in Dr. Sears Longevity Clinic in Florida (for the rich & famous that I'm not) and so expensive than I rather quit smoking now!

By the way, there are still hopes for smokers and I live according to this article:

https://www.phillymag.com/be-well-philly/2013/01/23/smokers-guide-health-fitness/

I am also shortening the length of my cigarettes. Here is a picture of me when I was stressed:

396415567_Stressedsmoker.thumb.jpg.3260983ab4f30037d6a644e5d1258fbd.jpg

No wonder, stress is killing more people than cigarettes !

Anyway be carefully how you interpret statistics... If 67% of tobacco smokers die because of tobacco smoking, 33% don't...  Everything in this life is a risk, a calculated one and I'm an optimist ?

I forgot to tell you, three days after the IQ test that my ex-wife submitted to me, she told me that she had made a mistake in the calculations (she was never good at math) and that I had had a normal result. I went to see myself in the mirror and I did not notice any change in my face ?

Then, be carefully with all kinds of test, even the medical screen test.  I f something is out of your normal (or statistical) range, repeat it and, if possible, in a different lab !

And, of course, be carefully with statistics. Normally, trying to save money, they use very small samples and on the other hand, many of the subjects in the studio lie. I have worked in that some time of my life !!!

Roch