IGNORED

Why does SPDIF basically suck?

4 hours ago, mansr said:

Really? What was it meant for then, and why has been used on Philips CD players since the mid 80s?

Sorry, was thinking about I2S at the time.  Doesn’t change my opinion of S/PDIF though.  A lot of effort is required to at both transmit and receive end to make it perform well, and then the are stil issues with the cable, etc.  No denying that, unless generated right in the computer,  S/PDIF adds another unnecessary conversion in the chain.

1 hour ago, Summit said:

And still you use I2S (which was not made to be used externally), so it’s possible (I guess) to improve the design like has been done with LVDS I2S.

Well I2S internally--right from the Ethernet or USB input board--with master clocking done right.

I2S (via LVDS over HDMI) is rarely done in ideal fashion as the source ends up as the master clock (very few DACs feed master clock out to slave the I2S source).

I personally presently use I2S external (modified Singxer SU-1 feeding I2S/DSD over LVDS/HDMI cable to Holo Spring L3) because the Crystek CCHD-575 clocks in the Singxer are a lot better than the clocks in the Spring (and/or the USB input of the SU-1 is better).

There is nothing preventing an enterprising manufacturer/designer from developing a more ideal--and yet still operating system "sound card driver" compatible--two piece solution with....  (oops.  :ph34r:  shhh... B|).

3 hours ago, mansr said:

If you ignore drift, you'll need to either drop or insert samples whenever the clocks slip by more than a sample period. The S/PDIF spec requires a frequency accuracy of 1000 ppm for the sender. Suppose your local clock is running at a perfect 48 kHz while the sender is at the upper end of the permitted range, that is 48048 Hz. Every second, you'll be receiving 48 samples more than you know what to do with. You have no choice but to discard them, and this causes distortion.

Or you can do what @JohnSwenson did for the unique S/PDIF input of the Bottlehead DAC, which was to use an FPGA instead of a traditional S/PDIF receiver with its jitter-prone PLL.  He did a little cleanup of the S/PDIF signal then sent it into an FPGA for the decoding. But the special part was that he’s used a digitally controlled low phase-noise clock, with performance close to some of the best fixed frequency clocks. The FPGA told the variable clock to speed up or slow down so it was synchronized to the average data rate of the source.  It was a REALLY good S/PDIF input!

5 hours ago, mansr said:

Yes, this [using an FPGA and variable-rate clock] is a well-known and obvious approach. The point is that you must do something to synchronise with the source clock.

If that is “well known and obvious,” can you point us to any other commercial DACs that implement this technique?  It actually was not that easy to develop.

36 minutes ago, Summit said:

SPDIF doesn’t suck!

I certainly never said it did.  I don't see the world in back-and-white. 9_9

My original point was simply that, unless one is producing a really good, well clocked S/PDIF single right in the source computer (eschewing USB altogether), the choice to use S/PDIF is just a choice to do USB>I2S>S/PDIF conversion externally--and to then require another S/PDIF>I2S conversion in the DAC.

Between elimination of stages and the ability to slave an internal USB>I2S board to the DAC master clock, there would seem to be very few decent arguments in favor of using an external DDC.  The only valid argument I have ever heard was that the DAC designer's USB (or Ethernet) input did not have enough effort put into it.

Cheers,

--AJC

14 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

What's better than asynch USB straight to the galvanically isolated DAC without any extra do dads or gizmos involved?

Remember, DACs which have digital isolators (what you refer to as galvanic isolation) ALWAYS have them on the I2S lines AFTER the USB input PHY/processor. (So far the ONLY exception to that is the new Auralic Vega G2, which uses the same Silanna isolator chip as our ISO REGEN, right at the input.)

Anticipating your likely answer, my Regen is out of the signal path gathering dust.  Do you want to buy it back?

No but I’ll sell you the much more advanced ISO REGEN. :P  Same 30-day money-back guarantee as you had with the original when you got it three years ago.

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

Please, @PeterSt isolates the Phasure NOS1a/G3 at the USB input 

Ah, forgetful me. Indeed the current Phasure includes a board (again with the Silanna chip) to pass USB through input isolation.  Does it go directly USB>I2S, or does the galvanicly isolated signal come back out to then get fed into the main USB input of the DAC?  I don’t recall.