IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

I really don’t want our inclusion of an SFP port to give people the impression that they need to run optical into the EtherREGEN to get great results. Copper is just fine.  The cable combination of John’s choice if magnetics and PHYs plus the active full isolation will deliver outstanding performance—beyond what is available in any other switch that we are aware of. B|

Yes but, use of an optical SFP on the clean side implies a second optical SFP and power supply on the streamer side to convert to copper media as few streamer's have SFP based nics. Another conversion to copper demands a fiber media converter, so it is a reasonable question to ask if a second EtherRegen can be used in this role.

Or is the SFP on the dirty side and the clean side is copper only? This is not stated directly in John's post above.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: Early general details [We are late but getting closer! ;-)]
  • 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, DelsFan said:

Thanks for your reply.  Does the same apply for the wireless router? 

I think my real question is:  Will the Streamer be allowed to communicate back and forth with the iPad, through the Wireless Router?  Isn't there usually some sort of security at the wireless router, and if the Streamer doesn't have the correct identification (password?) the Wireless Router won't allow the exchange of information with the "random" device upstream (in this case, the Streamer)?   Or is that security at the Modem?

Ethernet supply chain with EtherREGEN - quarter size.jpg

As drawn, this won't work, or if it does it is not secure.

The modem needs to be plugged into the wan port of the wireless router. This puts the firewall between the modem and the lan devices. The EtherRegen would be plugged into one of the lan ports in the same wireless router.

Also, if possible, plug the office computer directly into the wireless router as well separating office traffic from music traffic.

39 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

it doesn’t matter which’s is defining as front and rear will both have the same purpose

Alex, is this true? Is the etherregen power quality the same on both sides? Please don't answer if this is meant to be secret.

12 hours ago, Superdad said:

It's not like you to post such an unclear question Larry. :P

"Power quality?"  I mean we can discuss the various power networks throughout the EtherREGEN, including the 10+ LT3042/45 regulators being used to supply 22 chip voltage inputs.  

Or we can discuss the symmetricality of the data domains and how jitter reduction and clocking is accomplished.

So please rephrase and tell us what you are most interested in. :D

Thanks,

--Alex.

Well yes, power quality is what I am after. The claim was that the EtherRegen was symmetric suggesting one side was as clean as the other. As I understand there is one power input, and there is galvanic isolation from one side to the other, I was curious if power quality is the same on both sides.

In other words, if I connect two devices, will it matter which side faces the DAC vs. the other?

Thinking further, and power aside, is the clocking symmetric?

I appreciate that this is mostly theoretical as no one has heard the EtherRegen yet. Some of this may be proprietary as well.

U

Is the question clear now? 😎

27 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

But what you really want to know is if those 4 ports on that single side can “pollute” each other. Correct ?

Given the symmetry is already there between the sides. 

If you have one NAS, one server and one endpoint, with bridging they can be connected in a linear fashion with no need for using more than two spokes on each side of the EtherRegen hub. One could of course use 3 etheregens between 1) router and Nas 2) Nas and server 3) server and endpoint. 😉

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Alex, I'm getting mixed messages here. Are the A and B side symmetric (in terms of SQ) or not? It sounds like you're saying that it's not, and for max performance/SQ,

• the A side should be used for the upstream (router, upstream switch, bridged server, etc)
  • the single100Mbps port on the B side to the endpoint.

I recently posted a picture on another thread of my current setup, where I use 2 ports on what you would call the clean (or B) side: one to the endpoint/streamer, and one directly to the DAC. This enabled me to evaluate the benefit of the switch on an Ethernet DAC, and compare the Ethernet and USB inputs of the DAC, both paths benefiting from the switch. Here's the picture:

Audio-topology-qx5.png

My thought on how to replicate this with the EtherRegen - in the fulness of time! - was to reverse the A and B side: connect the upstream to the single port on the B side, and then connect the streamer and DAC in my picture to 2 of the 4 ports on the A side.

It sounds like that is bass-ackward and would be a suboptimal use of the EtherRegen.

Please clarify?

One could of course use 4 etheregens between 1) router and Nas 2) Nas and server 3) server and endpoint 4) endpoint and DAC!

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are getting much closer!!
7 hours ago, Superdad said:

I’m Alex, not John.

We are choosing to use a 75ohm BNC and approriate termination resistors (50ohm will be available as special order).  Specifications of the clock synthesizer have nothing to do with the input impedance of the external clock connection.

No, we are programming it for 10MHz as that is the frequency of virtually every available external reference clock. To set it for some other frequency would not make any sense.

Interesting question. John might have some other thoughts on this but I can state what I know:

We have positioned the clock synth (and the Crystek 575 which for 95%+ of EtherREGEN users will be the internal reference clock driving it) on the ‘B’ side (the one with the lone port). The external BNC port also comes in on the ‘B’ side of the moat. 

So while the clocking to ‘A’ and ‘B’ sides is equally ultra-low-jitter on both sides (remember all clocking runs on very tightly controlled differential lines), the power/ground domain the external clock connects to is the ‘B’ side (refer to the board photo I posted).

Thus if using an external reference clock it is probably better to also be using—as most people will typically—the ‘B’ side port for connection to the furthest downstream, DAC-attached renderer/endpoint.  Otherwise there is a chance the galvanic isolation will be defeated. It depends.

Thinking about this makes me wonder about external reference clocks which typically have multiple ports (I sure can’t imagine someone buying a $3,500 ref clock just for an EtherREGEN!).  Are the output grounds of those ports common to each other? This is an area I don’t yet know much about.

I suppose if common ground domains (and possible power supply loops between a clock and upstream gear) are an issue, it is possible that performance may be better just using the EtherREGEN’s internal reference clock. 

[That may be the case anyway since jitter/phase-noise at the end of a long clock cable may be worse than from the internal clock.]

Please be careful about getting too hung up on ultimate clocking—whch in fact our circuitry is already very close to.  We think the “magic” of the EtherREGEN’s performance will come from the total leakage blocking of the active-isolated, dual data/power/clock domains—plus all the care we put into choosing magnetics, voltage regulators, logic chips and all the differential signaling.

As I’ve said, this is an Ethernet switch unlike ANY other. 9_9

While I know this isn't the place, I have never seen a discussion of the impact of the hub based clock cabling schemes on Galvanic Isolation. It would be interesting to learn the facts about this once and for all.

Maybe this is a good "Novel" thread topic as many there have external clocking experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!
1 hour ago, Jud said:

I think I hear a difference with some of these things (some I've liked, and some I haven't); I may well be wrong. But if I'm wrong, my mistaken opinion of how my system sounds is most pleasant! :) 

I always liked the joke about the distraught parents who take their child to the psychiatrist because she thinks she's a chicken. When the psychiatrist voices confidence in a quick cure, the parents hesitate, and when the psychiatrist looks at them quizzically, the father explains with some embarrassment, "We like the eggs."

I like the eggs.  ;) 

Meanwhile, though @Superdad started us off, perhaps we ought to get back to EtherREGEN....

My suspicion is that someday we will learn that some people are music blind, or hear in various shades of gray.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, EVOLVIST said:

No, no, no...absolutely no. I totally dropped out of that conversation about the EtherREGEN after two posts, I believe, both of which did not seek answers. One post expressed for people to cool out on both sides of the argument. The other expressed my curiosity about amplifier measurements, whereupon I moved out of that thread and started talking amps.

So...no.

...and no, I love my Linn. I don't care what anybody says. It's paid for, so why not keep it? :)

If you haven't sold or returned your EtherRegen, I'd be curious to hear the results of a second trial after the firmware is updated.

You may be surprised.