IGNORED

Headphones vs Speakers.....Go!

12 minutes ago, hdo said:

You need to take laws of physics into account: inertia and momentum of drivers. Speaker drivers are very heavy. They cannot move fast to produce accurate sound. This is well-known fact! That's why they adopt alternative technology such as magnetic planar and electro-static. Electro-static force is very weak force. So it cannot generate volume. Magnetic planar uses stronger magnetic force. Perfect for headphones. But it cannot extend to speaker level naturally. You need over-engineering like Magnepan speakers.

Yet quality speakers sound better and more natural than headphones could ever hope to sound. 

As far as I am concerned, headphones are for when you can't disturb others or for people that don't have the budget to buy a properly 2 channel setup.

19 minutes ago, Nordkapp said:

Just curious why you are so hell bent on trashing HPs? Do you work for some 2 channel consortium? We fully understand your position. You've expressed it here ad nauseam. Your position is not universal. Accept it please. And stop trashing others who happen to enjoy them. 

This is not a zero sum game. I love headphones and I use them a lot! I just think that speakers sound way better and much prefer them to headphones.

I find that a proper speaker/room setup with the right amp kills headphones in bass reproduction. Multiple transducers are the way to go here as there is no way that one transducer can handle the entire audible range. And let's not forget that proper bass reproduction is as much about what you feel as what you hear. This, again, is where headphones lack realism. Headphones offend me the most though is how the soundstage is presented: completely unrealistic. Sure, it can be really cool sounding...but just not life like.

52 minutes ago, esldude said:

Again every approach involves some compromises and every approach has problem areas to be overcome to achieve good sound quality.  You don't have to tell un-truths about speakers to say you prefer headphones or even to say headphones have some very good qualities. 

Yes! As I said before, this is not a zero sum game.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@Em2016 and @STC

Let's not conflate professionals composing, recording, mixing, and mastering with the consumers listening to music in their homes. Because they are not even close to being the same thing.

Also, unless you can show me that even 25 percent of the industry composes, records, mixes, and masters tracks and albums using headphones, all you are doing is saying that a few people use headphones for these activities. In other words, exceptions don't invalidate the rule.