IGNORED

SGC - sonicTransporter Series and Signalyst HQPlayer 4 Embedded

I'm using oldest NUC i5 running with Windows 10 as a Roon Server and HQPlayer Desktop installed, and UltraRendu with HQPlayer NAA actived.

How the NUC has some gaps, I have plan to change the NUC to SonicTransport i5.   
Will be a good choice?   Can I look to this like a simple change of unit, keeping all of capacity that I have today and keeping the UltraRendu (HQPlayer NAA actived)?  

Also, could I use HQPlayer embedded on ST, actived togheter with Roon Server like on Windows, but with "no" UltraRendu connected?

Thanks a lot !!

30 minutes ago, EduZ said:

I'm using oldest NUC i5 running with Windows 10 as a Roon Server and HQPlayer Desktop installed, and UltraRendu with HQPlayer NAA actived.

Will be a good choice?   Can I look to this like a simple change of unit, keeping all of capacity that I have today and keeping the UltraRendu (HQPlayer NAA actived)?  

Also, could I use HQPlayer embedded on ST, actived togheter with Roon Server like on Windows, but with "no" UltraRendu connected?

Thanks a lot !!

Why not install ROCK on that NUC as a start ? 😀

You may like to wait with purchase a SonicTransporter until it’s available with fiber interface. (This is not officially confirmed). 

1 hour ago, EduZ said:

Thanks a lot !!

Hi,

I use an i7 Sonictransporter with Roon Server and HQPe and it works very well indeed as a combination.

Obviously, with the i5 version, the use of upsampling and filters in HQPe will be somewhat limited, but that is not an issue if you’re not striving for upsampling to DSD256, DSD512 or PCM384 with any of the more onerous filters.

I cannot say for sure, but I suspect the STi5 doesn’t allow direct connection to a DAC and therefore needs to work in tandem with a Roon endpoint like your UltraRendu.

If you can stretch to the STi7, I’d recommend you do so - as Roon Server will only get more computationally power hungry with future updates.

I dare say a NUC running ROCK is a more affordable way to go (if you can stomach the regular windows updates). I recall that I felt extravagant going for a ready-made solution - that is until I saw the price of a Roon Nucleus+, and now I feel like I’ve selected an optimum cost-effective route given my lack of practical computer skills!

On 4/22/2019 at 3:44 PM, R1200CL said:

Why not install ROCK on that NUC as a start ? 😀

You may like to wait with purchase a SonicTransporter until it’s available with fiber interface. (This is not officially confirmed). 

Really I think that should have difference to play HQPlayer Desktop on Windows vs HQPlayer embedded on ST.

Another doubt:  to keep UltraRendu plays as HQPlayer NAA I need keep a Windows machine running the HQPlayer Desktop, right?   Could I use the ST to this necessity?

I will think to make NUC as ROCK..

Thanks guy !!!

On 4/22/2019 at 4:31 PM, BlueDL said:

Hi,

I use an i7 Sonictransporter with Roon Server and HQPe and it works very well indeed as a combination.

Obviously, with the i5 version, the use of upsampling and filters in HQPe will be somewhat limited, but that is not an issue if you’re not striving for upsampling to DSD256, DSD512 or PCM384 with any of the more onerous filters.

I cannot say for sure, but I suspect the STi5 doesn’t allow direct connection to a DAC and therefore needs to work in tandem with a Roon endpoint like your UltraRendu.

If you can stretch to the STi7, I’d recommend you do so - as Roon Server will only get more computationally power hungry with future updates.

I dare say a NUC running ROCK is a more affordable way to go (if you can stomach the regular windows updates). I recall that I felt extravagant going for a ready-made solution - that is until I saw the price of a Roon Nucleus+, and now I feel like I’ve selected an optimum cost-effective route given my lack of practical computer skills!

Thank you!  You are totally rigth about the STi5 x STi7 to run DSD512 and filters. Because this will be my option.

Maybe will try make NUC as ROCK, but will be possible to install the HQPlayer this way?

Thanks !!

6 hours ago, EduZ said:

Maybe will try make NUC as ROCK, but will be possible to install the HQPlayer this way?

No

Then you need the SonicTransporter option. (And you should purchase HQPlayer from SMG as well). 

With NUC + ROCK, you will need another computer running either Linux or Windows in order to use HQPlayer. Then you can use your present HQPlayer license. Not so with SonicTransporter. 

47 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

No

Then you need the SonicTransporter option. (And you should purchase HQPlayer from SMG as well). 

With NUC + ROCK, you will need another computer running either Linux or Windows in order to use HQPlayer. Then you can use your present HQPlayer license. Not so with SonicTransporter. 

Its clear now.  For a moment I though that could be possible run HQP on ROCK..  So, keeping NUC Windows, an option should be to customize with Fidelizer or something like that.

On 4/25/2019 at 10:04 AM, R1200CL said:

No

I reluctantly purchased a second license (to cover HQPe) as I wanted a one-box Server solution. My desktop HQPe license is now redundant!

The optically networked version of my STi7 will be a tempting proposition when it goes to market........anyway, family holidays are so overrated aren’t they!! 🤣

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 2:18 PM, vortecjr said:

Yes.

So with an Optical out from the i7, I will not need the optical module to run to the optical Rendu?  And can I assume no disadvantage to using the other Ethernet port on the i7 with copper to the router?  How long before we see the optical i7?  I have been dragging my feet for almost a year on this.

Thanks, and keep up the product development!

14 minutes ago, jhellow said:

So with an Optical out from the i7, I will not need the optical module to run to the optical Rendu?  And can I assume no disadvantage to using the other Ethernet port on the i7 with copper to the router?  How long before we see the optical i7?  I have been dragging my feet for almost a year on this.

Thanks, and keep up the product development!

An optical sonicTransporter would allow direct connection to an opticalRendu. This assumes a built in optical module like the one planned (no eta). For now you have to use either a switch with an SFP port or an optical module to connect to an opticalRendu.

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

You have been asking for this for a while...what extensions will you be using?

7 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I like the Roon remote as a widget on my iPhone. It’s a faster way to control Roon I think. 

And I just waked up, using the Alarm Clock. 

I haven't studied all the new Extensions available yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 8:12 PM, vortecjr said:

Not sure yet, but my first try will be the CD ripper. I hope to get a pleasant surprise. 

Thank you for your hard work bringing us this feature. Cheers Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

I don't know if it is the right place for my question... I recently purchased a Merging Anubis Dac that operate with Ravenna Ethernet. In order to connect the Anubis to a source, you need to install the Ravenna/AES67 driver. I have my roon core on a STi7 and need to install the driver. Is it possible to install the Alsa Ravenna/AES67 driver on my SonicTransporter in the SonicOrbiter OS? Any experiences or suggestions?

17 minutes ago, Lotus67 said:

I don't know if it is the right place for my question... I recently purchased a Merging Anubis Dac that operate with Ravenna Ethernet. In order to connect the Anubis to a source, you need to install the Ravenna/AES67 driver. I have my roon core on a STi7 and need to install the driver. Is it possible to install the Alsa Ravenna/AES67 driver on my SonicTransporter in the SonicOrbiter OS? Any experiences or suggestions?

Good question. I am planning to get Anubis also.

To help @vortecjr and @agillis, these links might help:

https://www.merging.com/products/alsa_ravenna_aes67_driver

https://bitbucket.org/MergingTechnologies/ravenna-alsa-lkm/src/master/