IGNORED

Article: MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

30 minutes ago, mansr said:

The blue light goes on if the top 16 bits match the cryptographic signature. That's probably difficult to fake. Let's say it's impossible. All that means is the file has been passed through a genuine MQA encoder with the right private keys. It says nothing about what the input actually was. If you send an upsampled file for encoding, you'll get back a signed MQA file claiming to originate from whatever fake sample rate you provided.

So the whole assurance of provenance thing is just a story.  The blue light is assurance that the potential MQA DRM mechanism is intact.  The file is therefore considered genuine from an MQA perspective.  In the imagination of marketing spin, it's the sound of the studio.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

6 minutes ago, Archimago said:

The way I see it, the only way MQA can succeed will be in spite of consumer protests, not because of consumer support.

Your comment had me wondering which products have ever succeeded in spite of consumer protests?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

7 minutes ago, Archimago said:

The problem is that audiophiles who are trying to understand what is happening here have been made to jump through hoops to address the claims one by one without the assistance of the mainstream press - the ones we should hope are working for audiophiles as partners in truth, clarity, and education.

Kind of utopian.  It clearly doesn't work this way.  Did it ever?  We are on our own.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, crenca said:

Not a chance

When you go all-in 'birth of a new world',  you can't back out.  The cheerleaders are going down with the ship if it sinks.

I don't even think Iverson's point about being unable to evaluate deblurring and compression independently is a strong argument.  You first need to ask exactly what deblurring means in the first place and whether MQA actually does what it claims to do.

8 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

I was intending to examine the deblurring.

Were your readers not interested in this two years ago?