IGNORED

Understanding Sample Rate

5 minutes ago, crenca said:

This is the most concise summary of these realities I have ever read.  Really for the first time, I now understand why delta sigma DAC's are the norm in the market right now...thanks!!

I was talking about ADCs, but the same concepts apply in reverse too.

8 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

The more bits and/or the higher the sampling rate, the higher the resolution. That translates to a 20-bit 96kHz recording having roughly 33 times the resolution of a 16-bit 44.1kHz recording. No small difference.

That's a nonsensical comparison.

2 hours ago, Confused said:

How big is your shed?:|  In other news, I have just had the need to use some toilet paper, and with my curiosity peaked by your post, I checked for the country of manufacture, and all it says is "Manufactured for Waitrose", which while quite posh, leaves me none the wiser.  It's pretty good paper though, I'm very happy with it.

Sainsbury's toilet paper says it's manufactured in the UK.

15 minutes ago, buonassi said:

Sorry to be a noob here. Who is this person in the recording industry that is referred to as 'she' and 'her' in the last few pages of this topic? I did try and read back as well as use search tools to find the answer myself but wasn't successful. 

I'd like to seek out her work and have a listen myself. 

Cookie Marenco of Blue Coast Records. The recordings are excellent.

2 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Making "factually incorrect" statements does not make someone a liar,

No, not necessarily. If the person genuinely believes the statements to be true, he is not a liar. Someone who knowingly makes false statements is a liar. Since Gordon was talking about his own product, the only way for him to not be a liar is to be incompetent, which is just as good a reason to distrust him.

5 hours ago, Don Hills said:

Well, let's take the worst case and add an order of magnitude to be sure. Say 500 nano seconds.

1/(2pi * quantization levels * sample rate).

1/(2 pi * 8 * 44100) = 450 nano seconds if I've done the sum correctly.

That's 3 bits.

So even 3 bit encoding is more than enough as far as timing is concerned. You'd have trouble hearing a 3 bit (of 16) encoded signal at all, let alone discern a timing difference. And if you boosted it to normal listening levels it'd be too noisy to be called "hi fi". 

Can we agree that time resolution, even at 16/44.1, is a non issue?

I must correct you guys on one important thing regarding this calculation. The time accuracy depends on the frequency of the signal, not the sample rate. Instead of 44100 Hz in your formula, you must use the frequency of the signal. At 22050 Hz, 16-bit sampling gives an accuracy of 110 ps. At 1 kHz, it is about 2.5 ns. Another way of looking at it is that the sample precision determines the minimum detectable phase shift regardless of frequency. At higher frequencies, the same phase shift corresponds to a shorter time.

Just now, psjug said:

And for better time accuracy, 24 bit can give this without changing the sample rate.

Of course. Sample rate isn't even part of the calculation for time accuracy. Only signal parameters and sample precision matter. That said, the sample rate obviously needs to be high enough to capture the signal in the first place.

1 minute ago, esldude said:

I remember working thru this coming to the same conclusions.  People who should know better than me insisted the other formula was correct based upon sample rate.

They were wrong or answering a different question (what is the minimum time shift detectable an any frequency).

1 minute ago, esldude said:

In any case time resolution was below 10 microseconds people worry about. So I dropped it.

At 20 Hz we get a precision of 120 ns. Really nothing to worry about. Those minimum phase filters people seem to like do a lot more damage.

13 minutes ago, esldude said:

Robert Stuart uses the same formula.  Working the geometry of sine waves I had the same idea as mansr. And that amplitude would matter.

Seems obvious that a 10 khz sine that barely changes the next sample by 1 LSB would have too small a difference in the same time period at 5khz.

Correct, and amplitude matters too. In the formula, the figure for the number of levels should be in relation to the signal peak, which might be smaller than the maximum possible.