IGNORED

New Computer Audio Primer

I know there are still plenty of people who don't know exactly what Computer Audio is and what its benefits are so I created this Primer for Computer Audio.

There are also links for DIY with parts lists for exactly what is needed etc.

Enjoy.

Computer Audio

Just now, Samuel T Cogley said:

So not only are you trolling, but you're announcing that you're trolling?  Wow.

Did you read the primer? It’s not useful. I saw that the topic was being ignored — now it won’t be. I’m just trying to be truthful while not being overly aggressive.

Just now, GUTB said:

Did you read the primer? It’s not useful. I saw that the topic was being ignored — now it won’t be. I’m just trying to be truthful while not being overly aggressive.

Yes, I did read it.  It has some useful information and is far more informative than any of your output I've seen to date.

You understand that you're pretty much admitting that you troll to elevate threads, right?

1 minute ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Yes, I did read it.  It has some useful information and is far more informative than any of your output I've seen to date.

You understand that you're pretty much admitting that you troll to elevate threads, right?

....and yet you had nothing to say in this thread. Until now. If there’s trolling, it’s not from me.

It was a decent basic primer. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I thank the OP for sharing.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

• 2 months later...
On 08/02/2018 at 4:35 PM, Samuel T Cogley said:

Give him a break, he's already admited to being neurotic...

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

power supplies - low noise is good; toroids are often used - trust the engineers who designed your expensive equipment but verify that marketing did not mess with their efforts 

grounding - bring it all to a single ground point; avoid loops

isolation from AC line noise - it's good, but if you are close to a pole with a transformer & far from noise (R1 zone) maybe you don't need it

isolation from your component's noise - distance works but watch the impedance form a longer run; low noise power supplies work

isolation from idiots - use math & some knowledge of electronics

filtering - be gentle, but not too gentle

people obsess over electronics but should focus on acoustics & speakers

to thine own ear be true and then thou canst not be false to any wallet

let me think for a while and I may be able to come up with some other quotes Polonius's worthless fodder of platitudes

no wonder Hambone went crazy

54 minutes ago, chauphuong said:

Hi Dynobot,  thanks a log.  I use Volumio,  and am trying to improve sound following your instruction:

"Then go to /etc and insert the path into rc.local"

pls explain the bold text. Sorry I am linux illiterate. 

Then go to /etc and insert the path into rc.local. 

type the three commands below in an xterm window, hit ENTER after each command.

# cd

# cd /etc

# sudo nano rc.local

Then insert the path to your script as seen in green below.

Then ctrl+X to save Y to overwrite and finally ENTER.

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

power supplies - low noise is good; toroids are often used - trust the engineers who designed your expensive equipment but verify that marketing did not mess with their efforts 

grounding - bring it all to a single ground point; avoid loops

isolation from AC line noise - it's good, but if you are close to a pole with a transformer & far from noise (R1 zone) maybe you don't need it

isolation from your component's noise - distance works but watch the impedance form a longer run; low noise power supplies work

isolation from idiots - use math & some knowledge of electronics

filtering - be gentle, but not too gentle

people obsess over electronics but should focus on acoustics & speakers

to thine own ear be true and then thou canst not be false to any wallet

let me think for a while and I may be able to come up with some other quotes Polonius's worthless fodder of platitudes

no wonder Hambone went crazy

As far as power supplies I thought it was Toroids --> R-Core--> C-Core [best]

34 minutes ago, Dynobot said:

As far as power supplies I thought it was Toroids --> R-Core--> C-Core [best]

Toroids are best due to higher size efficiency and lower EMI pollution, but all configurations are good as long as they shielded properly.

On 08/02/2018 at 11:28 AM, GUTB said:

Not very useful. *

* I’m supposed to be negative. Take it is a sign that other members will now start pouring in to support you.

It's ok not to say what you are thinking sometimes. Nobody will die, if once in a while you keep your negative opinion to yourself.

Come on, try it. Just once to see what it feels like. 

3 hours ago, Dynobot said:

Then go to /etc and insert the path into rc.local. 

type the three commands below in an xterm window, hit ENTER after each command.

# cd

# cd /etc

# sudo nano rc.local

Then insert the path to your script as seen in green below.

Then ctrl+X to save Y to overwrite and finally ENTER.

Though I don't know what has been changed in Volumio,  I must say these help improve SQ not a little.  Thanks a lot 

1 hour ago, Indydan said:

It's ok not to say what you are thinking sometimes. Nobody will die, if once in a while you keep your negative opinion to yourself.

Come on, try it. Just once to see what it feels like. 

I breathed life into this thread.

This is useful info for someone who wants to get started with computer audio. Adding reams of info would just complicate and intimidate a newbie.

Dynobot, you should add more hardware suggestions to the Client/Server section, e.g. Sonore, SOtM, Auralic.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

1 minute ago, audiobomber said:

Dynobot, you should add more hardware suggestions to the Client/Server section, e.g. Sonore, SOtM, Auralic.

I've never tried those so I really can't endorse them.

I'm more of a DIY guy vs. Off-the-shelf...not to say one way is better than the other. But for me this is a hobby so I like more hands on.

I would recommend this though...at $119 it would be a great Music Server. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3RO6X5/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UAUN9AXXYBEH

61uSuWVSP0L._SL1200_.jpg

26 minutes ago, chauphuong said:

Any other tips for Volumio? 

Sure always more tweaks etc with Linux and MPD.

Take your time and read the Setting up ALSA and Fine tuning page as well as the page with Dietpi.

Both of those pages have references to go along with explanations on the tweaks.