IGNORED

MQA Off-Topic Spinoff

Abtr

4 hours ago, kumakuma said:

I'm actually having a hard time believing that you are actually Brian Lucey. ...

Sounds like him... It takes all kinds, in mastering as in any other profession.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/1108509-bored-norm-any-questions.html

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

Back to some topic ...

2 hours ago, Brian Lucey said:

This thread exists as I was attacked by some people here for all manner of things, when I was here only to discuss MQA.

Wait ... where was that ? Maybe it was on your mind to do that, but it never happened. OK, yesterday maybe. But that is not what you meant.

Ah, I recall something about there is one master only and it can't be improved upon (from less than a week ago I'd say). This urges the question : what master is THE one ? is it yours ? then we're f*cked.

So see, this is what happens when people start MANIPULATING (does this work ? :rolleyes:) the data. Question would be : where does this happen first in the workflow anno 2017 ? But it is difficult ...

So if about 100% of voices require a form of distortion these days, it can well be built into microphones. Now that won't be true, but virtually. So if we'd want to re-do the (master) mix and leave out the distortion, problem #1 would be that no singer can be recognized after that. Bad remix. Plus the singer most probably can not sing better than me. So it is unwanted.

To me it looks that the modern era is thus different from a while back. I mean, a while back people started to improve Bill Evans' recordings to the best of their capabilities. Today ? think of it. What the heck could be improved on what, without undesired result.

a while back people started to improve Bill Evans' recordings

What did I say there ? Already that does not work out anywhere. Same guys behind the wheel.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Having said that ...

14 hours ago, semente said:

I have mentioned this a few times: the dynamic range depends firstly on the musical programme (tune).

Also I seem to be one of the few that rates tonal balance higher than dynamic range. And some remastered recordings whilst more compressed than the first/original releases sound better - to me - because of a more natural, generally warmer/less bright balance. 

Ricardo, you should be in my listening room once in a while and notice how tonality and everything completely changes each other month - usually by different software settings only (or improved software, etc.). Really, radical changes. Or, those using the Lush USB cable can testify quite similar and - thus - a stupid USB cable can do such things and that in the general realm (not our software, not our DAC etc. etc.).

It goes the other way around : once you have "a best" neutral system, it is quite easy to notice that any pumped up Remaster is colored. It bores because of that same flavor all over and in the end it is "wrong".

IME of course (haha).

XXHighEnd (developer)

8 hours ago, esldude said:

I just wanted this up a second time to make sure it is seen. 

Of all the people I know who make music, including several Grammy winners, you’re the only one who has the time and likes to come on a forum and argue with people who’d much rather learn from you. You’ve managed to make people dislike you, who really wanted to like you. 

Who is he by the way?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

10 minutes ago, Teresa said:
10 hours ago, Brian Lucey said:

I hear nothing BUT real instruments in modern work, you just can't appreciate Picasso.

Perhaps you have not heard a recording which is audiophile from the microphones to the finished product? Compare such a recording to live and listen for yourself.

Nah, the problem has to be different. With the shyt all reaching the billsquash100, the mastering engineer can just as well use Bose milk packs and worse to judge his/her own work.

DO WE GET THAT ?

Do we agree ?

XXHighEnd (developer)

Just now, synn said:

Also, Picasso makes some of the ugliest “Art” I have ever seen as well.

WTF ? ... Karel Appel then ?

Ok, we go all the way via Van Gogh up to Rembrandt, if necessary. :ph34r:

XXHighEnd (developer)

9 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Having said that ...

Ricardo, you should be in my listening room once in a while and notice how tonality and everything completely changes each other month - usually by different software settings only (or improved software, etc.). Really, radical changes. Or, those using the Lush USB cable can testify quite similar and - thus - a stupid USB cable can do such things and that in the general realm (not our software, not our DAC etc. etc.).

It goes the other way around : once you have "a best" neutral system, it is quite easy to notice that any pumped up Remaster is colored. It bores because of that same flavor all over and in the end it is "wrong".

IME of course (haha).

I have little experience with rock&pop remasters but I understand that the landscape is quite grim.

The classical music remasters (EMI, Phiips, Decca, DG, Supraphon) I was referring to do sound more naturally balanced to my ears, and I don't notice that "trend" of an even colouration.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Why does it creep on me that this is going to be the funniest thread ever.

It looks like everybody is kidding the 60 year olds. Except for Brian of course. He is only 50. And some wiser guy who runs this forum.

Envision ... a whole group of 60's. We'd all get a discount in the diner !

Appel01.thumb.png.da1c86769bbf2e9c7dd2a854c788e714.png

Danse amoreuse by Karel Appel. He was a great visionair and saw us in his future.

PS; Chris, I can not imagine that this is not allowed to put in here (author rights) but delete the picture if you don't feel safe.

XXHighEnd (developer)

2 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Why does it creep on me that this is going to be the funniest thread ever.

It looks like everybody is kidding the 60 year olds. Except for Brian of course. He is only 50. And some wiser guy who runs this forum.

Envision ... a whole group of 60's. We'd all get a discount in the diner !

Appel01.thumb.png.da1c86769bbf2e9c7dd2a854c788e714.png

Danse amoreuse by Karel Appel. He was a great visionair and saw us in his future.

PS; Chris, I can not imagine that this is not allowed to put in there (author rights) but delete the picture if you don't feel safe.

With high enough DR, one might be able to make out a face in that...

Here is another one :

Appel02.thumb.png.0e178176ca9591ff18d92d050d83ea93.png

Little moon men.

But there Appel did not get it. Little moonING men. That's what we must be. But he was polite, back in 1946.

XXHighEnd (developer)

4 minutes ago, semente said:

Rock and other music (even jazz) hardly ever exists as a musical event to be recorded.

It generally consists of a mix of distinct (in tame and sometimes in place) recorded takes that are then combined in a desk.

Each instrument line and vocals is then EQ'ed and level and dynamic range adjusted to create what we call a recording which is in truth the music.

If the producer (and the artists) decided that the final product is to have a narrow dynamic range for artistic reasons then who are we to complain?

On the other hand, when a recording has a wide dynamic range and this is then squashed during mastering and/or remastering for release then we really have to stand up and shout!

Classical music on the other hand is most often recorded live, though generally not in front of an audience, with the ensemble playing simultaneously together in the same space.

And in my strongly opinionated view it should be picked up in a documental manner, so as to better give the domestic listener an impression of being present in the room where the original event took place. This means adequately positioned (distant), minimalist mic'ing.

R

Nothing I wrote contradicts anything you wrote here. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 minutes ago, synn said:

With high enough DR, one might be able to make out a face in that...

Oh wait again ... Brian, with some higher DR, I suppose shouting comes across, well, louder ?

XXHighEnd (developer)

1 minute ago, semente said:

Here's a better mastered version B| :

little-moon-men-1946.jpg

It IS better !

More noisy, but still louder as well. Well done !

(btw, this works the same with audio bbbbut ... there's a flavooooor)

XXHighEnd (developer)