IGNORED

USB jitter - why does it matter?

hi folks,

I'm putting together an 8 channel system with DDX amps for experimenting with ambisonics and multiway active setups.

since my background is computers and I've only recently forayed into audio, I'm a bit mystified by jitter and precision clocking.

I get that galvanic isolation and a separate, clean power source are important to the audio bits beyond the computer.

but I don't understand why the USB connection between such needs to have more than a reliable/accurate transfer of data.

does the jitter transmit stray signals into the latter stages?  if not, then the only place high precision clocks are warranted is in driving the DAC or DDX stage.

surely any USB implementation is sufficient with the data adequately buffered.

reclockers?! iPurifiers?!   pah - audio voodoo!

I'm cynical but ready to be enlightened!

thanks....

47 minutes ago, Sound Hound said:

I'm cynical but ready to be enlightened!

mansr needs to be too, but it would be a waste of time trying to enlighten him. :P

Items such as the USB Regen, when used in conjunction with cleaner power , and USB cables with improved isolation between D+ and D-, and the SMPS derived +5V supply, do result in improvements in SQ, but you need to read other areas of the forum, not just rely on advice from the usual sceptics in the General area of the forum ,where most sceptics appear to hang out and argue incessantly about the existence of God, Philosophy etc. , and very little to do with Computer Audio.

1,000s of C.A. members use devices such as the USB Regen etc. and higher quality USB cables and power supplies for them, and report improved results with USB Audio.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

No one has it really nailed for an authoritative scientific explanation yet why what is supposed to be perfect( digital playback)  isn't but the last 2 years have seen a steady improvement in sound using better USB converter tech and lower component noise, cleaner power for hardware renderer solutions. Unfortunately there are always foot draggers  who insist that if you can't provide/test the science now, what you hear can't be real. Science is often misused by marketing and sales as a way to close a sale... I've learned to listen first and ask questions about the science only if you hear something you like.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

The explanation is actually very simple: digital playback requires high levels of electrical cleaniness for audible artifacts not to be part of the picture. The sorry truth is that such is just the way that it is, because the designers, etc, haven't gone the yards to ensure that there is never an issue - until all the key participants realise this, grok the importance of getting this right, then there will be waving of hands, saying "Ahh, that's good enough ... the textbooks reckon I've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's ... nothing more is necessary!" ... and, it still won't sound "good enough" ...