IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

1 hour ago, jelt2359 said:

I guess the real magic sauce lies in Paul's circuit and design, which we have no access to. Another thread is a good start; but Uptone could probably also contact Paul directly to ask if he wants to license his designs out for manufacture. He's done that in the past with other partners, though always with him fronting the business.

I agree and think licensing Paul's designs is a great idea.

4 minutes ago, Superdad said:

We'll look forward to that.

Quite right, thanks.

Any of you can start a thread in our forum I guess.

As @jelt2359 described, a good portion of what everyone seems to like about Paul's unit is that they are "bespoke" builds, based on individual user selection of options,be they number of rails, output voltages, connectors, wiring, etc.  That's simply not a business I am interested in getting into at all.

As far as Paul's very fine discrete regulator design, it is hard for me to picture licensing of it to be economically viable--for Paul, for UpTone, or for the users, since profits need be factored in.  Besides, John Swenson and I are not convinced that absolute lowest noise is required for a high-current PS.  Very low output impedance and lack of kicked-back AC mains harmonics are also important and our simpler choke-filtered designed accomplishes that.

I'll let you know once I've had a chance to compare my Paul Hynes to my JS-2 (probably late summer based on my position in the queue).  9_9

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

The enclosure is very well finished, but the top and bottom plates are quite thin and do resonate when tapped. There is a slight mechanical hum from the transformer, not surprising considering its huge size. Later on, I’ll try adding my HRS footers and damping plate to see if they have an effect on SQ or the mechanical hum

Thanks for the detailed review!  Please keep us updated on your damping efforts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@paulhynes Please provide an update to the thread on the build schedule.  In particular, please let us know how actual deliveries have fared relative to your schedule as laid out on 11 February.  My perception based on very limited (and perhaps, erroneous) information is that you are completing and shipping units at far less than the planned rate of one per week. 

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, beautiful music said:

So why do you think @paulhynes has this option in his PSU despite his goal is to supply the best PSU to his consumers?

A Teflon circuit board reduces dielectric absorption in the regulator circuitry and the Vishay Z Foil ultra precision bulk foil resistors reduce resistor noise and thermal drift to very low levels. 

Who has real life expertise, Paul Hynes or marce?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, ctsooner said:

Possibly a bit off topic, but I have a Mac mini server that was Steve Nugent (Empirical Audio) personal unit.  I now am using Laufer Teknik Memory Player as it's world class.  My server is really special, but it runs on a large Paul Hynes LPS unit.  I odn' have the specifics, but I can get them from Steve.  Are these units worth much on the after market?  

The market value depends on the specific model.  Also, they don't appear often in the after market, so there isn't a lot of price history.

3 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Possibly a bit off topic, but I have a Mac mini server that was Steve Nugent (Empirical Audio) personal unit.  I now am using Laufer Teknik Memory Player as it's world class.  My server is really special, but it runs on a large Paul Hynes LPS unit.  I odn' have the specifics, but I can get them from Steve.  Are these units worth much on the after market?  

Check out these expired listings for some idea.  https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=paul+hynes