IGNORED

Proper Grounding a system

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

The phrase "'Noise' in ground are positive charged." does not itself make sense according to the common definitions of "noise" "ground" and "charge". Are you using a different language? If so, can you try and translate that to the English definitions we are using, along with the common Physics definitions we are using?

As I posted earlier "Noises" are a very missused term, by me as well in lack of better words. What I am referring to is EMI/RFI & AC/DC currents and voltages in shieldings, chassis and equipments ground planes which AFAIK the grounding boxes are suppose to deal with.

Grounding boxes is actually a very interesting subject. Partly because it is mysterious but mostly because it really works IRL. It is really sad that people try to make an interesting thread like this into a mine field instead of trying to help or enlight people with knowledge, real enthusiasm and true interest. I do not count you in here jabbr. I know that you know your things. It reminds me of the countless USB or Ethernet discussions that I hoped was history by now. Well, I was wrong. They just ended up here.

🎛️  Audio System  

22 minutes ago, Cornan said:

As I posted earlier "Noises" are a very missused term, by me as well in lack of better words. What I am referring to is EMI/RFI & AC/DC currents and voltages in shieldings, chassis and equipments ground planes which AFAIK the grounding boxes are suppose to deal with.

Grounding boxes is actually a very interesting subject. Partly because it is mysterious but mostly because it really works IRL. It is really sad that people try to make an interesting thread like this into a mine field instead of trying to help or enlight people with knowledge, real enthusiasm and true interest. I do not count you in here jabbr. I know that you know your things. It reminds me of the countless USB or Ethernet discussions that I hoped was history by now. Well, I was wrong. They just ended up here.

Yeah there may be many misconceptions. That's why we need to try and use common language. "Noise" hmm maybe just everything not in the desired "signal". So taking with your above definition: you are describing noise across the frequency spectrum and not in the signal path. 

One of the best points I've heard here is that the signal ground need not refer to earth ground per se, rather a 0V common reference point.

The other thing that we are talking about is a star grounding scheme. The idea is to minimize ground loops. Ground loops and leakage currents are a big problem and occur because there are impedances and thus voltage differences across the ground system. Star is a way to create a low impedance channel to the common reference point.

So the thread is provocatively titled and implies that a "proper" grounding system includes a box that's got pixie dust in it that does something special to electrons ... indeed may be an interesting subject but too much hand waving and use of arguments that don't seem to conform to the very very well established physics of electrical circuits.

I do think this is an interesting topic, and there may be some interesting filtering going on. There's waaaaay too much voodoo and hand waving put out by the vendors, and for me, at least, this is going to need to be explained using good old fashioned Physics of Electricity and Magnetism :)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

17 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Grounding boxes is actually a very interesting subject. Partly because it is mysterious but mostly because it really works IRL.

The problem is that there is no electrical or mechanical explanation provided for how these devices work.

The only two functions I can see that such an open circuit can perform are to act as a receiving or a broadcasting antenna.

Certainly receiving RFI is not a good thing, as that just injects additional noise into the device.

So, is it that it's broadcasting noise out as radio waves that makes this work? At least that will convert some of the noise energy into RFI. Even if this is the explanation,  I'd think that there are much better, more effective (and cheaper) ways to set up an antenna than using a wooden box with some rocks or dirt in it. 

Continuing on about 'grounds'. The are several correct usages for the word 'ground' associated with hi-fi- systems.

Some of them are:

a] Protective Earth/Safety Ground in the AC power system.

b] Mother earth mostly for high voltage safety.

c] Audio circuit common.

d] DC supply common.

e] Digital common.

f] Chassis.

g] Shield.

While there is often continuity between these different grounds, each has it's own functions.

Neither 'grounding boxes' nor EarthSide devices perform any of these functions.

16 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

The only two functions I can see that such an open circuit can perform are to act as a receiving or a broadcasting antenna.

Correct, because hi-fi components sometimes have incorrectly wired RCA & XLR chassis connectors, the wires to the grounding boxes can act as noise/interference antennas.

14 hours ago, Cornan said:

Grounding boxes is actually a very interesting subject. Partly because it is mysterious

Again this link, shows the basics, its not mysterious at all, its been well studied since Maxwell, not5 long after Heaviside created the theory's that are the basic for high speed design today (The telegrapher's equations). 

http://sites.ieee.org/ctx-emcs/files/2010/09/Archambeault-Ground-Myth.pdf

All I have done is post links and references to some of the many people who research this subject (EMC/signal integrity), the likes of Henry Ott, his book Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering is one of the go-to references for this sort of thing. So its not mysterious, its just part of electronic and system design, many of us face these problems everyday, that's why there is such a vast wealth of real information out there on EMC design and problem solving.

1 hour ago, marce said:

All I have done is post links and references to some of the many people who research this subject (EMC/signal integrity), the likes of Henry Ott, his book Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering is one of the go-to references for this sort of thing.

No, it is not all you have done! ;)

Basically what you have is a wire poked in a box of muck, crystals, BS; whatever you want to put in the box will have exactly the same effect, which is at worst case the wire acting as an antenna and picking up noise, at best nothing. Adding one of these boxes goes against all EMC guidelines and is just someone making money out of the misplaced belief that the Ground, earth etc is a big sink for noise etc.

Not very educational! 

1 hour ago, marce said:

Again this link, shows the basics, its not mysterious at all, its been well studied since Maxwell, not5 long after Heaviside created the theory's that are the basic for high speed design today (The telegrapher's equations). 

http://sites.ieee.org/ctx-emcs/files/2010/09/Archambeault-Ground-Myth.pdf

Good link, but it tells us nothing about what this thread is all about ie. grounding boxes/ground purifiers/ground enhancers/dirt boxes/shit boxes or whatever you like to call them. If they are not so mysterious to you I suggest you start explaining how you think they work or give us real life imprerssions about them instead of just posting pointless assumptions and links about Maxwell & Co which does´nt answer any questions about the actual boxes.

🎛️  Audio System  

They don't work and cant work as described in the marketing BS. Sticking a wire (unterminated ) out of a some electronics is rather silly,  

instead of just posting pointless assumptions and links about Maxwell & Co which does´nt answer any questions about the actual boxes.

This really does show your lack of understanding in all this... Page 24 of that particular link explains it ALL in relationship to these boxes (22 and 23 are also relevant), whilst the Henry Ott myths also shed a lot of light.

Maybe the designer of this box could give us an explanation... preferably one that obeys know physics.

These boxes wont sink any noise as it is a single wire that goes no where, noise etc. is an EMC problem, put up plenty of references and links that again show this is a daft idea. There is no proof to be found to support these boxes, so I don't expect any to appear, for those with a high frequency scope, stick a bit of wire on its input and have a look...

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

Not very educational! 

Good link, but it tells us nothing about what this thread is all about ie. grounding boxes/ground purifiers/ground enhancers/dirt boxes/shit boxes or whatever you like to call them. If they are not so mysterious to you I suggest you start explaining how you think they work or give us real life imprerssions about them instead of just posting pointless assumptions and links about Maxwell & Co which does´nt answer any questions about the actual boxes.

Maxwell, Heaviside, Ohm, Kirchhoff and others explain how real electricity works.  Why doesn't a proponent of grounding boxes explain how they work?

30 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

Why doesn't a proponent of grounding boxes explain how they work?

They do! Here's a 'detailed' description:

The Audio Sensibility Grounding Devices act as a sink to absorb excess negative charge in the component ground plane.

Besides all the obvious violations of laws of Physics, this tells me nothing as to why this might be a good thing.

There has been no empirical data wot-soever, casual listening test do not prove anything they are just anecdotal evidence. If there are any differences heard it is not due to noise reduction, possible noise being added due to external noise pick via the antenna that has been added.

As to objective/subjective, it has nothing to do with the argument, the main argument is about physics, it dose not matter what people hear or suspect they hear, we are broaching the subject of EMC and this is well studied with plenty of information of how to reduce noise within a system, proven methods of working.

As I stated earlier there are no other areas of electronics where this is done, none, no one hooks a box of dirt to some medical gear to reduce noise or any other sensitive piece of equipement. This and other devices like it are based on many peoples misplaced belief that earth is a sink for noise (I have put up two papers that disagree with this from eminent people in this area, there are many others). I have also asked for some proper information regarding how they are supposed to function based on known physics. Saying they absorb excess negative charge in the ground plane is just rubbish, noise can be negative or positive going in relation to a chosen reference plain, also charge? are we referring to static electricity here as ground plains in active electronic don't tend to charge up, this is why we plug ourselves in using an anti static wrist strap or similar before we handle sensitive electronics (all of them).

The posts I have put up are relevant education for those that don't understand EMC/Noise related coupling mechanisms to go away and learn some basics then they will have a better understanding of what is going on.

Personally these devices and similar snake products do not do the audio reproduction hobby any good whatsoever, they distract from the real issues, of which there are many and help perpetuate myths that just are not real.

On 5/17/2017 at 0:33 AM, Cornan said:

I beleive it means the QB8 is connected to a dedicated circuit and the grounding box is connected to the GND screw on the QB8. 

With that said I will leave you guys alone and come back when something interesting regarding grounding boxes or anything thread related turns up! ?

On 5/17/2017 at 0:33 AM, Cornan said:

I beleive it means the QB8 is connected to a dedicated circuit and the grounding box is connected to the GND screw on the QB8. 

With that said I will leave you guys alone and come back when something interesting regarding grounding boxes or anything thread related turns up! ?

Yes you are exactly right!

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

36 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

Perhaps you missed the second sentence of that paragraph? The one that reads "For more explanation go here."?

No, didn't miss it. What it takes you to is this:

http://www.audiosensibility.com/products/groundingdevices.htm#OriginOfDevices

This does not contain any explanation, at all. There is a link to the DYIAudio website which contains a ton of discussion by others. What's missing is a clear explanation by the manufacturer of the device of how it operates without violating laws of nature. Point me to that, please, preferably in less than a 2,346 page discussion thread.

36 minutes ago, Daudio said:

Obviously you are not able to suspend dis-belief enough to look for any possible causes of this effect. Nor do you credit the existing listening reports. I've been an audiophile long enough to see crazy stuff like we see here to actually develop into some quite real in theory and equipment. Maybe this will, maybe it won't, but In think it deserves a chance, not a blanket dismissal.

So, I ask you to please bow out of this discussion If you can't try and dig deeper into the phenomena.  You have made your points and they are noted.

Thanks, and Bye for now.

It would be better if you added information to the discussion rather than ignoring reality.

2 hours ago, Speedskater said:

Maxwell, Heaviside, Ohm, Kirchhoff and others explain how real electricity works.  Why doesn't a proponent of grounding boxes explain how they work?

Which form of electricity? :D

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

8 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

That would be almost two centuries of science and engineering reality.

You're not taught everything in class though. :P

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels