IGNORED

Sonore ultraRendu v1.3

On 6/16/2017 at 7:08 PM, vortecjr said:

FYI the production samples are in and working great so things are moving in the right direction. 

I got the e-mail, but I would like to wait for the first reviews before biting, especially a review comparing the ultrarendu to the microrendu, which i already have.

1 minute ago, vortecjr said:

Just do it or get the microRendu 1.4 hardware update. IMHO you won't regret it:)

Okay, I'll bite.  Could you kindly point me to where I can get the hardware update?  I could get that update first, and then regroup for the ultrarendu.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

If you guys don't mind...I would like to make the review official with a quote:)

John cargo said, "Classier! Sonore's ultraRendu takes digital audio higher still"

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/07/classier-sonores-ultrarendu-takes-digital-audio-higher-still

Read more  

Personally, I don't mind at all, except for two caveats:  the name is "Darko," and his review is almost giving my microrendu an inferiority complex (even with its up and coming 1.4 bells and whistles), and my wallet is already looking for somewhere to hide:)!  Okay, make that 3 caveats:)!

31 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

That was fixed right away...you probably replied to the email. I don't look at it that way. The microRendu is a work horse and according to its owners it was an improvement over whatever they were doing last. That is a win in my book. If you follow professional cycling it's like winning a stage and not winning the race. A win is a win and both are an accomplishment.  

You know, I do not disagree with you regarding the rules of what you're calling "professional cycling" or perpetual renovations, and I am still not done enjoying the sonic marvels of my microrendu as yet. In fact, you could say I am still in my "honeymoon" phase with the microrendu, since I only acquired mine in May, so it is indeed a "win" in my book... However, the ultra is still haunting my wallet and giving it sleepless nights, and that apparently can't be helped, so you need not worry about that...  I bet you remember what someone, who shall remain nameless, has said about "winning," or not wanting to stop winning...:) Maybe there is so much "winning" nowadays in high performance computer audio that it is becoming hard for a regular guy like me to take:)

24 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

News flash:

I may have forgotten to mentioned that we have been working with Audirvana the past couple months:) For those of you who don't already know the micro/ultraRendu will accept Audirvana streams very shortly. I have been testing the Audirvana beta release and it's working very well. I'll prepare a how to guide next, but its very easy to setup.     

Wonderful!  Incidentally, have you considered a similar arrangement with Sonic Studio/Amarra too, by any chance?

4 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

We only allow one software application to send streams at a time. 

Ok, that's understandable. and talking about "resistance is futile," the Sonic studio/Amarra streaming functionality too would be nice.  Just saying :)

I've just seen a very favorable review of the microrendu 1.4...  I am looking forward very eagerly to reviews of the ultra too, because there is room for a second possible unit in my home rigs, and the ultra, if it is as great as rumored, makes a lot more sense than getting a micro 1.3 and then going for the 1.4 (unless of course the 1.3 is one of the discounted B-stock units, or bought used, but still).

I'm impatient to hear what new Ultra owners think of their new toy.

• vortecjr featured and unfeatured this topic

Ok Guys:  Jesus has done what he can to help me in handling my Ultrarendu set up issues via e-mail, but he has now referred my problem to Alex, whom I have contacted, since the problem seems to be actually related to my LPS-1. While I wait for Alex to respond, let me see if I can benefit from the collective wisdom of forum members on this thread, in troubleshooting the issue.

The problem is simply that when the Ultrarendu is connected to the LPS-1, it goes offline, and is not visible at the sonicorbiter.com site. Please note that it replaced a microrendu which was installed in the same chain of components, and working flawlessly minutes before.  However, after swapping the microrendu back into place, by reconnecting it to my ethernet line and the LPS-1, in order to replace the non-functioning Ultrarendu, I discovered that it too (i.e. the microrendu) has in turn stopped playing nice with the LPS-1.

It is actually Jesus who told me that I might be having PS-related issues (to my surprise, I admit it). He simply had me connect the Meanwell PS directly to the Ultrarendu, thus bypassing the LPS-1, and when I did that everything turned back on, and I could now see the Ultrarendu and its specs at the Sonicorbiter.com site as expected.  I have even finished configuring my Ultrarendu in this state.

Now the obvious remaining problem is getting the LPS-1 to play nice, once again, with both rendus, because I want to power them with the LPS-1 rather than the Meanwell PS, as I am sure all will understand.  This is where i need the assistance of those who are familiar with such PS-related issues.  

I am waiting to hear back from Alex, but if anyone has some helpful thoughts to offer, in the meantime, their input would be really appreciated.  Thanks.

36 minutes ago, sahmen said:

Ok Guys:  Jesus has done what he can to help me in handling my Ultrarendu set up issues via e-mail, but he has now referred my problem to Alex, whom I have contacted, since the problem seems to be actually related to my LPS-1. While I wait for Alex to respond, let me see if I can benefit from the collective wisdom of forum members on this thread, in troubleshooting the issue.

The problem is simply that when the Ultrarendu is connected to the LPS-1, it goes offline, and is not visible at the sonicorbiter.com site. Please note that it replaced a microrendu which was installed in the same chain of components, and working flawlessly minutes before.  However, after swapping the microrendu back into place, by reconnecting it to my ethernet line and the LPS-1, in order to replace the non-functioning Ultrarendu, I discovered that it too (i.e. the microrendu) has in turn stopped playing nice with the LPS-1.

It is actually Jesus who told me that I might be having PS-related issues (to my surprise, I admit it). He simply had me connect the Meanwell PS directly to the Ultrarendu, thus bypassing the LPS-1, and when I did that everything turned back on, and I could now see the Ultrarendu and its specs at the Sonicorbiter.com site as expected.  I have even finished configuring my Ultrarendu in this state.

Now the obvious remaining problem is getting the LPS-1 to play nice, once again, with both rendus, because I want to power them with the LPS-1 rather than the Meanwell PS, as I am sure all will understand.  This is where i need the assistance of those who are familiar with such PS-related issues.  

I am waiting to hear back from Alex, but if anyone has some helpful thoughts to offer, in the meantime, their input would be really appreciated.  Thanks.

Never mind.  Alex got in touch : problem solved!  

Alex is da man!

12 hours ago, esmit said:

How?

Short version?  By power-cycling the LPS-1 ! (okay now I am feeling kinda stupid about this O.o)...

Seriously though, my understanding is that something hanged (or froze) in the LPS-1, when I swapped in the ultraRendu, and it needed to reboot or reset itself, and that "frozen" situation also screwed up the connectivity of the attached rendus... ,  The funny thing is, before contacting Jesus and Alex, I power-cycled everything I could think of, including my router, except the LPS-1 of course, because it still had its green light on, and I did not suspect that an apparently "good" functioning PS unit could cause such network related problems.  Live and learn:)

5 minutes ago, genjamon said:

Yeah, and could you comment on whether the delta between 1.3 and 1.4 is larger or smaller than the 1.4 to ultra delta?

I can't, unfortunately... I sent the 1.3 in for the update after listening to it for about just a month.  When I got the 1.4 back, I thought I was hearing a noticeable difference, but to be honest, I could not tell for sure if the difference was real or "placebo." I blame that uncertainty simply on the limitations of audio memory, and not on those of the equipment themselves.  I think the best way to compare the 1.3 with the 1.4 is to play them both in house, side by side, or in close sequence, but that is something I obviously can't do because I have only 1 microrendu...  On the other hand, it was easier for me to compare the 1.4 with the Ultrarendu, because I auditioned the 1.4 for about an hour before replacing it with the Ultrarendu in the same chain...  Differences were more easily discernible this way.

3 minutes ago, rickca said:

Thanks a lot @sahmen, that's not underwhelming at all.  IIRC you had a 1.3 microRendu and updated it to a 1.4 (clock upgrade) microRendu, right?  Then I guess you also bought an ultraRendu.

So I think @genjamon has a good question.  What was the bigger change, microRendu 1.3 to 1.4 or microRendu 1.4 to ultraRendu?

With the caveats expressed in the previous post (about audio memory) in place, I would say i discern a bigger delta between the 1.4 and the Ultrarendu, than between the 1.3 and 1.4.  The ultrarendu sort of "slaps you in the face" with the differences it brings, so they are harder to go unnoticed :)

• 1 year later...

Hey guys:  I just got my Yggy back from the Analog2 upgrade, and for some reason, when I insert it back into the chain where it used to belong, I cannot get my ultrarendu to see it, when hooked up via USB...  This Yggy has the USB 5, which it did before the Analog2 upgrade, but I never experienced this interface problem before...

I can get the Ultrarendu and Yggy to work nice together, when I throw the Schiit Eitr into the mix, like this:

Ultrarendu ==>> Phasure Lush USB ==>> Schiit Eitr ==>> S/PDiF coax cable ==>> Schiit Yggy... (This works fine)

But this one does not seem to work :

Ultrarendu ==>> Phasure Lush USB ==>> Yggdrasil...   (Sonicorbiter's DAC diagnostics report that I have no USB attached, when I do this)

If anyone has experienced an issue like this before, and knows how to resolve it, your thoughts would be welcome.

Full disclosure:  I am powering my Ultrarendu with an Uptone Audio LPS 1.2, in case this has something to do with it, which I doubt very much...  But there you have it...  I'm just stumped...  I prefer the direct USB 5 connection to the  Schiit Eitr/SPDIF interface, which is why I would like to get this remedied.  Thanks.

25 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Have you got a certified USB 2.0 cable to test (like a printer cable)?

Just a temporary test, to see if it's the Lush cable?

I can certainly do that and report back.  However, the Lush cable was playing absolutely nice with the Yggy's USB 5 module, before the Yggy went off for the Analog 2 upgrade (which did not have anything to do with USB at all), so I wonder.  I shall test with a generic USB cable and report back.

12 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Have you got a certified USB 2.0 cable to test (like a printer cable)?

Just a temporary test, to see if it's the Lush cable?

12 hours ago, rlow said:

If that doesn't work, do you have a PC you could plug into the Yggy direct USB as well to try?

Well, I used a different USB 2.0 cable to plug my Macbook Pro into the Yggy's USB 5 directly, and my MacBook pro too does not see the Yggy as a viable sound card...  So something is definitely screwy with the USB 5's functionality...

I've contacted Schiit Audio and gotten the following initial response, which does not make much sense to me, but I am no expert, so maybe someone here might help me to figure this out:

"It turns out that when exclusive mode in Roon is turned on, it somehow sets the Audio MIDI setup for the device *Yggdrasil Gen 5) to be 32 bit. Manually setting the Yggdrasil to 2ch 24-bit Integer 192.0 kHz get sound working again. In my Roon device Playback settings, have the Sample Rate (PCM) set to Up to 192 and the Max Bits Per Sample (PCM) to 24 bits. It LOOKS like when put into exclusive mode, 32 bits it being set and the Yggdrasil seems to not like that."

First of all, I am not getting why this should . have anything to do with Roon, and I also do not know how I can manually change any settings on the Yggy, or via audio midi settings, when it is not even showing up on my Macbook pro, when connected via USB.

The biggest puzzle to me is that the USB 5 on the Yggy was working seamlessly and flawlessly with my rig before the Analog 2 upgrade trip...   Is there something about the Analog 2 upgrade process that has screwed with the functionality of the USB 5?  I do not know, but I am still in communication with Schiit Audio about this, and we shall see where that leads...