IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestion:  Get rid of the reputation thing, or at least the negative reps and display count under the avatar.

I guess I am grateful that I have a large positive number, but I just saw the post of a perfectly reasonable member, a good citizen, etc, who has a fairly large negative number in red below his avatar.  That just doesn't seem right.  Some people have numbers here higher than that of Chris.  Whereas I think everyone regards those folks highly, that just doesn't seem right either.  But it is the down-voting and the negative numbers, along with the running tally on display, that I think can have a bit of a negative impact...

42 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Do you think the reputation system changes what people say when posting?

I found the notifications of who was liking me (I either never got a dislike, or I only got notifications of the likes) a bit awkward.  I sort of felt compelled to like something they said, back, and it did probably change what I post, but not for the better.  Enough so that I turned off all notifications, so now I have no idea if someone "likes" my post unless I go back and look for it.  Sometimes I get a "like" for something that was intended to be funny, which I guess is nice, but it has nothing to do with helpfulness content or anything like that.

All of this is only a suggestion, and I even understand that this was implemented before the software upgrade, but it seems to have taken on a new prominence somehow with the upgrade.  But what really bothered me was seeing someone who I have always regarded as a good citizen and not particularly controversial or abrasive or anything with a -80 bright red number.  If that was me, I would probably just quit the forum rather than be forced to display the scarlet integer.

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

OK, what about the change I just made to not show the total reputation points, but still have the Up/Down voting on each thread?

I just up-voted it, but I feel obligated to like it the old-fashioned way, too.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'd like to make a suggestion.  In the case of threads that have little or nothing to do with audio per se, but that are focused on individual personalities (here, or especially elsewhere), I wonder if it might be worth putting them in a designated subforum (maybe titled something like "Under the Bridge").  Threads like "Michael Lavorgna strikes back" seem to bring out the worst in everyone (I include myself in this) and don't reflect positively upon any of us, and probably give a skewed perspective to visitors to the site.

For example, a visitor to the General Forum sees these two "hot topics" as the most active:

(I only just now decided to try the "ignore topic" button, but they still get listed.)

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 8.37.22 AM.png

• 9 months later...