IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

On 7/9/2021 at 2:03 PM, Miska said:
On 7/8/2021 at 1:30 PM, rossco said:

I came to use the desktop version in Linux Mint and I can open the software (4.12.2-47 I think) but then I cannot actually click on anything, it doesnt respond. I have tried killing the app and also reinstalling. Everything else seems to be working on the PC. Any ideas?

Network issue accessing NAA or the previously used content? Or some other problem accessing the DAC?

Its actually on the HQ Player Desktop. So if I open HQ Player 4 Desktop, or OS Style, I cannot click on anything, not file, Matrix, volume, browse, literally nothing. I accidentally opened a second instance of HQ Player Desktop, so I had two open, and the new instance I have normal functionality. If I then close the old instance, I again lose the ability to click on the new instance anyway.

I have used lots of other programmes over the last week and I have not seen this behaviour in anything else.

Any idea on how to fix?

11 hours ago, rossco said:

Its actually on the HQ Player Desktop. So if I open HQ Player 4 Desktop, or OS Style, I cannot click on anything, not file, Matrix, volume, browse, literally nothing. I accidentally opened a second instance of HQ Player Desktop, so I had two open, and the new instance I have normal functionality. If I then close the old instance, I again lose the ability to click on the new instance anyway.

I have used lots of other programmes over the last week and I have not seen this behaviour in anything else.

Any idea on how to fix?

It is likely either audio output (or input if selected) device. You can use the second instance of HQPlayer to clear the settings using the provided Help-menu option and then close both instances and start over.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, Miska said:

It is likely either audio output (or input if selected) device. You can use the second instance of HQPlayer to clear the settings using the provided Help-menu option and then close both instances and start over.

Thank you, this worked!

Hi @mika, for Intel CPU support AVX2 running Ubuntu desktop, would you recommend the HQP Desktop Intel optimised or the AMD optimised version? (Assume both version can run the same set of filter and mudulator)

Understand from one of your posts few months ago, the CPU load on both version is just about 1-2% different. Do you see any difference in CPU temperature? Not sure if my understand is correct but it seem like the AVX2 instruction set typically stretch the CPU more than the SSE4.1 therefore it will generate more heat as well. Thanks.

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex H3V3 case - i7-14700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

Ubiquiti EdgerouterX SFP / Sonore Optical Module / Linear Power Supply for all

7 hours ago, chipvn said:

Hi @mika, for Intel CPU support AVX2 running Ubuntu desktop, would you recommend the HQP Desktop Intel optimised or the AMD optimised version? (Assume both version can run the same set of filter and mudulator)

Understand from one of your posts few months ago, the CPU load on both version is just about 1-2% different. Do you see any difference in CPU temperature? Not sure if my understand is correct but it seem like the AVX2 instruction set typically stretch the CPU more than the SSE4.1 therefore it will generate more heat as well. Thanks.

If you have Intel CPU, you can choose either one and it usually doesn't make a huge difference. Unless you have AVX-512 support in your CPU in which case the Intel/generic build may be better.

I very rarely look at CPU temps, since they are usually at least some 20C away from thermal limits anyway. So I'm not very interested on temperatures unless something stops working. Which would indicate insufficient or malfunctioning cooling system.

If you have AMD CPU, you should always use the AMD build as the Intel/generic build suffers big performance hit.

Thank you for the info.

I'll try to see if they have significant difference in CPU temp after a long listening session or not.

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex H3V3 case - i7-14700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

After compared between the AMD optimized vs the Intel optimized version with my passive cooled i7-9700 on Ubuntu Desktop 20.04.2 Desktop, I found out that the AMD optimized version slightly cooler than the Intel/generic version. Not sure if the -1 AVX offset that I'm using contribute anything to this result or not. 

However, for those who are using active cooling system, the difference might be very minor to see the significant different in CPU temperature due to the dynamic fan speed control.

Hi

I would appreciate some help from @miska with an issue I have with HQPlayer Embedded. I have an Audiostore server which runs SonicTransporter. HQPlayer Embedded comes as one of the installable options with the unit.

When I navigate to the Settings page for HQPlayer and try to set the location of the music library, then, no matter what I input as “Path” before starting a scan, I get the message “Success! Please wait 10 seconds for process to complete”, but then the page comes back showing the library contains 0 items.

I guess my question is, what is the correct syntax to specify the path? Or is there some reason why the library can’t be set in the embedded version of HQP?

Many thanks.

Peter

8 hours ago, skipspence said:

Please remind me if HQP OS also works on AMD CPU, and if used, is HQP OS already optimized for AMD or not?

It works, but at the moment it is not optimized for AMD. For short while the build was such, but I reverted back to generic/Intel build to support smaller Embedded CPUs that don't have AVX2. For bigger AMD CPUs the option at the moment is to use Ubuntu Server and AMD optimized build on it. Or if one prefers HQPlayer OS on a bigger CPU, to use Intel CPUs.

19 hours ago, Miska said:

I disable snaps feature altogether by removing snapd etc.

Only server component that makes sense installing is SSH server (not as snap, but regular package).

Is there anything else you disable.Still have 200 services running ?

12 hours ago, Miska said:

... For bigger AMD CPUs the option at the moment is to use Ubuntu Server and AMD optimized build on it. ...

Could you please provide a link to HQPlayer Linux Desktop 4.12.2  "AMD optimized build" for Ubuntu 20.04, I could not find this link on https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

Thank you.

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

7 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Is there anything else you disable.Still have 200 services running ?

Where does this figure come from?

2 hours ago, volpone said:

Could you please provide a link to HQPlayer Linux Desktop 4.12.2  "AMD optimized build" for Ubuntu 20.04, I could not find this link on https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

On that page, click on the "Other downloads" button.

26 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Proccesses running not services.880712656_Proc1.thumb.PNG.90b6f0b9729795ab419493644305ac5e.PNG

Doesn't sound like extraordinary number to me. But you could check what they are. But those are existing processes, doesn't mean they are actually running. Likely they are pretty much all sleeping and waiting for some wakeup event. And many of those are likely just kernel threads.

For example on my Linux Mint laptop (with Cinnamon desktop) I'm writing this on:

"Tasks: 268 total,   4 running, 264 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie"

So 4 out of 268 are running.

On 7/22/2021 at 3:49 PM, Woland said:

Is it possible to use the "USB Audio Class 2 input" on a Raspberry Pi,  HQPlayer OS setup?

It would be fantastic if we couod use a Raspberry Pi as an upscaling DDC and take advantage of the quality HAT interfaces available.